Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Keyboard Instrumentals

Blue JC

Lots of good suggestions here. I noticed however that nobody mentioned Donny Hathaway. Though he was a hell of a singer, he also did some amazing keyboard driven instrumental stuff like "Valdez in the Country" and "The Slums", with one of the funkiest bands ever assembled (including the fabulous Willy Weeks on bass). I'd also highly recommend that any player interested in one of the finest R&B/SOul/Jazz/Blues keys player, check out his live cut of "What's Goin' On".

Steve Nathan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Telstar

Wild Weekend

Tequila

The Lonely Bull

Walk Don't Run

Wipeout

Pipeline

Out of Limits

Theme from Lawrence of Arabia

A Swinging Safari

These are some of the intrumentals I play now and then. These are from the early to mid sixties, when intrumentals occasionally made the top ten.

Another source for intrumentals, mentioned by other posters, is TV show themes. I have TV show music books with the music from the old Superman TV show, Lone Ranger(William Tell Overture), Twilight Zone, Adams Familly, Bonanza, many others. You can pick up these on online sheet music stores or eBay.

I usually split my keyboard into zones (an 88 key Kawai MP9500), run through Kontakt soft sampler; Telstar is set up with rock organ in zone 3, guitar in zone 2, bass in zone 1, in zone 4 at the top of the keyboard a synthesizer patch - or I'll set piano, horns, etc. in various zones depending on the piece. One trick I sometimes use on some songs is to raise the zone I'm using for the main melody up an octave on the keyboard, (and down an octave in the settings, so it sounds right). That way, I can extend the accompliment intrument so it and the melody instrument ranges can overlap. This works best with songs where the melody centers between middle C and C above it. Songs centered higher, for example on the E an ocatve and a third above middle C usually don't need this.

We used to these ones. (more on the funky/ fusion side):

Chicken - Jaco Pastorius

Garden Party - Mezzoforte

Rio Funk - Lee Ritnour

Pick up the pieces - Avarage white band

Stratus - Billy Cobham

101 shuffle - Dave Weckl

Jake to the bone - Toto

Birdland - Weather Repport

A remark you made - Weather Repport

The "In" Crowd and Slippin' Into Darkness - Ramsey Lewis

Mr. Magic - Grover Washington

Put It Where You Want It - Crusaders

Footprints - Wayne Shorter

Spain - Chick Corea

Bubblehouse - Medeski, Martin and Wood

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Who recorded Cissy Strut?

John Scofield recorded a great version on Flat Out (with Don Grolnick on keyboards)

Originally posted by Steve Nathan:

Lots of good suggestions here. I noticed however that nobody mentioned Donny Hathaway. Though he was a hell of a singer, he also did some amazing keyboard driven instrumental stuff like "Valdez in the Country" and "The Slums", with one of the funkiest bands ever assembled (including the fabulous Willy Weeks on bass). I'd also highly recommend that any player interested in one of the finest R&B/SOul/Jazz/Blues keys player, check out his live cut of "What's Goin' On".

Steve Nathan

I love Donny's stuff. "Valdez..." has a lot in common with some of the BNH stuff. "The Slums" is just plain great stuff. For slicker intros, George Benson's "Breezin'" or Sonny Rollins "S:t Thomas" work great.

Dave Bryce,

Hawaii Five-O and Mission Impossible are definitely good TV theme songs, but respectfully, I'll have to stick with my original statement that Sanford & Son is the best. Everyone has different tastest, and the funk gets me every time. Quincy Jones is a genius.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

If you like Cissy Strut there's more good Meters stuff:

- Funky Miracle

- Look Ka Py Py

- 9 to 5

& The JBs (James Brown's backing band):

- Pass the Peas

- Soul Power

the theme from the Flintstones is also a scream if you push the tempo.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by niacin:

the theme from the Flintstones is also a scream if you push the tempo.

