Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-Any Mountain Bikers here?

Dan South

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ex-girlfriend does mountain biking. I do a little road biking. Maybe that is why she is my EX girlfriend.

I suggest you really try out a bike and especially the seat before buying. My mistake was not testing the full gear range on my bike before buying.

What is your budget for the bike?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

By the way, my biggest tip... Buy from a local shop so you can take it in for adjustments.

Next time, I will make sure the bike I buy can fit into the back of my Jeep Liberty. It is nice to take the bike to a park and ride. I don't want to put a carrier on the back of my Jeep.

Oh. When I bought mine a few years ago I asked some questions here on SSS and not long afterward someone else was asking about bikes. There were a lot of riders around and some good advice. Not sure if those threads were archived.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'd recommend getting some type of clip in pedal. There's a few different types. At first they can seem a little intimidating, but I've never had a problem getting my foot off the pedal when necessary. Trying to ride on even the most minor of technical terrain is a pain in the butt if your foot keeps coming off the pedal. The downside is you have to buy special shoes, but it's worth it.

Specialized FSR XC

Full suspension

Its about $900 new. No extras needed.

Can't help u with dealers back east. But you need a good bike shop for ongoing service

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Check out mtbr.com for mtn bike reviews and roadbikereview.com for the road stuff. You'll want to figure out what kind of riding you want to do and then research the bikes in your price range. You'll also want to generally figure out what size bike will fit you. Find a bike store with competant sales and service staff even if they are more expensive because bike fit is extremely important.

Specialized is a solid company that makes good road and mtn bikes in many price ranges. I've bought 3 Specialized mtn bikes and may buy a road bike from them.

Giant always gives you a lot of bike for your $$$.

if you're going to pay < $1,000.

I have a MB [iguana Disc] and road bike from Giant [OC2]. No complaints.

And always buy from a dedicated bike store...not a department store.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

thats a hugely broad question, sort of like saying I need advice on buying an SUV, sport sedan, pickup truck, or sports car between $10,000 and $500,000. What is your budget, what sort of riding do u intend to do? If you give me more info, I'd be glad to try to give some suggestions.

I personally have a Trek. I would suggest going to an actual bike store, and have one fitted for you. Most important is the size of the frame. You don't want one that's going to be to small or too big for you. When you ride, make sure that when you pedal downward (downstroke) you have your knee slightly bent. I've seen many riders who on the downstroke, their leg is completely straight. Not good for the overall ride, and not good for the leg either.

If you're going to be doing actual mountain biking (rocks, rough terrain, etc.) you might consider looking into the individual suspension systems that some manufacturers have to offer. If it's just basic bicycling, almost any manufacturer will do. My only contention is that if you can't get adjusted to the bike seat, simply find one that's comfortable for you, regardless what it looks like, and what anyone thinks about it. YOU'RE riding the bike, not them, and comfort will be one of your main priorities. :thu:

Erlic

I have a Trek 7.3 FX Disc fitness bike that I like very much. I did see some unusual Cannondale mountain bikes in the store with a mono-post instead of a fork. I was told that these are actually sturdier than normal forks for a mountain bike. I would have expected it to be just the opposite, I can't see how the front wheel will stay attached.

If you're ever in Connecticut, I'd recommend Biker\'s Edge . Their place is like a two story warehouse, with some really impressive $7000+ bikes on the upper level

+1 on buying from a bike store -- especially one that services them! I have a couple of bikes (Mongoose Pro, a Haro, and a Trek) but would recommend buying one from a bike dealer who can fit you to a bike and one that will do your tuneups.

I haven't rode my bike in years, but I was pretty happy with my Cannondale V700. I have the hardtail version. I don't know how something like that would rate with today's bikes. Heck - I don't even know if anyone rides these days. Is it still relatively popular riding off-road?

• 8 years later...

I know there was a more recent thread on biking but I couldn't find it. Plus this is more specific to mountain.

So after two trips up to Point Reyes/Invereness , N. of SF, and an 11 month wait, I finally picked up my Titanium Steve Potts 29er hardtail.

For those not familiar with the Potts name--he's an iconic N. Ca. frame builder and widely considered the Father of Mountain biking. He started with Gary Fisher and others in the '70s building bikes in Marin..which is considered the birthplace of the sport..

GF became a successful entrepreneur type guy, built stuff for the mass market and became a millionaire.

Steve was content to stay in the Point Reyes/Tomales Bay area, raise a family, and stay a custom builder that hand makes each bike for the particular rider.

His welding skills with titanium are considered as good as it gets, and his bikes are highly coveted around the world. Almost to the point of being the Holy Grail of Mountain bikes.

I had the build done by Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes. Owner Mike Varley did a great job on it.

So some pictures of it in the stand at Black Mountain before completion:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-bikes/924861d1411190724-post-your-titanium-29ers-img_0001.jpg

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-bikes/924862d1411190787-post-your-titanium-29ers-img_0002.jpg

It had it's maiden voyage a few Sundays ago on the 17 mile Drive in Pebble Beach, when we stayed in Pacific Grove for a few nights on the way back.

It's not really meant for the street but I was still able to stay up with some slower (and older ;) ) roadies. It's very light. You can totally lock out the Fox 100mm shock .

