Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with my Roland SH-1000

thomasryan

This was my dad's, it and a Yamaha DX7 are now mine. They're in really nice shape; cosmetically. I'll get into the problems of the DX7 later; I'm going to try to fix it myself first before I annoy you guys.

Onto my Roland SH-1000 (wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_SH-1000 ).

This thing looks anchient. First, I've done as much research I could about it, but nothing goes into specifics. Is there a place I could download a manual?

Ok, the problem (or maybe not). I can't play chords with this thing. Is that just how it is? Or is there something wrong with mine?

Hey, huge thanks in advance. If I can get these synths working, I know I'll love my new toys.

"Of all things in life, I refuse to feel ashamed of my method of shoe tying."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

MONOPHONIC

hey i had a SH 1000 or was it 2000 anyways Its so long ago i find it hard to remember i think the 1000 but i still "think" it was monophonic and a real good reason you cant play chords.[corect me anyone if my memory is lacking]

But what a groovy looking space ship console it is.

have fun

I kind of thought it could be monophonic, but I cant find any documentation on the thing so I wasnt sure.

So exactly what is the point of having a monophonic keyboard anyway?

mate

back in the early days of synths it was all we had.

It was so expensive for a polyphonic anyway.

But in the days of the SH 1000 I dont think there were any polyphonics available.[well commonly]

Im sure this was before the polymoog and the before the Prophet.

basically you had a piano or an organ for polyphonic or ensemble work and for those far out lead breaks you sat a Mono synthg on top of your organ [no pun intended] or your rhodes.

the Sh 1000 was not considered to be the upper echeolon of synths but was affordable.

Now yhour DX& was ground breaking stuff.

i went to the first open/demo night here in australia for it but alas could not afford one untill years later.having a TX7 module and then a DX7

Originally posted by thomasryan:

Ah, the innocence of youth! :D

Think of it as an expressive instrument in the tradition of a saxaphone or trumpet and you'll see why one note instruments can still be useful today.

But at that time - yeah that's all we had. Just so you understand the context, the MiniMoog, Arp Oddysey, Arp 2600 (early), Keith Emerson's giant Moog - they all only played one note at a time from the keyboard.

Moe

---

Originally posted by thomasryan:

It's definitely mono. I used to use my older brother's SH all the time. Lots of fun.

Mono is the best for soloing. Every note just seems to ring out better because there's no extraneous 'clutter' of more notes. This is one thing I loved about my Evolver before I traded it up to a PEK.

I seem to remember running across a PDF of the manual somewhere, I'll have a look around.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I can see how this thing can be useful for noise music (see Wolf Eyes); I'm getting some pretty scary sounds with it.

I can also see this thing being useful for medival melodies. If I remember correctly a lot of them are monophonic. This thing is way fun.

And my DX7 seemed to have fixed itself. If I leave it off for an extended time, turn it on, it tells me my ROM is corrupt and that I need to change the battery. It wasnt doing this before; what it was doing was every key was the same note except the first G from the left. I imagine it lost its screwy settings because the battery is dead. YAY DEAD BATTERY.

So what kind of music are you guys into? What kind do you play? And do any of you know of any cool Jazz resourses/ sites on the net? All I can ever pull up are really bad ones. Hey thanks, this forum is great and you guys are nice. I hope to master these two weapons so I'll be around for a while.

Oh yeah, a corrupt rom... is this bad?

Now wait a minute, the problem is back. And I ment RAM, not ROM. What the heck?

Its weird because the keys make different notes if I play it when it tells me the RAM is corrupt, but then if I turn it off then on again all the keys are the same except for that G.

Will start a new thread about this in a bit.

Archived