Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

E major with sharp 9?????

Garrafon

:cry:

Damn...

I went to upload a cut of my band doing dreams.

Much to my horror every MP3 on my machine is gone.

5 years of downloading, ripping, recording, purchasing all gone.

If I wasn't in shock right now I would probably toss my laptop into a wall.

I stupidly back up all my work files but never backed up my music.

:mad::evil::o:(

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have not filled up the disk with other stuff, there is hope. Removing a file only dereferences it, it does not erase the data. Best not to use the machine at all until you scope this out. Just surfing around to find an undelete program will cache stuff and downloading and installing an undelete program will overwrite more blocks. If this is a desktop unit, it's best to pull your drive out, and install it as a non boot drive on another box and try to fix it from there.

PC? Windoze?

--wmp

If you have and external drive or even one of those USB memory sticks, try to download the utility to, and install it there to prevent any overwriting of your C drive. Good luck.
--wmp

Originally posted by BluesKeys:

[QB] I love the #9 because of the tension it gives. It just begs for a resolve. In Gary Moore's Still Got the Blues (my fav guitar song) most guitar players miss that chord at the end of the verse.

Another Gary Moore fan - that's a great tune.

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Originally posted by Synapse Collapse:

Great song; great thread. But is it a sign of the apocalypse that an interesting chord structure discussion was triggered by a Molly Hatchet cover?

Tom

Why do you say that? Hatchet's version is pretty darn cool! How many people do you know sing like Kermit the Frog on steriods? :D

Great song; great thread. But is it a sign of the apocalypse that an interesting chord structure discussion was triggered by a Molly Hatchet cover?

Tom

Why do you say that? Hatchet's version is pretty darn cool! How many people do you know sing like Kermit the Frog on steroids? :D

Originally posted by garrafon:

Tom

Why do you say that? Hatchet's version is pretty darn cool! How many people do you know sing like Kermit the Frog on steroids? :D
No disrespect intended. I am sure I have their first album somewhere at my mom's house. I can still see the artwork in my head, along with the white dress shoes the lead singer was wearing for the band photo.

We guitarists learn that chord early on. It is, unfortunately, the staple chord of stupid white boy garage funk, just like a kind of non-functional major seventh chord is the staple of stupid white boy garage jazz...
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

How many people do you know sing like Kermit the Frog on steroids? :D

Hey, I've been told I sing that song quite well. What does that imply. :confused::D
Hey MidLife, let's have a listen to your version. If you pass the test, I'll check and see if Miss Piggy is still single :D:freak:

Hey MidLife, let's have a listen to your version. If you pass the test, I'll check and see if Miss Piggy is still single :D:freak:

I didnt get my MP3s back. Tried 5 different recovery utilities. I'll share my version once I get some files again.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

I didnt get my MP3s back. Tried 5 different recovery utilities. I'll share my version once I get some files again.
I'd love to hear it. And I promise not to heckle you, even though Statler and Waldorf from the Muppet shows are my two main inspirations in life.

Sorry to hear about the computer issues, I hope those files (and any other data you may have lost) can be found!

Another song that comes to mind is "Mas que nada" (by Jorge Ben); would it be so memorable without that #9 chord -on the rhytm break- introducing the verse?
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I'm also a fan of this chord. The sparse voicings mentioned above are all nice.

When a jam tune gets really fat with this chord, I'll also throw in the 9 for even more disonance. This especially works on a B3 with lots of chorus and fast Leslie -- I'll sort of slap around with the left hand catching two or three keys in the general vicinity of E :) and the right hand switching between closely voiced inversions of Gmaj7, rootless E9, the Hendrix chord itself, and a plain-old E7.

I make a conscious effort to keep that pretty random, so there's this weird chromatic bouncing-around this happening. And I don't hold any one note very long, I'm talking 1/16th and 1/8 notes here.

Gets pretty nasty. In a good way. ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Its a great chord for jazzing up your blues, If you play a C7#9, E Bb Eb, and then move it down a half step, you get a B7#9. Now if you replace the bass note with an F, you get into trione land cause now the chord sounds like an F 13, b7 3 6. And if you move up a half step you get a G 13!

Its a great chord for jazzing up your blues, If you play a C7#9, E Bb Eb, and then move it down a half step, you get a B7#9. Now if you replace the bass note with an F, you get into trione land cause now the chord sounds like an F 13, b7 3 6. And if you move up a half step you get a G 13!

Originally posted by wmp:

The note to leave out is the B. 7#9 needs no steenking 5. Without the G# it's an Em7.

Perhaps, but someone else in te band will be playing the G#.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived