Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which SUV?

My Suburban got a comfy 22 MPG on the highway. I didn't drive it much in the city - not why I got it. It was a great highway car. Didn't have rollover problems. The most nimble 3-ton vehicle I've ever driven. Built very nicely, the only GM vehicle I've driven with decent fit-and-finish. A tremendously efficient packhorse. Enormously flexible cargo space - comparable in volume to the Honda Odyssey, but easier to manipulate - higher deck and better clearance. Brilliant in bad weather. Very comfortable. Quiet, smooth ride. Excellent driving position. A tad expensive, though. JW PS I'll drive what the market allows me to drive - you want to save the world with restrictions let's start with the oil companies themselves, then move on to our current government. Leave my purchasing decisions to the bottom of that list. This from a dyed-in-the-wool small "l" liberal.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phaeton, I think the 'backlash' against SUV's may have something to do with the fact that the first few waves of them were very cool, if not a novelty. Then, the really humongous models came out, like the Lincoln Navigator and Ford Excursion. Then, the 'luxury' versions like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. All these, mind you, when gasoline was below a buck a gallon. Personally, I'm not a 'car guy' per se, and I really don't care that much, but I felt as if some sort of line was crossed somewhere with SUV's. I believe they now epitomize what some might call 'conspicuous consumption'. Plus the fact that they get the lowest available mileage, now that gas is $1.50 a gallon and still rising. I also think that the behavior of some radical Muslim terrorists and their general proximity to most of the earth's oil supply have something to do with it. You know, that whole oil / mideast / US / Osama / Saddam / thingie.
"You're either WITH me, or you're AGIN' Me!" (Yosemite Sam)

[quote]Originally posted by deanmass: [b]I owned am Aerostar. It was one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned...Bad mileage, crappy traction in snow, expensive to repair..Aerostar...ack... I also had an early Toyota mini van, and while it ran well, it would not drag it's ass up the hills around Kansas City with my DJ rig.[/b][/quote]What year was your Aerostar? Was it one of the earlier under-powered 2-wheel drive models? Because you're right; they weren't that great. Both of the units I owned were 4.0L extended cab 4X4's. Little or no repairs, lotsa power, never stuck in the snow, but yes... crappy mileage. I averaged about 17mpg.

Speaking of the whole SUV == Penis Envy/Manliness thing.... It could be that i'm a latent misogynist, but i notice that the majority of these over-huge SUVs are driven by those early-20-something hot chicks with the cell phone in the left hand (the one with the giant rock on it) and the $8 non-fat latte in the right hand. You know, barreling down the freeway at 80mph and steering the vehicle by resting her dainty right wrist on the top of the steering wheel. And we wonder why these things flip over so easily when they blow a tire. I honestly think the big luxurious SUV thing is a "Penis Envy/Look at me, i'm special" thing for a lot of chicks. Not all SUVs are driven by women, and not all women are like this... but.... Tell me i'm wrong, please. On the note of gas-guzzling trucks, my Ford Ranger gets about 30mpg on the hwy, and it's all the truck i've ever needed. :o )

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Gabriel E.: Fast forward to today when 50% of new automobiles sold in the US are dangerous, high-emmissions SUVs that get shitty mileage. THAT's why SUVs are worse than minivans. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I must be a moron, since I'm still not getting this! If a person really needs a larger vehicle to transport people or things, what's the difference between the classifications of vehicle in cases where things such as gas mileage and safety are pretty much equal? Truck versus SUV versus minivan versus station wagon...why, oh why, is the SUV more villified than the others? Still can't figure this out. Help me. Shouldn't the people who are vehemently anti-SUV be as vocal in their opposition to the other vehicle classifications? If not, why not??? [/quote]Let me try to clarify creatively: There are a couple of mosquitos buzzing around you. They're a pain in the ass but there are only two of them so it's not that big a deal. All of a sudden, hundreds of fire ants start swarming around your feet and crawling up your legs. Which are you more worried about, the mosquitos or the ants? Which do you despise more? Again, even though there are vehicles on the road that are just as bad, SUVs are singled out because THERE ARE SO FUCKING MANY OF THEM. There was never a plague of minivans or big-ass station wagons (at least not since the fuel crisis) so they don't get a bad rap.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Sheesh. To answer the question many asked: The reason SUV's are politically incorrect is because the people who define political correctness are absolutely incapable of avoiding the overwhelming temptation to tell others what to do. :mad: The reason they are popular is very closely related to the reason Jerry Springer and American Idol are popular -- most people make choices based on inexplicable criteria. :rolleyes: All that being said, I like my minivan, and when this one dies I'll probably buy another. My criteria for a vehicle are roughly the following: 1. Room for gear: musical, camping and otherwise 2. Decent gas mileage (my van gets roughly 25) 3. Smooth comfortable ride 4. Stylish appearance Minivans excel at #1. Acceptable on #2. Among vehicles which meet #1, BLOWS THEM AWAY in #3. OK, so they fail miserably on #4. I can live with that. ;) --Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Pierce: [b]Sheesh. To answer the question many asked: The reason SUV's are politically incorrect is because the people who define political correctness are absolutely incapable of avoiding the overwhelming temptation to tell others what to do. :mad: --Dave[/b][/quote]:thu: Yeah!

