Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantom module

Jazz+

Expecting that Roland is coming out with some type of half-rack Fantom module?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the provisional details of the rumours?

My inference from the release of such a product (by looking at history) would be that the Fantom X-series is about to be phased out.

We have time, but none to waste.

Wow if this is true I will be checking it out for sure. I had the XV2020 for a while using the SRX 02 piano card and the 07 Ultimate keys. Although there were some great organ sounds on the 07 card I never liked the leslie sim in the 2020.

If a half rack Fantom module has the upgraded leslie effect that's in my RD 300SX plus all those Fantom X sounds, and at least room for 2 Expansion boards, I would probably get the SRX 07 again and either the SRX 11 Complete Piano or the SRX12 new EP board.

The appeal of the half rack is that I can fit it in the pouch of my keyboard bag and then just velcro it to the top of my piano. Very easy way to add extra sounds that I dont have with the RD300SX. Jazz, if you hear more, please let us know. Thanks. EWall

Originally posted by ewall08530:

Wow if this is true I will be checking it out for sure. I had the XV2020 for a while using the SRX 02 piano card and the 07 Ultimate keys. Although there were some great organ sounds on the 07 card I never liked the leslie sim in the 2020.

If a half rack Fantom module has the upgraded leslie effect that's in my RD 300SX plus all those Fantom X sounds, and at least room for 2 Expansion boards, I would probably get the SRX 07 again and either the SRX 11 Complete Piano or the SRX12 new EP board.

The appeal of the half rack is that I can fit it in the pouch of my keyboard bag and then just velcro it to the top of my piano. Very easy way to add extra sounds that I dont have with the RD300SX. Jazz, if you hear more, please let us know. Thanks. EWall

I have a MotifES Rack which I use with my RD300SX. Since there is no room to mount the Motif on the RD300SX I have been using a Quick LOK Amp stand for a couple of years that works very well. It angles the Rack so that you can easily see the display, while playing and it is fully adjustable.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=20607096

I also bought a Rack case for the Motif rack which sits on top of the stand, so I don't have to remove it from the case and it is totally protected. I even mounted the the power supply in the case with velcro so that it won't get left behind. It even has room for a second half rack or one full rack.

http://www.finecases.com/browse/protec/protec-1023.html

Originally posted by Dick Ward (Alias: Mr. Pretentious):

Maybe I'm dense, but why would this be better or different than the Fantom-XR?

Ummm... because these all go to eleven. ;)

(Dick, it wouldn't be 'better' per se, but it's a half-rack size, and would be less expensive. Some people see that as 'better'. They also drive 1984 Datsuns, but that's a whole other issue... ;) )

Ahem.

:wave:

Maybe I'm dense, but why would this be better or different than the Fantom-XR?

For me it would be nice if it has a functional USB connection. Half rack is small enough to easily fit into the accessories compartment of my laptop case.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

......, but why would this be better or different than the Fantom-XR?

Not expected to be functionally better than the XR, but more portable or affordable. The XR sampler section is also likely to be excluded. However, it would be expected to be technically better than the XV2020, which it supercedes.
We have time, but none to waste.

I've been half expecting this for some time. The XV2020 is the last of the XV line. It would be very nice to have the updated sounds of the Fantom X series and FXs plus the two SRX slots. The editor for the Rolands is very nice so once you get it programmed you're set.

Summer NAMM is July. Maybe we'll see it before that.

Busch.

Ahh, gotcha. The XR is small compared to most rack units I've seen that take up 3 or 4 slots. So it'll be sized like the JV-1010. Makes sense! I think I just misunderstood what 'half rack' meant. :D

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Rabid:

For me it would be nice if it has a functional USB connection. Half rack is small enough to easily fit into the accessories compartment of my laptop case.

Robert

Just to be a bit more clear, but functional USB connection I mean it would be nice if the USB will work for MIDI sequencing, patch editing, and sending audio back to the DAW. That would turn my laptop into a decent DAW without taking up too much space in a hotel room and I would not have to keep one eye on the CPU meeter when composing.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived