Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Moog - Clue #3

Les Mizzell

I should add: I've been saying since Amos hinted at this on HC (and another fellow as well whose name I regretfully have forgotten ATM). A modern Source - called the "Force".

I don't belive they're really using the name that's been "leaked" and everyone is berating.

So, DB, you've known about this, huh? I fully understand you not willing to give details at all, so I won't even force you into that corner, but you must know the price point, too (but obviously not the actual price). Didn't BM and DS have lunch at some point in the recent past? Did they exchange ideas on a small mono (such as this and the MEK)?

Anyway, I know DB can't discuss details of the price - so this isn't for him: I believe if they go higher than $999 they'll have a dud on their hands. And I'm not wishing that upon Moog Music AT ALL, I'm just saying all of a sudden there would be a LOT of choices in the synthesizer arena. The Moog name has already been exploited in the sense that anyone who has the cash for a $1500+ plus Moog HAS one or two already. Like cell-phones, it's about mass-bling now or something like this will have too many competitors with similar or better qualities (hello MEK).

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Markyboard:

In other words a new Memorymoog then? Oh wait...It doesn't sound like 6 Voyagers.

The problem with six mono synths is you need very long fingers to play a chord. Just pulling your adversarial leg. :):P;)

This new Moog is exactly what I've been waiting for...a decent replacement for my long-gone Moog Rogue. I don't want a vintage analog synth, I want a new one, with a warranty, not filled with well-aged caps and ancient components slowly sliding out of spec ;)

100 memories, MIDI, Filter input, CV ins, some decent modulation - including osc2-->Filter Cutoff!!! I love it already!

This has a lot more features and control than the coveted Moog Prodigy or Source.

The Voyager has a lot of crap I don't want or need...Plus I can't see spending three grand for a monosynth no matter how good it is. I've already got a couple of Moogerfoogers and a CP-251 so, for me, this is a very good choice.

This is just...perfect!

Originally posted by Cydonia:

Originally posted by Markyboard:

In other words a new Memorymoog then? Oh wait...It doesn't sound like 6 Voyagers.

The problem with six mono synths is you need very long fingers to play a chord.
Fiinally...a valid arguement. :D

Just pulling your adversarial leg. :):P;)
No need. Just bend over and I'll bring it to you. :P

I think it's great. It doesn't matter whether or not Bob Moog designed it. There are a lot of classic Moog synths he didn't design... Memorymoog, Source, Prodigy, Multimoog...

The only important thing is that it sounds like a Moog... that certain sound we all recognize and love.

It doesn't even matter all that much what the price is, as long as it's in line with what vintage Moogs with the same general features are going for. This one sounds something like a Source, so I'm hoping the sell price is around a grand.

These guys are a cottage industry building synths for the ages... a relatively few synths a year but with an open-ended production run. A different model than the disposable stuff from Japan. And I applaud them for it.

Originally posted by sizzlemeister:

So, DB, you've known about this, huh?

:thu::cool:

I fully understand you not willing to give details at all, so I won't even force you into that corner, but you must know the price point, too (but obviously not the actual price).
I knew what price point they were shooting for, yes.

Didn't BM and DS have lunch at some point in the recent past? Did they exchange ideas on a small mono (such as this and the MEK)?
Nope - at least not the the best of my knowledge.

The MEK and the new Moog synth's development have nothing to do with each other, really. We built the MEK because a ton of people started asking for it as soon as they saw the PEK (including me). A lot of those requests came from here, KSS, VSE, etc, which was why it wasn't really that much of a surprise when we announced it.

I can't speak to the back story on the Moog piece at all...

dB

DSI

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by sizzlemeister:

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

Anybody want a Moog Source and separate encore midi kit?

HELL YES! If you're serious about this please PM me with details and a price.

As far as credentials go, you can ask DB about me.

Sizzlemeister = :cool::thu:

dB

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Frankly, I'm pretty bored with mono synths.

Frankly, I'm pretty bored with mono saxophones. And mono flutes. And mono clarinets. And mono trumpets, trombones, tubas, and French horns. And (typically played mono) basses and violins and viole and celli. And those boring wankers like Clapton and Hendrix and SRV and EVH who played all of those boring one-note-at-a-time guitar solos instead of strumming all six strings all the time, they drive me nuts!

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Frankly, I'm pretty bored with mono saxophones. And mono flutes. And mono clarinets. And mono trumpets, trombones, tubas, and French horns. And (typically played mono) basses and violins and viole and celli. And those boring wankers like Clapton and Hendrix and SRV and EVH who played all of those boring one-note-at-a-time guitar solos instead of strumming all six strings all the time, they drive me nuts!

;)

Hahahaha. :D

That's why we chose to be keyboardists... :)

;)

You forgot the monophonic singers. :idea:

dB

;)

You forgot the monophonic singers. :idea:

dB

Originally posted by Black Tomorrow:

Carbon-- what happened to your Rogue? Just wondering since I'm starting to have problems with mine.

I got tired of the maintenance...it was a 23 year old synth. Every three months or so I had to clean the keyboard leaf switches with deoxit (don't use anything else BTW) or it would play crazily out of tune. I was very lucky and removed the foam from inside mine before it decayed to black goo (a problem all the other Rogues I've seen have had) - I had to replace a bad VCF slider and noticed that crap starting to decay, so I scraped it out before it fouled the pots and switches.

The best thing about it was the excellent contoured sync sound and nice little filter! Having only a single AR for both the VCF and the VCA (with sustain either switched full-on or none at all) was getting a little frustrating as was the ganged OSC footage selector and ganged waveform select for both oscillators. That said, despite its charms, it was becoming more trouble than it was worth so thats why I sold it on eBay ...for about twice what I paid for it - "crazy money" :eek:

I had a Prodigy for a while too but the leaf switches were still going to require the same regular maintenance...also the sync was rather lacking in that it wasn't envelope controlled. It was in good condition (despite the poor case design) but was going to need a lot of attention and TLC to keep it that way.

The new Moog appeals to me over the previous synths for a number of important reasons:

1) Two seperate EGs, both full ADSRs.

2) Sync is controllable by filter EG.

3) Variable "Voyager" waveforms!

4) OSC2 -> Filter Cutoff mod! :freak:

Archived