[quote]Originally posted by Sal ©: [b]Just say no to stupidity. There is zero reason for anyone to own an SUV, and it makes you look like a fool when you are driving one. 'nuff said.[/b][/quote]Get real, Sal. China, Cuba. North Korea, etc. Take a trip, spend a month, see if you like the same bathwater you seem to espouse and enjoy bathing in. Your kind of places. And I post these thoughts well aware of your ultra-leftist rants in other posts. Just tilt over to the middle a bit. You might feel a bit better about yourself and the world in general. Geeeze Louise. [img]http://www.jeffpylenz.com/Web%20animations/killtard.gif[/img]

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b]It could be that i'm a latent misogynist, )[/b][/quote][i]Boy, I could sure use one them right now! My shoulders are sooooo stiff... ;) They're kind of expensive though, aren't they ?[/i] [quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b]but i notice that the majority of these over-huge SUVs are driven by those early-20-something hot chicks with the cell phone in the left hand and the $8 non-fat latte in the right hand.[/b][/quote]You must be seeing the same crowd I'm seeing, except mine are all 30-something. Incidently, the commercials I've seen for the new Hummer show a young hot 20-something chick; ect, ect. You're not doing market research for them are you???

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I recently bought a 2000 Ford Econoline 150 Van for gigging. 28,000 miles on it....$12,600. Love the ride, love the view and height, love the "safe" feeling, love the "room" I carry around behind me where ever I go! Not the greatest gas mileage though. (Bite me, Sal) Real convenient for loading speakers, mixer, and a bigass Kurzweil 88key workstation. We also bought a 2002 Toyota Highlander. A bit out of your price range stated, but WHAT a vehicle! I would of destroyed it after a few gigs though. Best of luck, dude! [img]http://www.jeffpylenz.com/INCREDIMAIL%20VOL.2/HOTLETTERS/flowers.gif[/img] [quote]Originally posted by SF audio: [b]A little off topic, but I see other "off topic" stuff, so since I value the varied and unique opinions here, why not ask? I'm looking for a small to mid sized SUV. Two doors, two wheel drive, years 1998-2000. I want decent gas mileage so my support of terrorism will be minimal. :rolleyes: I'm considering a Nissan Pathfinder. I've heard that I should avoid American made SUV's. Want to spend around $10K to 12K. No, I don't have the cash for that, and I will be making payments, which will cut into my gear slut-itus. Of course, I would use this vehicle to haul around all my gear, so in that sense it's related to music. Do they make themed SUV's, like maybe something with guitar trim? :) OK, the far left Liberals can flame me know, while you hard right conservatives keep your flag waving to a minimum!!! :p [/b][/quote]

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Well, I'll throw in my $0.02: *Subaru Forester or the Outback. [i]I've heard nothing but good things about them. I test drove a Forester and was very impressed. And they're both car-based SUV's so it will keep the 'anti-SUV' crowd off your back. They also tend to hold their value pretty well.[/i] *Toyota RAV4 2001+ [i]Consumer Reports made it it's top pick for mini SUV's. [/i] *Dodge Caravan [i]Yeah, Chrysler products have taken a hit on this thread but this one is supposed to be a very solid performer. [/i] Ford Escape??? [i]It's supposed to be pretty nice, but has had a LOT of recalls. If you do consider an Escape get a MAZDA TRIBUTE instead. Mazda is making the Escapes for Ford, and it's the same vehicle but has a few more things going for it. [/i]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I'm leaning towards a Volvo wagon. Right now I'm in a Jeep Grand Cheroke. 4 of them in my family and all 4 have 6 cyl. engines all 4 leak oil on valve covers and drip to pour on rear main. Why Volvo you ask?? Volvo has an inner roll cage frame thats built into the posts, roof, and rocker rails among other inovations. I've studied auto design from a safety standpoint because I have to know all the ins and outs of vehicle rescue. What I've seen Volvo and BMW more or less lead the pack in occupant safety. In fact them and Autolive safety systems designed most of what you see today. I could walk you around some vechicles and show you why in the right accident it would sound like a small war arround you with all the charges going off. How about hidden roll bars that deploy for weightlessness or tilt, how about primary battery cables that pyro charge shear while secondary powers and turns on inside lights and flashers, and what about air bag curtains over the side windows to keep you in and pad you. How many of you are aware that many vehicles, very well the one you are driving, have either a pyro charge or mechanical device in the seatbelt to pretension it upon impact. These have been around a long time and most do not even know they exist. When we pry or cut a vehicle on a rescue we must know where all the charges and triggers are. It's impossible to keep up now. Cutting the battery is no good because some have mechanical systems or pyrotechnic charges for triggers. Maybe this is off topic but someone mentioned Volvo and that's what I want for a ride and to haul gear.

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]*Dodge Caravan [i]Yeah, Chrysler products have taken a hit on this thread but this one is supposed to be a very solid performer. [/i] [/b][/quote]That was probably me bitchin' about transmission problems. I absolutely love mine otherwise, and by all accounts those transmissions have been redesigned, without problems, for years now. (Mine's a '94). I probably won't buy another one because they pissed me off by playing games with the warranty. But a new Dodge Caravan is probably a great vehicle. --Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I had a Volvo 240 wagon for about 3 years....I LOVED it. But, the turbo's are very expensive to fix. One of my friends has a new RAV4. It is pretty cool, but much smaller than my VUE, and the engine is way noisier for some reason. Overall, it is nice, but I thought it was pricey for what it is at 23K. A used CRV is a winner, assuming you can find one...

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Tyler: [b]Get real, Sal. China, Cuba. North Korea, etc. Take a trip, spend a month, see if you like the same bathwater you seem to espouse and enjoy bathing in. Your kind of places. And I post these thoughts well aware of your ultra-leftist rants in other posts. Just tilt over to the middle a bit. You might feel a bit better about yourself and the world in general. Geeeze Louise. [/b][/quote]:rolleyes:

Here are some ratings by the Highway Saftey Organization: [url=http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm]Mid/Large size SUVs[/url] [url=http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv.htm]Small SUVs[/url]

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived