Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which rack/module should I buy ?

RemcoG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is best for you depends on the kinds of sounds you like to have, the styles of music you play, whether you plan to use it in studio or live, your level of synthesis experience, etc.

You'll want to give us more information to get an informed answer. Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

I am assuming you are playing neo prog. I guess you are looking for a variety of sounds and some aggressive leads.

Jens Johannsen was triggering a JV1080 with a DX7/controller until recently. For a budget of $600 I would suggest a used rom based synth module from one of the large manufacturers (Roland XV or JV, Korg TR Rack, etc.). Or possibly a Kurzweil K2000 rack, if you want to get deeper into sound design.

Additionally you could consider getting a small, high sound count keyboard like the Roland XP30 or Yamaha CS6 and use it for your B3/synth sounds, while using the controller to drive the piano sounds of that keyboard. Whil none of these solutions are perfect, they'll get the job done live.

Jerry

Along with the Roland JV/XV series and Korg recommendations, a Yamaha Motif module or an E-mu Proteus 2000 might be worth considering too.

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Posted by Sven Golly:

How long is a piece of string

These stopping potentials of string were measured for the given photon frequencies and their molecular structure to determine exactly how long the string is. So I came up with a formula to help us all understand this issue:

(6.91 x 1014 Hz, 0.55 v) x (7.41 x 1014 Hz, 0.73 v)- (8.22 x 1014 Hz, 1.69 v) x(11.83 x 1014 Hz, 2.59 v) + (5.00 x 1014 Hz, 0.21 v) x(6.00 x 1014 Hz, 0.63 v) / (6.65 x 1014 Hz, 0.91 v) x (7.50 x 1014 Hz, 1.26 v) = How long the string is.

I hope this clarifies any confusion :D

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Wonder what the stopping potential is of pulling these strings?

http://www.bullz-eye.com/gallery_shots/g-string/g-string_mary_1.jpg

just alittle counter weight solution to the problem!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Sorry, we were talking about racks units, single space, double space! Just a good rack unit!

Sorry demon lust has taken me over once again!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Originally posted by Legatoboy:

Wonder what the stopping potential is of pulling these strings?

Or these strings? ;)

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/there_s_something_about_mary/_group_photos/ben_stiller3.jpg

I guess we could go on and on about String Theory!

Mose Allison: Your Molecular Structure

Your Molecular Structure

Is really something fine

A first rate example of functional design

Your cosmic undulations are steady coming thru

Your molecular structure me and u

Your celluar organization

Is really something choice

Electromagnatism make me loose my voice

Got all my circuits open

My systems reading go

Your celluar organization

Starting to show

.... (piano solo)

Your Molecular Structure

Is really something swell

A high freq. modulated Jezzabelle

Thermodynamically your getting thru to me

Your Molecular Structure baby ohwee

oh well!

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

(6.91 x 1014 Hz, 0.55 v) x (7.41 x 1014 Hz, 0.73 v)- (8.22 x 1014 Hz, 1.69 v) x(11.83 x 1014 Hz, 2.59 v) + (5.00 x 1014 Hz, 0.21 v) x(6.00 x 1014 Hz, 0.63 v) / (6.65 x 1014 Hz, 0.91 v) x (7.50 x 1014 Hz, 1.26 v) = How long the string is.

I hope this clarifies any confusion :D [/QB]

I think this creates any confusion ;)

Originally posted by RemcoG:

Would the JV1010 be a good buy ?

I would love to buy the Triton Rack but I can't find it :(

Depends on the price. It has plenty of decent sounds, but a poor user interface due to the small form factor. $150-200 is probably max those things are worth these days (though I have not recently searched eBay historical prices).

Originally posted by RemcoG:

Would the JV1010 be a good buy ?

I would love to buy the Triton Rack but I can't find it :(

Well, it would appear that you missed the point earlier, so...

In order for anyone to give you any useful advice, you'll need to be a little more descriptive about your needs. "Live progressive rock" might mean one thing to you, and another thing to someone else.

Based on your current (lack of) information, there's no way someone can give you a truly useful answer. While you continue to post single-sentence posts, you'll never get a proper answer.

:( $375 is pretty expensive..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-JV1010-SOUND-MODULE-LIKE-JV1080-XV3080-XV5080_W0QQitemZ180004268153QQihZ008QQcategoryZ58722QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

better to pay $399(samash) for a xv-2020(because of SRX cards) or a used motif rack. I heard about original motif rack had some timing issues and were never completely fixed.

Originally posted by Silver Dragon Sound:

Posted by Sven Golly:

How long is a piece of string

These stopping potentials of string were measured for the given photon frequencies and their molecular structure to determine exactly how long the string is. So I came up with a formula to help us all understand this issue:

I don't believe that formula. If we are doing strings there has to be a brace of "i"s and a little h with a bar through it in there somewhere. And someone should be waving hands just out of eyeshot.

Considering the stated pref for prog-rock, I'm sort of surprised by the recommendations for JV-series and TR-Rack. I own a TR-Rack but would never think of it as a prog-rock module; nor even my Motif Rack ES even loaded with the PLG150-AN VA board.

I STRONGLY recommend the Kurzweil PC2r, as it will cover almost, if not all of, your bases. You'll need the Classic Keys expansion and probably the Orchestral as well (I'm not even sure if you can load Classic Keys without already having Orchestral installed, but it's probably a moot point as the newer shipments seem to be fully loaded). Probably $900-$1100 total cost.

This will cover your electric pianos, clavinets, Hammond B3 organs, and quite a few of the classic ELP/Yes/Genesis/etc. mellotron and analog synth sounds. A decent layerered piano as well.

If you're going to be a bit more piano-centric and/or need a quality piano sound but don't want another keyboard on-stage, look into the third-party piano plug-in module made for the CME controllers (it's listed on their website and is quite cheap, but must be ordered direct from germany). There are no reviews that I know of, but I think there were some demo sounds to go by. My guess is that it isn't as good as Ivory, PianoTeq, or GEM Promega, but better than most ROMpler piano sounds and also the Yamaha PLG150-AP plug-in card.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived