Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

I'm not a huge college hoops fan either but there is a lot of fun participating in forum pools.

I've created a private group for anyone who wants to participate. Go to yahoo sports and the group name is KeyboardCorner.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men/group/58757

the password is "hammond" (no quotes)

Lets see if anyone else wants to participate.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by steadyb:

Lakers beat Spurs ... in San Antonio.

...and then proceed to drop one to the lowly Sonics...in LA! :eek:

Both Chris Mihm and Alan Iverson messed their ankles up today. Hope they're both okay.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Magpel:

wee bit OT:

I am getting the most wonderful sports fan thrill this week, and from the most unlikely place, as the Syracuse Orange--one of my core teams, on par with the Yankees and NYG--has come up golden in the big east tournament, playing themselves into an NCAA bid with three consecutive heroic last second performances by Senior guard Gerry McNamarra, the last playing player left from the national championship team. The win over #1 UCONN was a thrill but tonight's absolute "steal" over Georgetown was an even greater thrill. 'Cuse took its first lead of the game with 5 seconds left, after trailing by 15 at the half. McNammara is all blood and guts and heart right now. Unreal.

It's been an incredible joy! Just needed to share!

Mags, that even brought me out of the woodwork. What a run!!! (Just for the record, with my new responsibilities at work, I am only an occasional forum visitor)

There you are, Prog! Good to hear from you, and congratulations on the 'Cuse. I watchyed the Big East final at a sports bar in Derby, CT, in the middle of a long drive home from a day spent wandering Rhode Island beaches, an unseasonably warm day,of course...

Anyway, Pitt is a tough-ass team, and I never doubted for a moment that they were going to come back and make it close. G=Mac didn't hit a game winner this time, but he did make the biggest shot of the game--the 3 to give Syracuse a 50-48 lead right after Pitt had grabbed its first lead since 3-2.

Well, for me it was xmas in March. Love to see the fun continue in the tournament, but even if it doesn't (everyone seems to think they have a brutral first round draw in Texas A&M) this is THE most important Big East tournament win of the Boeheim era.

It will have an incalculably good effect on the "disappointing" junior class when they become seniors next year. Of course, for the first two months of the season,I fully expect them to play like headless chickens without McNamarra out there.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Anyone up for an unofficial tourney pool?

We can signup at yahoo and track progress.

To make it easy everyone could create a pick set name like KeyboardCorner_RockXtreme. Names can be up to 30 characters.

yeah, I'll join. Who wants to bet I won't finish second?

(wink wink to participants in last year's NFL survival and pick 'em pools...)

Okay... here's my dumb (or perhaps innocent) tourney hoops bracket question.

What's the point? It's not like it's not all going to end with one of maybe six teams anyway (call it UConn, Duke, UNC, Tenn, LSU, or Ohio State, perhaps). Seriously, how often does a maverick school actually kick one of these powerhouses out of the running?

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

how often does a maverick school actually kick one of these powerhouses out of the running?

NC State over Georgetown. Derreck Whittenburg rawked!!!

Gonzaga when they first hit the stage.

BC with John Bagley making it to the final 4.

Almost every other year a shocker makes it to the final 4. very few take the top prize. But the tourney shockers are always fun.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

UConn, Duke, UNC, Tenn, LSU, or Ohio State, perhaps). Seriously, how often does a maverick school actually kick one of these powerhouses out of the running?

- Jeff

Well, 16s never beat 1s, 15s almost never beat 2s, but there are upsets in every other matchup routinely. I think it is THE great American chmapionship tournament. I even prefer it to the NFL postseason, but just barely.

Yeah Mags, I know you're a March Madness fan. My dad has always been a freak about the tournament, probably because he was at Cincinnati at the same time as Oscar Robertson. I'll tell you, every year, I get the same phone call:

Dad: Can you BELIEVE this?

Me: Huh?

Dad: Aren't you watching the game?

Me: What game?

Dad: WHAT GAME?!?!?

Me: Oh, it's that college thing again, isn't it?

Dad: I have no son.

*click*

:D

- Jeff

I'm not a huge college hoops fan either but there is a lot of fun participating in forum pools.

I've created a private group for anyone who wants to participate. Go to yahoo sports and the group name is KeyboardCorner.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men/group/58757

the password is "hammond" (no quotes)

Lets see if anyone else wants to participate.

I tried your link but keep getting the following message:

There was a problem:

You are not a member of this group. (Error #113)

I guess this is the page to start on

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men

then hit the "create or join group" button

you then want to join a private group

you will then get to the page which asks for the group id and password

id = 58757

pw = hammond

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Dad: Can you BELIEVE this?

Me: Huh?

Dad: Aren't you watching the game?

Me: What game?

Dad: WHAT GAME?!?!?

Me: Oh, it's that college thing again, isn't it?

Dad: I have no son.

*click*

:D

- Jeff

LOL

My dad (A Syracuse grad) only cared about Pro football,and even then only the first quarter or so. He'd get set up in the recliner with his pile of snacks, and his ashtray, and usually get through the first quarter before falling asleep. Oftentimes the last thing he would say would be, after a big hit in the game, "that would kill me."

Well, of course, it was the snacks and the smoking and the sitting in the recliner that killed him, but he had a good life and this is supposed to be a pleasant memory...

:freak:

:thu:

Alright, made my picks and it should be obvious that when I said I know nothing about college B-ball, I meant it. Xavier leads the X-men, so I think they'll go far. Marquette is a city in Northern Michigan where we had a really good show, so them too. The rest.. well, cool names = win.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Just to update you all, The mighty Blue Devil women went down in the first round of the Sweet Sixteen out in Tacoma. Stout dug a 24 point hole by halftime as DIII player of the year Megan Sylva was relentless in her attack.

At 10 minutes in second half they were down by 26.

It seemed hopeless... but.... the girls were down but not out.

Slowly but surely over the next 8 minutes we got the lead down to 4!!!!!!

But, alas we ran out of time....ended up a 10 point game with all the last minute fouling.

Gotta love those girls.....

In.

:thu:

That makes 7.

I couldn't get in. What's the secret?
Yikes, B! Get in now! Did you try all the links in this thread? The key is to find the tournament pickem homepage and then enter the group name an ID from above..at least I think that's how I did it

I couldn't get in. What's the secret?

This should work. Hopefully you make the deadline

This is the page to start on

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men

then hit the "create or join group" button

you then want to join a private group

you will then get to the page which asks for the group id and password

id = 58757

pw = hammond

Steve