Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official AI 2006 Thread

daBowsa

It is also time for them to start wearing down physically and emotionally. They do a lot of appearances, plus practice, plus shooting commercials, plus some travel, plus shooting those little info clips about their history, etc...

It seems like the majority wear down every year while one or two hang tough.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Elliott, Chris, and Paris may need to be worried this week.

Katherine's second song was great. So much more natural and fun - she seemed kinda giddy at how it turned out. (Umm... and the choreography worked for me too).

Chris' second song - dude, a bit over the top - pull back a bit next time.

Paris' second song - very well executed. But she seems to keep using the same tricks (vocally, physical moves) over and over, and seems too calculated.

Hard to say how it will go, very inconsistent show this week.

Taylor, baby. Taylor and Kat. Kat's more of the "Idol type," but Taylor could pull it off, I think.

First Elliot goes, then Chris. I've been way off before, but that seems right to me now.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Sorry, just read the last page here and missed (!) last night. My wife and I are usually faithful watchers (except last season for some reason).

From the clips I've seen it seems as if Elliott is bringing it on for the home stretch. Purely from a vocal standpoint, this is good. From a marketing perspective, though, I think other contestants are easier packages to sell.

I think Chris and then Kat showed that this was their Idol to win or lose. It's a shame when they peak early in the competition and don't hold on. Although Kelly Clarkson has probably done the best commercially/financially of all the Idols thus far, I'm still disappointed that Tamyra Gray didn't have a stronger finish, if not outright win the first season. (At least it would have spared us "From Justin to Kelly". Yuck! :P ) So not seeing Chris and Kat at the finish line would also be disappointing to me at this point.

My wife is a big Taylor fan. I think he's a great entertainer but am not sure if he has the pipes of a great singer. And we all remember what S. Cowell has said over and over, "this is a singing competition". (Ever notice when you put his first initial and last name together like that it's like scowl? How appropriate! :D ) I wouldn't mind having Taylor front my band.

Elliott's marketing stock went up after he went through his Idol makeover. He's shown that he can sing at times. Peaking late in the competition may help him, but I don't see him being as commercially successful as Chris or Kat.

If it turns into Taylor and Elliott at the end, I think it will be another Reuben/Clay hohum year.

Originally posted by daBowsa:

Taylor was awesome. Eliott was awesome. Chris was good. Kat was "eh".

Sorry boys, but it looks like we're in for an all-guy final.

Yeah, it's a shame, but I think she's a goner. I think she may actually be the best singer of the bunch, in terms of what her voice is capable of, but she had a bad night, and that's usually all it takes at this stage.

I think Taylor is the front-runner now, but a lot can change in a week.

A Taylor/Chris final would be interesting. Not your typical "Idol" showdown.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

I saw Simon on Today this morning, and he is predicting a Chris/Taylor final.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Wow. I really don't get what everyone sees in Elliot. His performances just seem so mechanical and boring to me. Yeah, his voice is pretty good -- but at this stage of the competition everyone has a decent voice.

No accounting for taste, my grandpa always said... :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Unbelievable. I thought it would be Elliott this week. Maybe Chris' unwillingness to compromise (and stay the alt-rock guy) hurt him, or maybe people thought he did well enough that he didn't need them to call in a vote.

Kat was in the bottom two as well.

Chris is probably better off not winning after all, though.

I was shocked as well. IMHO Chris has the most talent. He was certainly the only one who had any creativity. As Felix said, his unwilling to turn himself commercial may have hurt him in the end.

My money says he will be the most commercially viable out of the top 4.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

The band Live was on Stern this morning. Chris had covered their version of that Johnny Cash song on country week. The band was talking real good about him. He's going to land on his feet and is probably better off getting booted off now and not dealing with the idol contract, which hasn't seemed to have done anyone any good.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

BTW, if you're on the west coast, don't read this thread between 6 and 9. :P I got a spoiler on this one. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Dave, the same thing happened to me. I clicked on the thread at about 7:00 PM PST and read, "Chris was booted off."

My fault for not considering that others had already seen the show in earlier time zones and could be discussing the outcome.

Even so, it might not hurt to add "may include spoilers" to the title of the thread

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by DanL:

The band Live was on Stern this morning. Chris had covered their version of that Johnny Cash song on country week. The band was talking real good about him. He's going to land on his feet and is probably better off getting booted off now and not dealing with the idol contract, which hasn't seemed to have done anyone any good.

That is the week that Chris lost a large amount of his following, and in the long term lost AI. A lot of rocker fans were really upset when he took credit for that arrangement of "I Walk the Line". The reaction was so bad that the next week he talked about the band "Live" and said he never intended to take credit for that arrangement. After that he started hitting the bottom three.

Robert

Originally posted by DanL:

He's going to land on his feet and is probably better off getting booted off now and not dealing with the idol contract, which hasn't seemed to have done anyone any good.

I agree he'll land on his feet and might actually have some commercial success, but all of the Idol winners are in the midst of actual muic careers now. The only non-winners I can think of who can say that is Clay Aiken and Josh Gracin.

Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia, and Carrie all have albums, videos, tours, grammy nominations, etc. Believe me, all of these folks are glad that they won - I can't think of any contestant who is better off losing.

Somehow I knew this thread would be at the top of the page when I got in to work today..

Yes Debowsa so true. The winners get to tap into the AI pub machine, which up til now has been a finely tuned juggernaut. Chris is gonna be okay though as long as he stays within a band format. Outside of that there are plenty of good rock singers out there, he'd get lost in the crowd me thinks.. On this outcome, I guess his fans just got caught of guard and felt he'd be automatic.

Soooo.... A Kat vs Taylor finale in the works?

TROLL . . . ish.

I think both Clay Akin and Kimberly Locke has done better than Ruben. I liked her better than anyone else that year. She was also a nice story. That girl has to have the record for appearances in the bottom 2. She kept hanging on, evolving her image, and ended up with a nice hit.

Robert

I didn't remember who Kimberly Locke was, so I looked her up...HOLY CRAP! I thought "8th World Wonder" was a Shania Twain song.

I agree that Chris needs to find a band an build a following that way. Bo Bice is proof of how rockers attempting the "solo act" falls flat.

Kimberly Locke was a good singer ... I just wanted to hear her sing something other than "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" one more time. :rolleyes:

I made a mistake earlier. My wife and I watched last season; it was season 3 with Fantasia that we stopped watching after there were like 8 left.

I wouldn't mind having Bo Bice front my band, either. :thu:

I'd like to see Kat in the finals this season, if only because I found the other all-male final (Ruben/Clay) somewhat boring.

(wrong post)
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

I think Elliott is going home tomorrow. Two of his songs were weak.

Taylor was the best and now seems like the favorite to win.

Kat was ok, I liked her Over the Rainbow version but I was not as impressed as the judges were with it.

Did anyone else hear the news that Chris has been offered the lead singer job with Fuel?

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

On the TV show "Extra", the members of Fuel just a few hours after Chris was kicked off offered him the lead singer position. I haven't heard if he's taking it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived