Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They avoid talking about the 'stones the way death row inmates avoid talking about the chair, then they claim it's because the Pistons are "boring".

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

What a great offensive display from both teams!

Their Game 1 score looks like it came from a double-OT game!!!!! Clippers made a few silly mistakes but generally looked okay. Suns were their typical selves, pushing the ball, making baskets from anywhere, etc.

~~~~~~~

Regarding the Pistons being "boring", I think to the casual basketball fan, since they don't have someone who is "flashy", they may come across as "boring".

To the more "serious" basketball fan, they may display great gritty defense, sound basketball fundamentals, and amazing team ball, the way it should be played.

This is a great story....whether it's true or not.....

"Touche

You probably remember how Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, in response to Phoenix guard Raja Bell having thrown him to the floor during their playoff game last Tuesday night, quipped that Bell probably wasnt hugged enough as a child.

After Game 7 of the series, when the Suns humbled the Bryant-led Lakers 121-90, I was told Bryant, as he dejectedly walked from the locker room to a post-game media conference, was approached by a woman who said, You look like someone who could use a hug.

The woman? Bells mother."

http://journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=5505

Pistons are great.

I suspect they won't even be severely tested until they see the Spurs, and I've got them winning that prospective series in seven, in de-Twah

I think the Pistons were the SLIGHTLY better team last year, and it was home floor alone that saved the Spurs.

At this point, my rooting problem is that I like every remaining team except the Cavs and the Heat. I was going to adopt the Clips but the Suns have really won my heart of late--seldom has run and gun ball been played with such unselfishness and intelligence, IMO.

In the East I always root for the Nets, but I love the way the Pistons exemplify team greatness, and even though the Nets are a well balanced team, there is one thing that the Pistons do infinitely better than the Nets: half court offense, and that will be the Nets undoing should that series come to pass.

I've rooted for the Spurs since the advent of the Duncan era--in fact they've probably been my favorite team since the Celtics of the '80s.

And so I find myself in my usual position of just rooting for close games, close series, and well played ball.

And as for LeBron -- I hold nothing against him, except that he is just ASKING for it by going so easily with the Nike-driven "I am a Witness" thing. In the NBA's new rennassaince of good teams, you are the poster boy for the obsolete, out-going superstar-centric model. Nike and ABC, of course, will be the last to realize this and will continue to foist you upon us messiah style.

Yep, leBron, you will be the witness of the Piston's greatness...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Root:

Let's talk about the PISTONS!! Making King James look more like Princess Loooser. [/QB]

I'm down, I'm also of the belief that the thrashing Lebron is taking is a good thing. A measuring stick if you will. It comes in the same form that Michael took his beating...from a Piston! His growth was measured from him overcoming Isaih & co. Lebron's will be overcoming Taysaun, Rip, & Chauncey. Greatness is forged from steel.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/chris_mannix/05/08/james.rules/t1_jordan.dumars.jpg

In 10 years we'll be talking about the year Lebron turned this beating around and inflicted back onto Detroit. For now, The Cav's will win the one game Detriot takes off.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Magpel:

...but the Suns have really won my heart of late--seldom has run and gun ball been played with such unselfishness and intelligence, IMO.

That's for sure. And as an added bonus for us fans, they are the most FUN to watch as a result. Really a remarkable team.

On the Pleasure of Hating Kobe Bryant

And the sadness of watching him exit the playoffs.

Article. I don't agree with all of it (I merely dislike Kobe the person, for instance :D ), but it does make for entertaining reading.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

On the Pleasure of Hating Kobe Bryant

And the sadness of watching him exit the playoffs.

Article. I don't agree with all of it (I merely dislike Kobe the person, for instance :D ), but it does make for entertaining reading.

I find that my feelings about Kobe are frighteningly well-expressed in that article.

I dont hate Kobe at all. He has done a lot to break the typical stereotype of a black basketball player. As Shaq once said, the brother reads. But he also reminds me of a friend that I grew up with. He cannot stand to loose. He has to be in the spotlight. He cannot share the glory. And when things dont go well he cannot handle it. A lot of athletes are like this. That drive that pushes them to the top is the same drive that makes them conceited, arrogant and irritating. Kobe just happens to be more famous that many athletes that have the same personality.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I think part of my dislike of Kobe the person stems from those very fishy rape allegations, the adultery, his rudeness and two-face portrayal in Phil Jackson's book, and his arrogance.

I don't hate the guy, but he makes it difficult to like him :D .

On the court, he's fantastic, easily one of the most gifted basketball players ever.

The intense drive that propels him to be better on the court and to win is one of the things I admire about him, although his 2nd-half performance in Game 7 against the Suns was puzzling to me.

He's got numerous layers, and it's difficult to sum him up by simply saying, "Oh, he's arrogant" or he's this or that. Without actually knowing the guy, at a guess, he's probably a lot of all these things.

Very cool story! :thu:

