Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you talk while you play?

jimw

Originally posted by gangsu:

ah learjeff, I ain't so easily bedazzled. You're lucky!! :D

It's a gift. And did I mention that most women are 7's? In other words, I stutter a lot ...

To go way off the topic, I got a great lesson way back, freshman dorm hall. 59 horny guys, all trying to find hot chicks and seeing the flaws in the young women around us. The 60th guy, kinda funny looking with a big overbite and an IQ of 160, gets laid every weekend. We laugh at the dogs he brings in (whilst we sleep alone). Well, I'm no genius, but I could see the irony. And you know, those "dogs" all had something cute, uniqe, or intriguing about 'em. Brainiac sure wasn't complaining. Lightbulb moment: look for the beauty, not the flaws! My sex life got a lot better.

Um, what were we talking about?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DanS:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Rule #4. If security is not there to help you, offer to split a box of 12 Hot Krispy Kreme donuts that you've got back stage. That should do it.

:cool:

What if they won't leave until you give them a donut? What if they ask you for a bowl of soup and a sandwich once they finish the donut?

I don't know Gas, sometimes you're not the brightest light on the PEK.

You're S P E C U L A T I N G... and you know how I HATE this. :mad:

Besides, once the drunk is off-stage, in the room, eating 1/2 a box of Krispy Kreme donuts, if you're savy, you can lock them in the room and toss the key. :love::P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Was she drinking heavily? :confused:

I do recall hearing "...it's my birthday..." somewhere in the conversation. :idea:

offer food, or alcohol as a diversion. That would be less time consuming than building a barricade of empty cases.

I guess we make it look too easy. I should take it as a compliment that someone would think I'm that good of a keyboard player, that I could have a conversation while playing. :thu:

I suppose I could talk while I am playing although I'm usually busy with backing vocals. I've always had to have right hand/left hand independence so I could cover the vocals at the same time as playing two different parts.

As far as stage intruders go, I play for a 400# black woman with an attitude who looks at every stage she's on as "her house". She takes care of ALL of my light work!

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I can answer to some questions while playing, especially if it's about free beer.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but when I played on cruise ships a few years ago, I used to do my Rubik's cube during the parts when I had nothing to play. Actually, when I was really bored, i also did my Rubik's cube even when I was supposed to play. (The band was hidden behind a curtain and all the tracks were doubled on tape anyway...)

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Originally posted by gangsu:

There are people on this forum who can read books while they play! That's real skill.

Yeah I can talk. do I ever shut up?

I can do that. But I can't talk while I play - at least not very well. For me a lot of playing is verbal and reading isn't.

I actually have to practice when I want to do a spoken introduction while playing.

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by bourniplus:

(The band was hidden behind a curtain and all the tracks were doubled on tape anyway...)

What was the purpose of the band if it was hidden behind a curtain? :confused:
I also wondered about the same thing. For many of the shows on cruise ships that's how it goes. Sometimes they would open the curtain so the audience could see the band, to add a visual effect sort of. Sometimes we'd spend an entire show throwing paper planes at each other and farting until the stage was covered with toxic gas...

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Archived