Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

slippery keys

CraigT

So, I've got this S90ES at home. I have a small annoyance with the keys being somewhat slick. Somehow real piano keys seem to have some grip to them and I find easier to play stride. Is there some solvent that will clean plastic keys, make them less slippery but not discolor or otherwise damage them? Water ain't doin' it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I Dig.

Ive often thought of taking some 0000 grade (lubed with some perspex pollish) steel wool to the keys on my Yamaha U3 but Ive never ive not got around to it.

What actualy happens is; greasy fingers on the shiny surface makes it feel a bit 'sticky'

Talcum powder is one solution but the best is Ivory keys ;)

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

There was a famous pianist (can't for the life of me remember who it was) who always came out on stage with a little spray bottle of hairspray. After sitting down at the piano, he would, with a dramatic flourish, spray a light mist of hairspray in the air above the keyboard and allow it settle on the keys. The idea was that it would make the keys a little tacky, and it sort of became his "thing." I want to say it was Rachmaninoff, but that doesn't seem right.

Anyway, that's one idea, although I'm not sure it's the best idea when using an electronic instrument.

Probably Paderewski. One pic is worth a thousand words. ;)

http://www.info-regenten.de/regent/regent-d/pictures/poland-paderewski-1.jpg

He certainly could use a whole hairspray bottle per concert. 99% for the hair and the last shot for the keys. :)

Archived