Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Cars/Blondie

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by b3keys:

Todd is an erractic performer as of late. He phoned it in on the Joe Jackson duo tour.

Yeah, he did. :bor:

Jackson was totally amazing, making Todd's...ummmm...lackluster performance seem even more pathetic... :rolleyes:

That's actually one of the reasons I'm seeing this show - I'm a big Todd fan, and I need to wash the taste of that last show out of my system. Here's hoping....

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

Talk about someone whos voice is shot.

She is 60 years old. While I don't dispute that her voice is shot, I'd like to know the percentage of 60-yo men and women who can still sing like they did when they were 25.

Probably pretty small.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Rabid:

After seeing her on Divas a few years ago I was horrified.

I ran into her in an airport awhile ago, and I was horrified... and she didn't even have to sing. :eek:

Still, I'd like to have some semblance of a career in entertainment when I was that age, so if people want to pay to see her, then I offer nothing but props.

- Jeff

I'd love to see them, but it is hard to imagine them without Benjamin or Ric. I love most of Ric's solo stuff too.

The bands I was in during the 80s could almost be called Cars tribute bands, we did

Just What I Needed

Magic

Hello Again

It's Not the Night

Stranger Eyes

Let's Go

Leave or Stay

Strap me In

You Might think

Drive

Moving In Stereo

You're All I've Got Tonight

Shake it Up

Good Times Roll

I wouldn't mind doing it all again :D

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

if people want to pay to see her, then I offer nothing but props.

How many people do you figure are going to that show because of Blondie? :confused:

Not me, that's for sure...I'm going to see the main act, not the opener.

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by b3keys:

Todd is an erractic performer as of late. He phoned it in on the Joe Jackson duo tour.

Yeah, he did. :bor:

Jackson was totally amazing, making Todd's...ummmm...lackluster performance seem even more pathetic... :rolleyes:

That's actually one of the reasons I'm seeing this show - I'm a big Todd fan, and I need to wash the taste of that last show out of my system. Here's hoping....

dB

Well, if his performance on the video clip is at least an indication, he seems pumped :thu:

How many people do you figure are going to that show because of Blondie? :confused:

Not me, that's for sure...I'm going to see the main act, not the opener.

Indeed!

Even without Todd, both Elliot and Greg were huge influences on me as a player of both guitar and synths. I'm in!

- Jeff

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Asia ?

Dude! I caught that! :eek:

While I'm not too familiar with their latter day catalog, I most CERTAINLY give Geoff Downes HUGE credit for his wonderful use of multiple keyboards -- electro-acoutic, analog and early digital synthesizers -- on the first two Asia albums in a time where that kind of integration was extremely new territory.

And if you don't dig the Asia stuff, at least give Geoff a deep bow and slow, heartfelt nod for his work on the "Yes - Drama" album. IMHO ... seriously F-ing great keyboard work. :thu:

Cheers,

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads-up - the New Cars sitre now has links to them playing on Leno and another late show:

Link here

I gotta say I'm still damn impressed and envious of you guys going to see them :thu:

Originally posted by erik norlander:

And if you don't dig the Asia stuff, at least give Geoff a deep bow and slow, heartfelt nod for his work on the "Yes - Drama" album. IMHO ... seriously F-ing great keyboard work.

I agree wholeheartedly, Mr. Norlander! Geoff Downes is a underrated keyboardist. :wave:

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

• 1 month later...

Originally posted by nursers:

db, what date are you going to see them?

Tonight.

Okay...the short version:

Blondie - not great. Debbie Harry can still kinda sing, but the band's energy wasn't great.

The Cars, OTOH...were freaking amazing. Todd looked and sounded like old Todd, not like the guy I saw last year with Joe Jackson. He covered Ocasek's parts flawlessly. Elliott Easton was unbelievable, of course...man that guy can play. Kasim Sultan rocked. as usual. Greg Hawkes was absolutely perfect, and Prairie Prince continues to amaze me every time I see him.

The band was way tight, the song selection was perfect, the sound was excellent.

If these guys get anywhere near you, go see the show fer sure. :thu:

dB

i like the cars, but i don't usually like amputated versions of original bands - maybe they'll do a decent job of it tho.
I don't think that's fair, they filled the band out with members of Utopia and the Tubes. Those were both good bands with solid musicians, and seem pretty like-minded for what the Cars did. Blondie, however: I heard that Harry and Stein were the only original members playing? If I went to see them, it would only be to hear Clem Burke's drumming.

Originally posted by dementia13:

I heard that Harry and Stein were the only original members playing? If I went to see them, it would only be to hear Clem Burke's drumming.

I thought Clem Burke was an original member...?

Yeah, besides him, Debbie and Chris Stein were the only original members - the rest were pretty young...and not that great, IMO.

I thought Chris Stein kinda sucked, too. He basically seemed to phone it in... :(

Debbie Harry maybe should'nta worn a baggy lime green track suit, either. :eek:

dB

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree about Blondie, based on their last few albums as well as the live footage that I have (I haven't been to a concert of theirs so can't say whether the live footage was touched up). I am amazed at how fresh the new Blondie sounds. They have kept their vision intact, pulling in elements from many different styles, both old and new, and melding it into their own unique sound.

Todd is one of my long-time heroes in pop/rock, and one of the few who I've actually had the pleasure of meeting and having a lengthy conversation with (I've had PLENTY of discussions with leading jazz players, but they are generally more accessible as their crowds tend to be smaller). Kasim Sulton is one of my heroes on the bass (my main instrument), and Prairire Prince is an all-around great drummer who fits into any project easily.

I first found out about this tour from my upstairs neighbour, who is currently recording/touring with The Tubes' current keyboardist (apparantly Prairie Prince is still splitting his time between other projects and The Tubes as well). So I immediately went on-line, and received sticker shock when I saw the cheapest tickets were over $100! I can't afford that (especially on short notice -- the Clear Lake CA gig was less than two weeks away).

This is a dream line-up to my ears, having Blondie, Todd and his favourite supporting musicians, and half of The Cars, all on the same bill. The last time I got this excited about a tour was the year I went up to The Gorge in Washington State (San Jose was sold out) to see Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, and Van Morrison together. One of the best shows I've ever seen, and great bang for the buck all around. Joni and Bob in particular had their best touring line-ups in years (Joni hadn't toured in so long that I assumed it was my last chance to see her live).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 month later...

I finally picked up The New Cars' album and even though it's mostly a rehash of old Cars and Rundgren hits, it's a damn good listen. Not Tonight is definitely the strongest of the three new songs though I quite like Warm...

Anyone else got the album?

Archived