Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Unknot:

Originally posted by RecreationalThinker:

Could this possibly be the year for the Mavericks?

No way -- it's the Spurs again! :wave:
I guess we'll have an idea of how they match up after the game tonight.

Yes, I know it's the regular season, but Dallas has a lot to prove...

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

Originally posted by jackpine:

Ok ... I know it's the NBA thread but I just had to tell someone again this year. My daughters team (University of Wisconsin-Stout) won their conference for the second year in a row. They then went on a 3 game run and won the conference championship for the second year in a row.

Can you say automatic bid into the NCAA DIII tourney?

Down to Indianola, Iowa Friday for the games.

Im so psyched.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled NBA chatter

:thu:

I have a couple friends that started guard on a men's D III championship team. I would rather watch them then a group of people making 10 mil a year. It means something. Congrats. I cannot imagine how excited you are for a close family member to have that chance.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Don't look now, but Finley is starting to really contribute in San Antonio...danger, Will Robinson: another guy who can hit big shots, get hot, carry you down the stretch in a close game. This team was designed to blossom in the postseaon, I think.

Hey, I would love to see Finley get a ring. He's a classy guy and an admirable player, all the way back to his Phoenix days.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Don't look now, but Finley is starting to really contribute in San Antonio...danger, Will Robinson: another guy who can hit big shots, get hot, carry you down the stretch in a close game. This team was designed to blossom in the postseaon, I think.

Hey, I would love to see Finley get a ring. He's a classy guy and an admirable player, all the way back to his Phoenix days.

Dont get caught up with Finley having two hot games in a row. I'm sure Pop is going to limit his minutes to very few in the post-season because of his inability to drive to the hoop. Actually, he has the ability, but obviously prefers to shoot the jumper 99 out of a 100 times. Finley has the ability to get cold streaks just like his hot streaks. When you miss jump shots, you give a team like Phoenix or Dallas a chance to get a head start on their fastbreak and limit the Spurs ability to play stingy half-court defense. Other than the stupid offensive mistakes and Dirks inability to post up in the block on Bowen, the lack of transition offense in the second half was the reason Dallas lost. Of course, with Finley hitting his jump-shots, it's hard to notice the transition game.

I'm not bagging on Finley. I adored him when he was in Dallas for his stone-cold shot making...however, he has progressively lost a step and will be a liability for the Spurs in the playoffs. I hope he plays in the playoffs...lol BTW, Finley is a classy guy...the most overpaid wealthiest classiest guy in the league that is....I don't feel sorry for him. I'd rather see Nash grab a ring first.

Play only what you hear within...if you hear nothing, play nothing at all

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

Fun read on ESPN.com on the art of flopping...

Link

Here's their Hall of Flop Fame:

Bill Laimbeer: The Godfather. A master at appearing hurt then sprinting back down the floor (the picture of perfect health).

Reggie Miller: With legs kicks and splayed arms, hoops alchemist spun offensive fouls into defensive whistles.

Dennis Rodman: The flop as taunt: clever defender used positioning and flamboyance to get calls and get inside opponents' heads.

Vlade Divac: Took plenty of hard shots from Shaq. Made all of 'em look a whole lost worse. No coincidence his wife is an actress.

Manu Ginobili: Best of the new-school Fosburys boosted by energetic, unpredictable movements, floppy 'do.

Also receiving votes (in a random, unscientific poll): Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Allen Iverson, Raja Bell, Jarron Collins, Chris Whitney, Shane Battier (in college), Tony Parker, Bryon Russell (recently cut), Michael Curry.

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2006/0303/photo/g_divac_195.jpg

:)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Fun read on ESPN.com on the art of flopping...

Link

Also receiving votes (in a random, unscientific poll): Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Allen Iverson, Raja Bell, Jarron Collins, Chris Whitney, Shane Battier (in college), Tony Parker, Bryon Russell (recently cut), Michael Curry.[/i]

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2006/0303/photo/g_divac_195.jpg

:)

- Jeff

Don't forget Darrell Armstrong...great defender, but has an uncanny knack of drawing charge even when being posted up against

My Gear: Motif; Ensoniq MR-76; Suitcase Rhodes; Earthquake MKII Pedal; DiscomBOBulator; PodXT

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/03_Marzo/04/fdg/BASKET.jpg

My weekly contribution to this thread...

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

http://lang.dailynews.com/socal/gallery2/sports/030506_lakers/2.jpghttp://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2006/0304/photo/g_odom_412.jpghttp://lang.dailynews.com/socal/gallery2/sports/030506_lakers/5.jpg

Lakers - 105

Pistons - 94

The loss also meant the Pistons won't be eclipsing the NBA-record 72-10 mark the Chicago Bulls compiled in 1995-96.

Ok....small time intrusion number 2.

I just got back from beautiful Des Moines, IA, where my Stout Blue Devil women went 2 for 2 to break themselves into the Sweet 16 for NCAA DIII.

Pretty easy game on Friday. Then we played the home court Simpson collage girls. What a battle, but we persevered.

Just got the call that they are playing the next round in Seattle.... this really sucks.... We were hoping maybe for a home floor second round....

We now return to large wealthy men playing ball...... :wave:

GO STOUT!

So, steady, you beat the somewhat struggling Pistons. Good show. Makes for an interesting matchup tonight against the Spurs. If you guys make it back to back wins against the 2 best teams in the league, I'll start paying attention. Seriously. Great opportunity for the Lakers.

Yeah, these guys drive me crazy. There have been games where the whole team gives a 48 minute effort, and they look amazing, but more often, it's just Kobe, who gives total effort every minute he's out there.

He was sick as a dog vs. the Warriors and the Pistons, and still went for 40+.

If they play defense all night like the Pistons game, we could do well tonight.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Yeah, these guys drive me crazy. There have been games where the whole team gives a 48 minute effort, and they look amazing, but more often, it's just Kobe, who gives total effort every minute he's out there.

He was sick as a dog vs. the Warriors and the Pistons, and still went for 40+.

Ahem.... :o

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/03_Marzo/07/Fdg/CANESTRO.jpg

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by steadyb:

Also, if Finley and Ginobili don't shoot 10-12 on 3's (83%), we'll be fine.

SteadyB...I feel your pain. Finley was on fire against my Mavs. However, if the Lakers match up vs. the Spurs in the 1st round (which I hope it's my Mavs, but doubt it due to injuries), then Finley will probably vanish and not be played much. Just hope that Ginoboli's acrobatic act is left at the circus.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060308/capt.77e7fa08566b48f5978a3f0e5962e48c.spurs_clippers_basketball_las109.jpg

Clips Stop Streaking Spurs

Go Clips! :D

(I only do this to annoy steadyb, but it's so much fun!)

- Jeff

I'm a Clippers fan when they face San Antonio & Phoenix. I'm a Lakers fan when they face San Antonio & Phoenix. I'm a Phoenix fan when they face San Antonio this weekend...hmmm, who could I be routing for?

wee bit OT:

I am getting the most wonderful sports fan thrill this week, and from the most unlikely place, as the Syracuse Orange--one of my core teams, on par with the Yankees and NYG--has come up golden in the big east tournament, playing themselves into an NCAA bid with three consecutive heroic last second performances by Senior guard Gerry McNamarra, the last playing player left from the national championship team. The win over #1 UCONN was a thrill but tonight's absolute "steal" over Georgetown was an even greater thrill. 'Cuse took its first lead of the game with 5 seconds left, after trailing by 15 at the half. McNammara is all blood and guts and heart right now. Unreal.

It's been an incredible joy! Just needed to share!

Archived