Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: EBAY FRAUD

I know this has been brought up before but I am curious about what measures of protection one has purchasing keyboard for let say $2000 on Ebay if the purchase is made through paypal with a verified seller and a verified buyer.

Anyone have any info about what happens if the seller skips with the money and the buyer doesn't receive the keyboard?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, the seller would have to show proof of shipment... Paypal generally holds the funds immediately if you make a claim about not receiving an item... You also have to be careful though, they're plenty of hijacked Ebay/Paypal accounts... I would contact the seller using his/her email address registered with Ebay first to communicate... You could also request their user contact info from Ebay and get access to a phone number possibly...

eBay has also had problems with fake "second chance" offers. I bid on a couple Fantom X6's and a X7 a few months back. They all went for more than I wanted t pay and I got second chance offers on all three. I thought it was strange that I got a second chance offer every time I lost a bid. Ebay later sent a warning that people were watching auctions and faking second chance offers, making it look like you were dealing with the person selling the item but actually dealing with a third party trying to scam money. Now valid second chance offers are processed through ebay and you get the notice in your ebay message box.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've always contacted the seller by phone prior to placing my bid if it's for a substantial amount ($500 and up let's say). Talking to a real person is going to give you the best chance of uncovering any funny business IMO. And even if there's no concern it's always good business to talk to those you're doing business with.

One reason I refuse to get verified by PayPal -- if it's just a credit card transaction, and if I can't get it worked out with PayPal, I can always stop via the credit card company.

If you're verified, they have an account number. If it has money in it, I guess they can just take it. Of course, I would expect PayPal to be decent about it, but we all know how things can get goofed up. So, I like having the extra layer of security provided by a credit card.

Thanks for the tip about second chance offers, Robert. Who knows, I might have gotten caught off-guard on something like that.

People are always advised never to give anyone their checking or savings account information, since that is all you need to clean someones account completely out. With all the scams directed at Paypal, giving them my checking account info is beyond ridiculous in my opinion.

The only time I've had any problem with eBay was when I tried to purchase a computer OS. The seller was bogus, and I received word from eBay about this and a full refund from PayPal.

Every other time, like when I bought my Hammond XB-2 and my powered hot spot, there was no problem.

I have gotten some phishing attempts that looked like it was from PayPal, but I just deleted these. No one gets my information from a request like that. After all, PayPal already has it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by learjeff:

One reason I refuse to get verified by PayPal -- if it's just a credit card transaction, and if I can't get it worked out with PayPal, I can always stop via the credit card company.

I am not totally sure about this. PayPal is acting as an intermediary, and you are buying a service from them. They are not the product seller.

In my mind, PayPal is very similar in concept to Western Union in that they are providing a payment service. I know that Western Union is very clear on their website that credit card transactions are not protected, and they clearly state that if you use a credit card and WU delivers the money, they HAVE provided the service.

Both eBay and PayPal have "Buyer protection policies", but I am not sure of their cost and limit. I have seen something about a $2,000 maximum and a $25 charge for PayPal to get involved.

I am currently involved in a dispute with an eBay Seller who did not deliver a $50 item I purchased using eBay and PayPal. I will find out soon enough whether or not I get shafted. I assume the Seller has closed their bank account.

The reason I asked is because it now appears I got scammed on a large purchase. teh accoutn was hijacked. This guy hijacked a decent account and even had good contact info when I phoned him about the keyboard. paypal only covers $1000 if you use your bank account and I agree it I used my credit card as I feel they offer a greater degree of protection to me.

The guy's number is no longer valid, his email is no longer valid, his ebay account is non responsive to all my emails. Paypal has launched an investigation which I'm sure will find nothing and I'll have to rely on my credit card company to protect me. I already conacted them vert early when I suspected something was wrong but they can't intevene for 30 days. I sure hope this works out for me.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Archived