Never saw Sam Cassell quite that way - he always appeared to be the journeyman role-player brought in to support the stars on any given team. We always heard about Hakeem in Houston, Kidd in NJ, Brand in LA, as the turnaround people - but never a word about old Sam - except when he always seemed to be dropping that heartbreaking 3 on someone...

Bet your bottom dollar that Cleveland makes some noise in free agency this offseason, because LeBron needs a better supporting cast than what he has right now.

Or, at least, if he's ever going to live up to his billing as the second coming of Larry Bird...

(Spoken by an old-school Celts fan - not a dig)

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Bet your bottom dollar that Cleveland makes some noise in free agency this offseason, because LeBron needs a better supporting cast than what he has right now.

Or, at least, if he's ever going to live up to his billing as the second coming of Larry Bird...

(Spoken by an old-school Celts fan - not a dig)

In a way, I wonder why the cavs aren't better than they are. Larry Hughes was a 20 pt scorer in Washington. Flip Murray can score. Drew Gooden has emerged as a solid, multidimensional power forward. Ilgauskus has always been good an never healthy, and I believe you can win with Eric Snow handling at least a share of the point guard duties.

I din't know anything about Mike Brown, so I can't pin it on him.

Well, in any case, they are playing in the second round of the playoffs, and the team that is humiliating them does happen to be the consensus best team in the league, playing with a chip on their broad shoulders 'cause of all the attnetion LeBron gets (did you hear Billups' great line about feeling like he's on the JV squad? I love Chauncy).

As far as augmenting LeBron with some other top line talent, yes, it's either that or a bleak sense of predetermined loss. Can Cleveland hold on to leBron no matter who they bring in? Is he not a natural fit for the coastal media centers (or Chicago)?

If the Knicks were not guaranteed to be dysfunctional for the next ten years because of cap mismanagement and the NBA's central repository of untradable contracts, you know LeBron would end up there.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

damn, I can't remember a Cav as popular as LBJ...

That's only because there is none.

I give LBJ another two years with the Cavs, maybe three, without a championship. This guy's gonna want some rings soon enough.

- Jeff

The trick is to find good talent that is not "too good", and personalities that are willing to work hard without being jealous of the attention Lebron gets. Lebron does seem to play a good team game, pass well and get teammates involved. It should not be hard to find players that want to join up and win a championship. A defensive big man, quick guard, and a couple players that can score big when getting open shots. Playing with him, they will get open shots.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

How's the Cav's owner?

Is he a young go getter type that really wants to win, and shares no ill feelings toward paying well in order to lure good talent? Or is he some old stingy miser who just looks to cash in on TV revenue from Lebron?

A guy like a Mark Cuban who understands the value of good talent, and will do what it takes to win would go a long way to speed up the 'Cavs to Championship' process.

TROLL . . . ish.

Celeveland lives and dies (dies mostly) with football and baseball. I don't think they'd noticed the Cavs for years uintil they won the lotto and grabbed the new Nike kid--a local boy.

They had a very, very good team in the '80s and early '90s, helmed by the great Mark Price and with Brad Daugherty and Hot Rod Williams up front. There are two reasons why we never heard more of that team:

A) Daughtery--the 4th best center of his generation behind Hakeem, the Admiral and Patrick--was NEVER healthy. When he he was, he was a legit star and the Cavs were a legit team.

B) just more Jordan roadkill. Pile 'em on top of the scorched corpses of Ewing, Barkley, Malone, etc., etc.

In any case, Grif, yo know what they say about the Patriots and Boston: The town is so red sox centric that when the Pats started fielding this historically good team, the city was like, "what do we do this?" Cleveland is gonna have to relearn the game.

I would just like to add that the '03 NBA draft will probably go down as THE greatest ever:

LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, and Bosh are already superstars (yes, Chris Bosh is superstar stuck in

TO),

but look at some of the other picks from the '03 first round:

Josh Howard! (How'd he do last night?)

Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa!

David West (check out that kids numbers this year!)

Kirk Hinrich (A future star, IMO)

Chris Kaman

T.J. Ford

Luke Ridnour

Mike Sweetney

Marcus Banks

Jarvis Hayes

...And even without Darko, this is the best draft ever.

I bring it up 'cause the Brad Daugherty draft has to be the worst ever: the first three picks were Len Bias, Brad Daugherty, and Chris Washburn.

Originally posted by meccajay:

How's the Cav's owner?

Is he a young go getter type that really wants to win, and shares no ill feelings toward paying well in order to lure good talent? Or is he some old stingy miser who just looks to cash in on TV revenue from Lebron?

A guy like a Mark Cuban who understands the value of good talent, and will do what it takes to win would go a long way to speed up the 'Cavs to Championship' process.

My take on Dan Gilbert it that he is like Mark Cuban, but with class.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by steadyb:

a 4-0-Suns sweep would help make the case that anyone could've beaten the Nuggets, and that the Lakers therefore would've won in the second round vs. the Clippers.

Too bad there ain't gonna be a 4-0 Suns sweep, huh? ;):D

Man...three out of four road teams managed to steal one of the first two. Cool... :thu:

Anybody else think it looks like Dallas is gonna take the Spurs out?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived