Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bösendorfer CEUS - Closer to the ideal hybrid piano

K K

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny because everyday here I read comments about how every digital keyboard are "so far from a real grand action", etc. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

And then when there's one coming out, everyone condemns it without even trying it. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Hey, I really like those blablabla avatars. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

I didn't see a wire to the pedals.... Are they for show?

I'm with Dave Horne... you can bury me in it if you wish.

Hey if you're 5 feet tall you could actually fit!

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

My criticisms of the the CEUS stem from the price. If it was 1/10th the asking price I would be far less critical and more interested. At $32,000 it should look sexy beyond words. It should be a state-of-the-art fully programmable MIDI controller. It should have a sound source that's unrivaled. I think it falls short in a number of key areas.

The Yamaha GranTouch is probably the closest equivalent to the CEUS. It's a full grand piano action, but it's a digital piano. I believe it sold for $5,000 to $6,000. It's no longer available in the USA (apparently didn't sell in great enough numbers). Still the case looks more like a grand piano and would be much more attractive in the home or in a club than the CEUS.

Busch.

I believe this thing is designed as a digital piano to satisfy for most demanding concert pianists. But they won't play a digital anyway, they'll play the real thing. and at this price point, you can get a pretty decent grand :)

and people who would actually agree to play a digital, would prefer a normal (read 1/15th of the price) digital piano, weighting 1/10th of this beast.

So this thing is just an experiment, in my eyes. No doubt, it can influence some development it the industry. Really, why not put several gByte samples into digital piano instead of several Mbytes? It won't cost much more, maybe $500 more.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

A totally fascinating concept, but I agree with bloodyMary. It's an experimental breakthrough that can lead to some good trickle down technology. (And if it's 100 lbs. or more, it might as well be a thousand, or a real piano - I'm not picking it up.) It's portability isn't being touted anyway.

I just saw sort of a 'review' of it that was high on praise ("amazing, incredible", etc.) and low on details. The praise was given to its playback ability more than it's playability. (The CEUS computer can also be installed in some acoustic Bosendorfers.)

I'm not saying this keyboard won't be great, but I did find one claim that didn't jive: it says it's unaffected by temperature or humidity, "never" requiring "regulation" or tuning.

Since when has any piano action been immune to wear and tear, not requiring some regulation or repair over time? I guess a little hype has started to seep in. And at these prices, we don't want sales hype... hopefully just some facts.

In the 'real' Grand side, the price of a grand is often related to its size. This being extremely short is deserving of a significant discount from the real Bosendorfer :D

As it is, you can find a real Bosie used for this price. And if you're a big star, you're going to demand a big Bosie or Steinway D backline. Thus it is interesting at this range what the market is.

Maybe the Elton Johns who don't care about price.

In any case, it's fun to look at and Cy will keep us up to date on it.

As it is, you can find a real Bosie used for this price. And if you're a big star, you're going to demand a big Bosie or Steinway D backline. Thus it is interesting at this range what the market is.

FYI: If you're a Steinway Artist, Steinway will provide you with either a B or D free of charge. You pay the delivery (to/from) charges as well as tuning. Major cities in the USA have pianos in inventory. I played the B from the Seattle inventory. It's an unbelievable piano. Absolutely everything you've come to expect from the best of the Steinway sound. The technician told me when these are sold, people line up around the block to bid.

To become a Steinway Artist you must a) own a Steinway and b) be a recording artist (nowadays that's not as big a hurdle as it once was).

Busch.

It's an experimental breakthrough that can lead to some good trickle down technology.

Hasn't this technology been around for quite a while?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

It's an experimental breakthrough that can lead to some good trickle down technology.

Hasn't this technology been around for quite a while?

Well, sure it has... it's built on previous technology like most things are, but supposedly not at this level of computing capability in a keyboard. The $32,000 price tag isn't the only thing new here. The trickle down would be as bloodyMary mentioned, with future keyboards maybe having gigabyte capacity.

... but supposedly not at this level of computing capability in a keyboard.

Really?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

FYI: If you're a Steinway Artist, Steinway will provide you with either a B or D free of charge. You pay the delivery (to/from) charges as well as tuning. Major cities in the USA have pianos in inventory. I played the B from the Seattle inventory. It's an unbelievable piano. Absolutely everything you've come to expect from the best of the Steinway sound. The technician told me when these are sold, people line up around the block to bid.

To become a Steinway Artist you must a) own a Steinway and b) be a recording artist (nowadays that's not as big a hurdle as it once was).

Busch.

Hey I'm on my way with this, Busch. I am a Steinway owner. Now I just have to be a famous artist....I don't need no stinkin' CEUS. :grin: I need my free Steinway D everytime I perform...

BTW Busch, I tried out the Concert Prepped D's and B's at the Steinway dealer, ready to be lent out to some star in L.A. Sweet!

Archived