Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muse Receptor - Tips

Gérald_dup2

Hi to all fans and experts of the Muse Receptor,

My name is Gérald (French living in Germany) and I am a newcomer in this (very interesting) forum.

I plan to buy a Receptor in the following days to be able to use my VST plugins on stage with my band.

I have a couple of questions for you all:

- do you use a special rack for using your receptor on stage and for protecting it during transport ? How can I avoid to bring a table on stage ?

- when using a workstation and midi-masterkeyboard, does it make sense to plug the first one in the instrument input of repector for mixing purposes ? Doesn´t it reduce considerably the efficiency (loading speed, latency...) of your Receptor ?

- Assuming it is possible to do so, can I also use my workstation as a second midi keyboard using a midimerger while its audio output is already plugged in the audio input of my Receptor (I would then use the mixer to mute the audio input or the midi channels coming from said workstation depending on the song I play) ?

- what hardware configuration (RAM, HD) would you recommend to be on the safe side for live performance ?

- when will it be possible to use sampletank v2.1 ?

- same question for X-phraze (Steinberg) ?

Many thanks in advance for your great help !

Kind regards

Gérald

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little confused, Gérald. The workstation and the midi master keyboard are two different keyboards? If so, do they both have sounds or just the workstation?

I'm assuming there are two keyboards, the WS with sounds and the MMK without sounds. It sounds like you may be on to something here.

It's an interesting idea to use the Receptor's mixer/ processing capabilities to integrate your hardware keyboard into the receptor picture.

So, here's how I would start. Plug the midi out from the MMK into the WS first. that way, you can optionally play those internal WS sound from your MMK.

Then plug the midi Thru from the WS and the midi Out from the WS into the merge box. The merger's midi output would then be plugged into the receptor's midi in and ouila (as you say...BTW, how DO you spell ouila?) everybody's connected as far as midi is concerned.

Of course, now you'll need to assign midi send and receive channels according to your needs. In my own rig, I've chosen to have one of my keyboards send on a single midi channel, and the other one, a roland a90, sends on all channels for splitting layering, controller assignments, etc.

The keyboard that sends on a single channel can still play splits, layers etc. but that programming occurs within the module that it's sending to.

According to your idea, you'll plug the WS audio outs into the receptors audio ins and have some amazing processing options that will extend the capability of your WS considerably

I hope this helps a little, and good luck, Gérald. Let us know how it goes.

CJH

Las Vegas

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for your kind and great help.

Sorry, my english is not so good indeed !

But you understood correctly since I was meaning two keyboards: one being a workstation (Roland Fantom X7) and the other one a midi-keyboard (Edirol) with no sounds.

Thanks also for your explanation regarding how everything should be plugged... I am a beginner as far as Midi is concerned and it is for me a real nightmare to program split, layers etc... I hope and think the Receptor will help me doing it more easily.

Kind regards

Gérald

By the way, "Ouila" = "voilà" ;o)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gerald,

1) I have a Gator Rack back that I carry my Receptor around in. If you have a controller that send out program changes, you may not need a table for your Receptor, you can control Receptor from your keyboard.

2) Using the line input in back or Hi-Z input on the front of the Receptor, just to use the Receptor as a mixer will not use any DSP or increase load times, or anything like that. Just make sure all of your presets have that mixer channel open and turned on...

3) Yes, using a merger would be great, and mixing audio at the same time will not be a problem. MIDI and audio mutes are also not a problem.

4) If you are on tour, get the 2GB of RAM, but do not go higher that a 160GB, single-platter drive. Larger drives have more platters and heads, so you will need to be a little more delicate with your Receptor with larger drives.

5) Yes, you can download the Receptor installer for Sampletank here: http://www.plugorama.com/customer/product.php?productid=498&cat=0&page=1

6) We do not have an X-Phraze installer available for Receptor, it uses a weird form of CD-ROM based copy-protection that we haven't been able to figure out. Also, I think the plugin has been discontinued? Check with Steinberg...

That gig bag looks like mine, except mine is the one that can also hold a laptop. Not sure which model number it is. And, it fits on my Vespa Motor Scooter when I don't want to take the car, or get stuck in crazy LA traffic. However, it is slowly getting destroyed. Thank you Continental Airlines!

Receptor still works, though...amazingly. I'm surprised I haven't broken the hard drive yet.

Originally posted by Ted Rackley:

However, it is slowly getting destroyed. Thank you Continental Airlines!

I use a shallow Rockbag rack that fits in the overhead compartment of just about any airplane... If I have my way, I'll never check an instrument again! :)

Archived