Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So my jazz piano levine book arrived!

keyman_sam

God bless amazon for fast shipping. :D

So, the book looks really nice. I wanna sit and try out everything the book says. :) My next step is to listen to some nice jazz songs. The smooth jazz station is the only station that has the word jazz in it (in houston) and i'm already sick of listening to it.

So, someone tell me what music service i should go for. Marino suggested some really nice music, but i need to find a service to download those songs. :wave:

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niacin,

SWEET! Thank you very much. Marino, I'm sure the CDs are good, but i dont have money to shell out 10 bux for just one CD. If i download an album it'll cost me just 6 or 7 dollars. I'm looking for the right service so i can just buy the songs online.

Niacin,

Excellent link, from there I went to an archived episode of Jazztrack (from today actually) and am currently listening to some very soulful Hammond. (first track). I'll have to replay the intro to find out who's playing.

John

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Originally posted by keyman_sam:

peecee

I highly recommend you look at Real Rhapsody. For $9.95/month you have access to full length versions of over 2 million songs. They are streamed to your PC so this is different than places like iTunes where you download the files.

I just found out they now support Mac.

http://www.rhapsody.com/

Busch.

Originally posted by marino:

Sam, all the CDs that I listed are absolute masterworks; there are no 'fillers' as in some pop CDs. Bought or downloaded, you should really listen to them in their entirety. Take my word for it. ;)

Ciao Carlo,

could you give me the link to the thread in which you listed the cds to listen to?

But real rhapsody wouldnt let me save the songs to the computer! However, i can record the songs themselves as they stream, but i'm not sure if this is even legal. How am i supposed to learn a song without listening to it bit by bit? I mean, when i download a song, i can rewind, fastforward, or loop a certain section to learn it. When it streams, all that is not possible. There's GOT to be some service that lets me do all this (downloading cheaply).

Just get a real book and a new real book and play through the tunes at the end of each chapter - as a matter of fact I bought Levine's book and that's what I'm doing, playing through each chapter. It's a great book, I think. You ought to be able to find what you need on iTunes or some other site. I'd recommend buying the cds as you can afford them. But don't get all hung up on the cds. Listen to all the jazz you can on internet radio, etc - tune in to KNTU FM, Denton, Texas for example! Good luck - this stuff is fun to work through.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

keyman_sam,

I'm not sure quite how the public libraries are in Houston.

As a schoolboy and later as a student, I borrowed thousands(literally) of classic jazz (etc.) recordings from public libraries. I still occasioally go by my local library to hear some new stuff. Maybe this oonly works in the UK. I remember California librariesbeingvery good - also college/university libraries as hasbeen mentiooned.

Apoloogies for the typos. Thiis s an old keyboard which woorks badly (wwhile fix my other laptop).

Keyman:

I too just received my Mark Levine Jazz Piano book with equally fast free shipping from Amazon. I wish I would have had the book 20 years ago. I am a retired engineer and now a "duffer" musician. I unwrapped the book and put it down 5 hours and 39 pages later. It was neat to see some of the things I do on keyboards spelled out in words.

I took a university level jazz improvation class a few years ago. The teacher was a sax player and really an awsome player. He played no keyboards. This book adds a whole lot to what he taught, but seems to do it in a better way.

I would be on page 40 this morning, but I must practice and learn to play the clarinet solo on the first measure of "Rhapsody in Blue" that our symphony is playing in October. It is an 17 note gilssando that some clarinet pro's do as a lip slide across the whole 17 notes. Is is and is going to be painful to learn how to do it.

I do recomment the Levine book.

Regards

Bob Stiffler

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by burningbusch:

Originally posted by keyman_sam:

peecee

I highly recommend you look at Real Rhapsody. For $9.95/month you have access to full length versions of over 2 million songs. They are streamed to your PC so this is different than places like iTunes where you download the files.

I just found out they now support Mac.

http://www.rhapsody.com/

Busch.

Thank you thank you thank you and thank you!

I just purchased Real rhapsody, and i'm already in heaven! :wave:

Archived