Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SRX-11 issues

delirium

So I bought SRX-11 to put it in my juno-g, and I play it through FP-5. I am a little disapointed to tell the truth. Is that really the best piano sound from Roland up to date?

After an hour of playing I see problems with middle range, e.g in superior grand patch sounds a little like from the tube and it's very "metallic", plus in some other piano pathes (e.g rockFP) C2 tone "rings" quite loaud.... Low and high end sound OK though.

And I use good headphones.

does SRX requires some tweaking?

thanks

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

well, I want to use for both. Practice and recording plus gigs.

By "from the tube" I meant the midrange tone has an "megaphone" quality if you know what I mean.

What piano1 and piano4 is? I don't have listed such names. First is Suberb Grand e.g.

In FP5 I use low touch settings and in juno I have: velocity set to "Real" and touch to medium.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I tried out the SRX-11 recently and did not like it but after a couple of days I bought it anyway to try in my own rig just to give it a chance. I tried it through different combibinations of speakers and via headphones and I agreee with your characterization of it's sound. Very disappointing. I am returning it tomorrow.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Originally posted by lowerhodes:

I tried out the SRX-11 recently and did not like it but after a couple of days I bought it anyway to try in my own rig just to give it a chance. I tried it through different combibinations of speakers and via headphones and I agreee with your characterization of it's sound. Very disappointing. I am returning it tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm returning it too. The juno-g grand piano

is actually better then this, at least very even at whole range. I'm supriced that they sell that for 250$ or so. Should cost 50$ max.

I may endup with Ivory virtual piano, because I see Roland and others only want to rip off people

with money never giving fully satisfying product.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Jazz++, for now I have only tested srx-11 on headphones, since thats the true sound.

So far I was using FP5 on gigs through kc150, and piano sound is ok, at least it's even in all range, no "ringing" etc. but unfortunatelly it's not full enough and inspiring for me. That why I bought srx-11.

And actually I can see potential in this card if that "megaphone" quiality of sound could be removed, and ringing of different tones.

Probably as I see it Roland did that and put that sound to RD700SX, I'll go to GC and will test that. Also Fantom piano sound much better.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I don't think Roland is trying to rip people off. I think this just illustrates how different the same sample can sound depending on amplification/headphones/keyboard/module used, the technique of the player, their ears and what genre of music it's being applied to. I actually prefer the sound of my little ME-1 but I don't think that makes it better.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

A similar patch is on the 700sx. It is not a megaphone-like, but the sound is still there. To tweak it, I had to eq a 4db dip at 600hz with a Q of 0.5. I also warmed it up with a 3 db bump centered at 100 hz, Q of 0.5. I also had to make the velocity curve more heavy to favour the lower velocity samples. That helps. It also sounds better with a warm pad as a second layer played at a very low level. Hope that helps.

7notemode

great job ! You did an excellent job editing , which patch ? Superior grand ?

Your runs are flawless, very nice

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

7notemode,

I did adjustment similar like you did

(eq a 4db dip at 600hz with a Q of 0.5. 3 db bump centered at 100 hz, Q of 0.5)

and I must say the megaphone sound is gone...

:thu:

thanks for tip, maybe it won't go back to store after all

I guess all patches on that card need to be tweaked that way. Stil question remains, why roland don't do this right in frist place. On harmony Central site this card got very low ratings because of that, megaphone thing many people complained about.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

The EQ settings from patch 10 (BrightPop V/S) work very well when applied to earlier piano patches on the SRX-11. Fantom X users try this:

1. Copy an SRX-11 piano you like to a Fantom user bank

2. Edit that patch, applying Effect 1 (EQ)

3. Set the EQ as follows:

200Hz : +3dB

500Hz : -4dB

2500Hz : -4dB

8000Hz : +6db

4. Save

I find it to be more expressive with less of the megaphone quality mentioned in a previous post. A pretty decent stage piano.

delerium,

Roland gets so close, and then flubs it on a minor detail. As frustrating as their piano patches are, I still prefer them over anything else. Also, the SRX-02 has been universally trashed, but I really dig it. You just have to set the touch of the keyboard MUCH lighter than ususal. For instance, on the Superior Grand, I play on Medium touch +8. On the SRX-02 i play at Medium -8. I also scooped out 3db of bass at 100hz Q=0.5. That is a long way of saying that Roland flubbed another piano patch with eq problems and setting the velocity switch points wrong. The exact same issue with the SRX-11.

My favorite combo with the Superior Grand is to add a low volume warm pad to it. Sounds great.

Originally posted by 7notemode:

delerium,

Roland gets so close, and then flubs it on a minor detail. As frustrating as their piano patches are, I still prefer them over anything else. Also, the SRX-02 has been universally trashed, but I really dig it. You just have to set the touch of the keyboard MUCH lighter than ususal. For instance, on the Superior Grand, I play on Medium touch +8. On the SRX-02 i play at Medium -8. I also scooped out 3db of bass at 100hz Q=0.5. That is a long way of saying that Roland flubbed another piano patch with eq problems and setting the velocity switch points wrong. The exact same issue with the SRX-11.

My favorite combo with the Superior Grand is to add a low volume warm pad to it. Sounds great.

You probably right, but Roland policy on that is a mistery... (what kind of logic they use :freak: )

I tested yesterday RD700SX in GC and after that SRX-11 tweaking you adviced I preffer SRX-11 over RD700SX. RD700SX has no deep that SRX-11 has.

(unless RD700SX again reqires some tweaking :D )

BTW I don't see in my keyboard control ability to set to minus, e.g -8. I have 0-127 velocity plus default "Real" and medium, heavy and light touch.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

No, I thought the megaphone sound is gone, but not really. You can get used to though, but when you switch from "normal" sound you'll notice that immediately. It will go back to store.

But with that tweaking ideas I managed to tweak original piano sound from juno and it sound really good now.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Archived