Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Workstation confusion

Krakit

I have never given workstations much of a thought. Not until yesterday anyway.

Yesterday at Guitar Center, I started noodling with a Korg Triton. I don't know how it was set up but as soon as I started playing the Triton automatically accompanied me.

It was surreal. It seemed to keep up with everything I did. Tempo and key changes. Even when I changed patches the keyboard still kept backing me up. Changing feel and genre without any input from me other than what I was doing on the keys.

It impressed me so much that I decided that I have to start saving for and researching workstations.

So today I went back to Guitar Center to recreate my experience.

I don't know what changed but I wasn't able to recreate the settings that were there before. I tried all the Tritons, the Motif and the Fantom. None of them were doing that automatic rhythm section thing that I fell in love with yesterday.

I pushed all the buttons trying to find the magic combination that triggers the backing tracks. No joy.

What do I have to do to make that happen again?

Carl

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it certainly wasn't a Karma. It was the Triton Le.

As for the arpeggiator, this was way beyond just arpegiation. It was drums, bass, guitar and sometimes even horns.

Carl

if you find out how this happened let me know!! this is the kind of stuff I really wish workstations did more of. I really wish you didn't have to program them so much and could get full arrangements like you mentioned 'on the fly' like a clavinova or other similar board. I do have the Triton LE and have never stumbled upon this feature however.....

Aaron

Originally posted by Krakit:

As for the arpeggiator, this was way beyond just arpegiation. It was drums, bass, guitar and sometimes even horns.

It was probably the arpeggiator. The ones in the Triton are a lot more sophisticated than what you're used to thinking of as a conventional arpeggiator.

The MOTIF does this as well...I imagine the Fantom does, too...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Krakit,

What you were playing was one of the sounds from the combi banks.

Press the combi button located between the real time control knobs and the view screen. Then choose either A,B,or C banks under the Prog bank on the right of the keyboard. You can use the wheel to scroll through the sounds.

When you first dial in a sound, the Arp on/off (next to volume slider) is usually on (though not all the time). This will give you the accompaniment (which is a mixture of different sounds and beats). What triggers this is hitting a key in the lower octave. If the Arp on/off is not lit (or turned off by the user) then there will be no accompaniment.

I too like this feature and jam with it quite often. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by keyoctave:

Krakit,

Press the combi button located between the real time control knobs and the view screen. Then choose either A,B,or C banks under the Prog bank on the right of the keyboard. You can use the wheel to scroll through the sounds.

When you first dial in a sound, the Arp on/off (next to volume slider) is usually on (though not all the time). This will give you the accompaniment (which is a mixture of different sounds and beats). What triggers this is hitting a key in the lower octave. If the Arp on/off is not lit (or turned off by the user) then there will be no accompaniment.

It's the same with the MOTIF (except they're called Performances, not Combis).

dB

Originally posted by marino:

Carl - by chance, was that Triton attached to a computer? Korg has software which adds Karma functions to Tritons.

Nope, it was just hanging on the wall above and below other Tritons.

Carl

Originally posted by keyoctave:

Krakit,

I too like this feature and jam with it quite often. :)

That sounds right. Whenever I improvise, I always start by stabbing a chord with my left hand. The accompaniment started as soon as I did that. It was kind of like the way the QSR plays grooves when you hold down notes on some patches. However, I didn't have to hold anything down. The "groove" would just start and I could play all the keys in the lower register (or not) and the groove would continue independant of what I did. It was really fantastic.

I'm going to print out your instructions and take them with me to see if this works.

:D

Carl

Is it true that other keyboards can make this magic? I never realized that the technology to do this existed before. It would make composition so much easier to have this tool. I was coming up with riffs and grooves right after another when I was playing with this in the store.

Carl

Originally posted by 88keys4me:

Carl, to echo Dave Bryce's comment, the Motif accomplishes this in "Performance" mode.

...and does some other related fun things in plain 'ol voice mode. They're called Mega Voices...

If you go to Voice mode and go to the USER1 bank, you'll find some fun with guitars and basses (assuming, of course, that no one's overwritten them). Each one has five variations - while holding down a chord, try pressing the five soft buttons under the display labeled SF1-SF5.

dB

..... and of course those 5 variations can be swapped out with 1,782 other ones :) .... AND each of those has some edit-ability as well......

Im loving my S90ES more and more everyday.... very glad I had the help in here to aid in my descision of the best keyboard... for what I was looking for. I have a feeling this will be my main axxe for quite awhile....

It is the arpeggiator button.

But it only gives you the accompniament >?(spelling)

when it is in Comination mode. in Program mode it simply gives arpeg...

they have continued that on with the TR, which is replacing the LE, (TR = LE + Bigger CPU + USB + Bigger SD Storage[instead of small CF storage])

K-OZ

You might want to try a Kork PA 1 X-pro as well: same soundset as the Triton, but a much more sophisticated rhytm section.

Welcome to the world of arranger keyboards, which will eventually merge with workstations. :cool:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

You might want to try a Kork PA 1 X-pro as well: same soundset as the Triton, but a much more sophisticated rhytm section.

Welcome to the world of arranger keyboards, which will eventually merge with workstations. :cool:

What is the difference between and arranger and a workstation?

Carl

Originally posted by Krakit:

What is the difference between and arranger and a workstation?

Carl

Actually the difference is becoming more and more subtle: what you have experienced with the Triton LE is a feature arranger keyboards have had for many years: a built-in rhytm section, complete with a chord recognition system. An arranger keyboard takes this concept even further: a "style" is made not just of drums and bass, but also of every other instrument that fits in with said style (acoustic or electric guitar, strings, brass, etc) and within each style there are up to four variations of increasing complexity, each with its own fill-in. Modern workstations have implemented this feature exactly for the reason you stated: it's a powerful aid in the process of composition. True, the more a style is loaded with instruments, the more it becomes recognizable and repetitive, but since each instrument has its own track/channel, you can mute them at will.

Since you have already tried a Korg, I suggest that you have a listen to the Pa1X pro demo.

BTW, yesterday I downloaded your Wabi-Sabi: great job! :thu:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Archived