Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How would Springsteen have done on American Idol?

Would Springsteen have done well on an American Idol-style talent show? How about Neil Young? Jimi Hendrix? Donald Fagen? Mick Jagger? Would they have won and gone on to fame and fortune? Or would they have received disparaging remarks from a smart-assed judge?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering its a pretty-fest and popularity contest. The folks you mentioned would have to sing and I don't think they would make the first cut today. I think they all would have had a better chance on Star Search where you could actually play an instrument. ;)

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

For me, shows like "American Idol" aren't about finding the next Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, or Bruce Springsteen...they're about finding the next Bobby Rydell or Vinton, the next Frankie Avalon or David Cassidy. That's why I don't watch them. This approach is hardly anything new, as you can tell by the names I used in comparison.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I just don't understand how anyone can actually watch that show. I mean...after the first 5/10 minutes, there is some idiot who can't sing worht a shit...not a note... ...it's actually very annoying to my ears. So I just turn the channel...I just can't take it, no matter how ammusing it may seem to others...whatching someone make an ass of themselves on national TV...I can't handle that lousy singing. Yeah...there are some good singers too...but the minute I hear one sour note...I gotta' turn it!!! Tried watching that show 3 times already...and on each attempt, within the first 10 minutes I was changing the channel!!! YUCK!!!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

[quote]Originally posted by tnb: [b]Bruce would have never made it out of the regional auditions.[/b][/quote]True that. Sad, but that's why the show sucks. It is just too one dimensional. Oh well. :bor:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Dan, I can't say that I care for the singing of any of the artists you mentioned except for Donald Fagen. Granted, as songwriters, performers, musicians, and recording artists, all of the people on your list have proven themselves time and time again, with both commercial and critical success - which is more than anyone will ever expect from an American Idol winner. That said, there will still be a few very talented singers in the finals of American Idol - and I don't have a problem with them getting some exposure or a recording contract.

Dan, your question misses the point. Bruce Springsteen wouldn't have had a chance at singing in a Broadway play either unless they were specifically looking for a character voice. In both instances, they're looking for a different type of singing talent. An opera virtuoso would similarly fail on this show if he/she couldn't sing well, but in the styles of music the show portrays. Let's face it, you won't hear an aria or a death metal song on American Idol. Unless, of course, it's put there for comedic intent. Ted summed it up pretty well.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The upside I think of the show is that the people who are making the cut actually have to be singers and work hard and be able to get their shit together for a performance pretty quickly. So many people seem to think that all that counts in pop music are looks and I just don't believe that - this show helps to dispell that somewhat. Looks and a bad voice and they'll can you in a second. My wife and I started watching it out of curiosity and just to see a couple of losers get trashed - seemed pretty funny to us. But there are some really talented singers on there who are sincere and professional in their pursuit of music. Whether or not I like their type of music is no big deal to me (even though the diversity I've seen has been refreshing: not everyone is trying to be a Maria or Britney) - I respect a hard working musician with natural talent. I don't underestimate some of these people either - there's probably someone in the crowd who could do death metal or an aria - they are just smart enought to know that that is not what this opportunity is about. Getting a foot in the door - I say more power to them for going for it.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

[quote]Originally posted by = stevepow =: [b]...I don't underestimate some of these people either - there's probably someone in the crowd who could do death metal or an aria - they are just smart enought to know that that is not what this opportunity is about...[/b][/quote]And that is exactly my point. Thanks, Steve! :)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I heard from a friend of mine who knows a lot of NYC singers that a lot of people aren't bothering to audition for it because the contract you need to sign greatly limits what you can do professionally, even if you don't win the contest. So consequently, they get mainly people who are hobbyist singers (or just people who think they can sing) rather than people who are actually trying to make a living at singing (and who probably have the talent to do it). Who knows, maybe that's their (the show's) intention. I refuse to watch the show except for the first episode -- the bad singers, although painful to listen to, are often pretty amusing. I have to winder if those people really think they can sing, or if they just want to be on TV. Probably a little of both.

If Bruce, Jimi, Tom, Bob or any of the others could do that WAY too heavily vibratoed voice that the judges seem to adore, AND adopt the look of the average street gang member, they may have had a shot. But by displaying their individual, natural talents? ForGET it! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by The Matt: [b]Could you imagine what Simon would have said about Bob Dylan, Brittany Spears, or Tom Petty? Wouldn't have been pretty.[/b][/quote]Bob Dylan and Tom Petty [i]aren't[/i] pretty. :D As for Britney, Simon already said she can't sing.

Archived