Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XV-5050 problem: note will not stop

harmonizer

Hi, I hope someone can offer some suggestions.

I have a Roland XV-5050, purchased used about 1 year ago. In case it matters, I have never performed the "reset to factory settings" function. The only programming I have done has been from the front panel, to make a few new entries in the User bank. I have previously run into the problem where the XV-5050 would think that a key was still being held down, when it was not, which had forced me to power it off and back on. But this had taken place once every two-to-three months or so, so I had not given this much thought.

I just bought a new SRX-07 expansion card (Ultimate Keys). An old Korg DW-8000 keyboard is acting as my MIDI controller. I installed the SRX-07 last night, and after playing for a while I got the "sound not stopping problem" (on one key only). Then tonight (my second night with the SRX-07 card installed) it happened again. I did some more testing when it happened tonight, and I noted these specific symptoms: (1) the XV-5050 keeps acting as though the key is still held down for almost exactly 22 seconds, then it stops. (2) once the problem starts, the problem keeps occuring, with that single key on the keyboard only. If I press that same key again, I hear another 22 second-long note (if using an organ patch), after I release that key. Other keys on the keyboard work fine (the XV-5050 stops the sound when the key is released). (3) To make sure this was just a MIDI problem, I tested the sound that is created inside the Korg DW-8000 and is sent directly to the amp. This works fine: the non-MIDI-created sound stops immediately when I release the key. (4) just as a test, I wanted to see what happened if I held down a different key and never released it. I found out the XV-5050 keeps making sound for about 22-24 seconds, and then stops (even though I am still holding the key down). (5) this "sound not stopping" problem first happened with a the 3rd-highest "C" key last night, but tonight it happened with a totally different key - the 2nd highest "E" key. (6) tonight, after the problem occured and I completed my testing, I then powered off the XV-5050, waited 60 seconds, then turned it back on. After this, everything worked fine. (7) I recall that tonight, when the problem started, I had been attacking several notes at once. Many of you may be thinking that this should not be a rare event, but I am a horn player with limited keyboard skills, so I am sure that I am not driving as much "multiple note" playing into my keyboard setup, as do the rest of you folks, who have real keyboard skills.

Can any of you suggest the proper next steps for me to take? Should I remove the SRX-07 and see if the problem stops taking place? Should I contact the (Roland authorized) dealer who sold me the (new) SRX-07 card? Should I try using the "reset to factory settings" function? Does anyone else ever experience this problem of the sound not stopping with the XV-5050 (or any other XV model) after they release a key on their MIDI controller?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carl,

The Roland XV5050 is a rack module (for those who did not know - like me).

You have not done a factory reset.

You are getting stuck notes. This is often caused when the MIDI receiving device gets a NOTE-ON message, but no NOTE-OFF message.

Trying to figure out what is going on, there are a couple of things you can try.

The first thing that I would do is save your settings and do a factory reset on the XV-5050. This will clear any buffers from corrupted data and reset all parameters back to factory defaults. It's nice to start from a known starting point - and this is it.

The second thing I would consider is the condition of your MIDI cable. Is it new? Is it in good condition? Do you have an ohm meter that you can check the continuity of the wires & connections from one end to the other? You may want to borrow another MIDI cable that is either brand new, or one that you KNOW works.

The third thing I would do is to borrow another controller keyboard, connect it to the XV-5050 and see if you still get stuck notes.

In summary, there are three places where the problem could originate: the controller keyboard, the MIDI cable, or the XV-5050.

There are programs that you can use with your PC to analyze the MIDI data stream. In other words, you connect the MIDI OUT from the controller keyboard to the MIDI IN of your MIDI computer interface. Run the program and check for NOTE-ON values when you press a key, followed by NOTE-OFF values when you release the key. Other MIDI data may show that aftertouch data is being sent, key velocity data is being sent, data from the modulation wheels, knobs, or sliders may also be coming down the wire.

With this MIDI data analyzer, you can see for yourself exactly what the XV-5050 is receiving.

Again, for this test use the same controller and the same MIDI cable. The only variable is that you're connected to a computer instead of the XV-5050. Of course, you can connect another MIDI cable from the output of your computer's MIDI interface to the XV-5050 so you can hear what's going on.

There are other possibilities. Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) could be creeping into the MIDI stream. There could be a power supply problem with the controller and/or the XV-5050. etc.

You need to isolate these three things to narrow down your options. Once you're SURE it's not the MIDI cable and not the XV-5050, then you can concentrate on fixing whatever errant MIDI data are causing the stuck note problem.

Try this and report back to the forum. Chances are good that there is a solution that we can help you discover.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

What version of OS is installed? The current version is 1.08.

To check ROM OS version on the XV-5050 do the following:

1. While holding EDIT and TONE4, power on the unit.

2. The version number will be displayed following the word "ROM:"

3. Power off the unit and power on again to return to normal operation.

It's possible your problem has been fixed in an update.

Busch.

The XV5050 seems to be a bit of a quirky unit.

Mine sometimes just stops outputting any sound after it's been in use for awhile, even though the sequencer & unit itself show that midi activity is definitely happening.

Good idea for the OS Busch, I'll check mine as well.

I would venture that it's a controller problem as well and borrow another keyboard.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

I powered on the unit holding down the Edit and Tone4 buttons, and it reported I am at version 1.08.

My MIDI cable is old; I have 2 which are identical, and which I believe were purchased with the Korg DW-8000 keyboard when it was new (in the 1980's?).

Regarding the suggestions to try a different MIDI controller, and different keyboard, I am definitely going to try both. It's a funny coincidence, because I actually have to buy a new controller and MIDI cable, because the Korg DW-8000 belongs to a friend, and I have to return it to him soon. Part of the reason I bought the SRX-07 (Ultimate Keys) expansion card for the XV-5050 is that I needed to try to find a way to achieve some of the vintage synth sounds (in the XV-5050) that my friend had programmed into the Korg DW-8000 (he's got two or three sounds programmed in the Korg I really like).

I am not aware of any way to export the sounds my friend has programmed in the DW-8000 and make them available in the XV-5050, but then again, I am a total newbie when it comes to MIDI.

I will also try the "Factory reset" option (after I read the manual and FAQ pages carefully), and I will report back here with my results on all of this.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.

Carl

Originally posted by harmonizer:

...I will also try the "Factory reset" option...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Carl,

Be aware that doing a reset will most probably erase any new user presets that you've created. If they're important, you may want to 'dump' them to a storage medium before resetting.

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Progress report:

I bought an MAudio Keystation 88es MIDI controller this weekend (and a new MIDI cable). I have gone through 2 evenings of practicing at home, plus a band rehearsal last night, without having the "note will not stop" problem happen again. If I don't see this problem happen again, I am not going to bother with doing the "reset factory settings" on my Roland XV-5050 sound module.

Thanks to everyone again for your suggestions!

Sincerely,

Carl

re: "and how do you like that Keystation?"

So far I like it, but you should know that I am a sax player with limited keyboard skills, so I don't trust that I can give you valuable feedback on the M-Audio Keystation 88es. I have not found anything that bothers me with this keyboard yet.

Previously I had been using my friend's old Korg DW-8000 as the MIDI controller for my Roland XV-5050 sound module. With that old setup, the sustain key and volume control functions on the DW-8000 were not received (via MIDI) by my XV-5050. I was thrilled when I found out that these functions just worked automatically when I connected the Keystation to my XV-5050. This either means that the Keystation is well-designed.....or that I had been living in the stone age, and was thus easily pleased.

I have a bad back, and the Keystation 88es is very light, light enough that I can carry it myself - this part makes me happy. The down side of this is that there is less gravity force keeping this (long) keyboard in place, and I always play it standing up, so the X-stand I have is not wide enough when opened to the height I need. I am looking at the Quiklok WS550 as a possible stand to give me the width and height I need (in a stand that is light enough for me to carry). I'm open to a suggestion on this if you have one.

If you have any specific question on the 88es, I can try to look at mine to answer it for you.

Sincerely,

Carl

Archived