I forgot about the Flintstones theme. Thanks for mentioning it. You're right - it's a lot of fun to play really fast with a jazzy swing groove.

I never really considered all of these TV and movie themes but they are great ideas for this purpose: recognizable melodies that are fun to play.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Best,

JC

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

Wow!..... excellent suggestions, guys! :thu:

With keys, and a decent ROTB (Rest Of The Band ;) ),

there's a boatload of stuff you can whip out.

Many R&B standards make punchy, danceable instrumentals.

Ray Charles - I've Got a Woman, Hallelujah I Love Her So , etc.

Sly and JB offer a buncha themes you can dig in on (and on...)

Freddie King had a whack of 'em along the lines of Hideaway.

BookerT & the MGs were masters at

distilling a popular tune down to its kickin' and tasteful essence.

Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl

or timeless grooves like:

Night Train

Swingin' Shepherd Blues

Honky Tonk, Part 1 & 2

Saxophonists offer lotsa goodies:

Joe Houston - All Night Long

Cannonball - Sack 'o Woe

Mar-Keys - Last Night, Philly Dog, Honey Pot

Junior Walker - Shotgun, Cleo's Mood, Cleo's Back

King Curtis - Soul Twist, and the ultimate: Memphis Soul Stew

the chicken by jaco - good call, love that tune.

Can't believe no one suggested this one yet: a great tune BASED around the piano, that EVERYONE knows - Linus and Lucy!!! (The theme from Peanuts, by Vince Guaraldi) that gets a response EVERYtime, especially if played with a band.

Less likely, but also popular (i think...) "On Broadway", i forget who it's by (probably someone who i'd be embarassed to forget...), but it's a good little piano ditty.

Seriously though - Linus and Lucy. It's a CLASSIC.

If you like Vince's music, you should check out George Winston's "music of Linus and Lucy" - it's a whole bunch of Vince's compositions on solo piano. VERY good.

"wherever you go, there you are"

"If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why bother practicing??"

How about some Henry Mancini if you're looking for some smooth stuff ... "Moon River" was already mentioned ... or "Pink Panther", "Theme From Romeo and Juliet" ... Also, Ennio Morricone: "Theme From Once Upon a Time in The West", "Good The Bad and The Ugly". Burt Bacharach's "This Guy's In Love With You" ... For good full band piano boogie, check out Nicky Hopkins' "Pig's Boogie" from his album "The Tin Man Was A Dreamer" (admittedly hard to find ..), or Billy Joel's "Root Beer Rag". For 20's-style piano & band boogie check out any of Mrs. Smith's instrumental interpretations (her "Chicago" really kicks ...).

Ciao,

Rick

Linus-n-Lucy (aka The Peanuts Theme) always gets a reaction. If you have the George Winston CD of Vince's stuff, Eighty-Five-Five gets a good reaction for its swampy New Orleans feel.

Scott Joplin is great too, esp Maple Leaf Rag and Pine Apple Rag.

One time I pulled Music Box Dancer (remember THAT one?) out of the blue. I occasionally pull out The Pink Panther, and the band joins me on it.

Originally posted by stepay:

Hawaii Five-O and Mission Impossible are definitely good TV theme songs, but respectfully, I'll have to stick with my original statement that Sanford & Son is the best. Everyone has different tastest, and the funk gets me every time. Quincy Jones is a genius.

But of course.

I was just havin' fun...everyone has different tastes, and nobody's wrong for liking what they like.

Heck, I know people who think the theme to Dallas is the best TV theme ever... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I love 'Valdez' - 'The Ghetto' and 'Everything is Everything' from Donny Live are also fantastic.

There's a Jamaican rock steady version of 'Hang 'em High' by Richard Ace which is that little bit different and goes down very well.

Jimmy McGriff's 'Doggone' from the 'Starting Five' album is also a killer - the left hand groove is perfectly sleazy. The original has a guitarist doing the head but you can do it on a Hammond and it sounds just as good if not better.

Archived