So having the high end frame, with the 29" wheels..this thing really flies on the pavement.

I really wanted to go with the Carbon Enve 29er wheels, They are simply THE sh*t today !

But at $2600 and for what I was into already with the frame, custom stem, bars , seat and XT build--I just couldn't swing it .....maybe a few years down the road.

But the wheels Mike built with the Stan's No Tubes ZTR Arch EX hoops and White Industry hubs are incredible !

The first ride in the dirt was about 10 days ago out in the Santa Monica Mountains. The picture was taken by my friend John Mahon. John is the vocalist and plays percussion with Elton John for the past 18 years. He had to leave the following day for some dates up in Vancouver so it took him some time to get me the pictures.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10629850_1489259594661622_3196982699986053872_n.jpg?oh=477bb7f0c1c4f5f76ce9319ab44f73fb&oe=5485AE75&__gda__=1418382668_b449c115498c94a6a31d20fcb3415c3f

So the damage. Well you know those $$$$ Acoustic Fulcrum speakers Chuck bought some months back ? Throw those in and maybe the price of a used Nord Piano 2 and you're at what I'm into on this bike. :facepalm::blush:

But hey...you can't put a price tag on fitness and something you have a passion for. Now that I'm 61, I simply can't run 6 days a week like in the past-- and put in both the intensity and volume.

While this isn't running, it's still a connection to being out the trails and hopefully something I can continue do for the rest of my life.

Having a nice piece of "gear" definitely adds to the inspirational and motivational factor. :cool:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I know there was a more recent thread on biking but I couldn't find it. Plus this is more specific to mountain.

So after two trips up to Point Reyes/Invereness , N. of SF, and 11 months wait, I finally picked up my Titanium Steve Potts 29er hardtail.

For those not familiar with the Potts name--he's an iconic N. Ca frame builder and widely considered the Father of Mountain biking. He started with Gary Fisher and others in the '70s building bikes in Marin..which is considered the birthplace of the sport..

GF went big time and became a millionaire . Steve was content to stay a custom builder that hand makes each bike for the particular rider. His welding skills with titanium are considered as good as it gets, and his bikes are highly coveted in many circles.

I had the build done by Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes. Mike Varley did a great job on it.

So some pictures of it in the stand at Black Mountain before completion:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-bikes/924861d1411190724-post-your-titanium-29ers-img_0001.jpg

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-bikes/924862d1411190787-post-your-titanium-29ers-img_0002.jpg

It had it's maiden voyage a few Sundays ago on the 17 mile Drive in Pebble Beach, when we stayed in Pacific Grove for a few nights on the way back.

It's not really meant for the street but I was still able to saty up with some slower (and older ;) ) roadies. It's very light. You can totally lock out the Fox 100mm shock . So with all that, plus the 29" wheels..the thing really flies on the pavement. I really wanted the Carbon Enve 29er wheels but at $2600 and what I was into already--I just couldn't swing it .....maybe a few years down the road. But the wheels Mike built with the Stan's No Tubes ZTR Arch EX hoops and White Industry hubs are incredible !

The first ride in the dirt was about 10 days ago out in the Santa Monica Mountains. The picture was taken my friend John Mahon. John is the vocalist and plays percussion with Elton John the past 18 years. He had to leave the following day for some dates up in Vancouver so it took him some time to get me the pictures.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10629850_1489259594661622_3196982699986053872_n.jpg?oh=477bb7f0c1c4f5f76ce9319ab44f73fb&oe=5485AE75&__gda__=1418382668_b449c115498c94a6a31d20fcb3415c3f

So the damage. Well you know those $$$$ Acoustic Fulcrum speakers Chuck bought some months back ? Throw those in and maybe the price of a used Nord Piano 2 and you're at what I'm into on this bike. :facepalm::blush:

But hey...you can't put a price tag on fitness, something you deeply love and hopefully can do for the rest of your life.

very nice, I am impressed. You spent a few $$.

Enjoyed reading about your bike/road travels.

I am content with my Giant. Last month, wife and I bought a new house in Discovery Bay. I am having a blast exploring the various trails/paths along the Delta

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcX6q1R1U08IAjKCJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIycmt0N3J0BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANmYzdmNDM5MWM0YTI3NDIwZDFjZmIyYTk5YzJjNjAxNQRncG9zAzQEaXQDYmluZw--?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddiscovery%2Bbay%2Bdelta%26fr%3Daaplw%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D4&w=4125&h=2740&imgurl=sarahcraigphotos.com%2FBayDelta_DiscoveryBay.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sarahcraigphotos.com%2Fportfolio.html&size=2234.7KB&name=BayDelta_DiscoveryBay.jpg&p=discovery+bay+delta&oid=fc7f4391c4a27420d1cfb2a99c2c6015&fr2=piv-web&fr=aaplw&tt=BayDelta_DiscoveryBay.jpg&b=0&ni=21&no=4&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11e4irm14&sigb=138ogicc7&sigi=11egk4e3o&sigt=10pqr05bf&sign=10pqr05bf&.crumb=IdEpTZEQNiD&fr=aaplw&fr2=piv-web

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived