Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Book Info?

B.T.

I know most of the veterans here are familiar with certain books on jazz instruction so I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with one that even Mark Levine endorses entitled "Jazz Keyboard Harmony" by Phil DeGreg published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz? Just curious if anyone has this or knows of it and what they think. Thanks in advance for any info.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own this book, and it's very good. Starts out very simply, and gradually works you up to more complex voicings in a way that makes sense. I used it when I was starting out, and I still use it occasionally as a reference. It has somewhat of a narrower scope than Levine's "Jazz Piano Book," and doesn't contain all the musical examples that Levine has. DeGreg's book is more focused and direct, and I would recommend it over Levine for learning purposes. Once you have a handle on voicings from DeGreg, I think you'll be able to get more out of Levine's book.

FYI, Phil DeGreg is a monster player, and one hell of nice guy. If you're ever in Cinci, he's the guy to see.

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

I own this book, and it's very good. Starts out very simply, and gradually works you up to more complex voicings in a way that makes sense. I used it when I was starting out, and I still use it occasionally as a reference. It has somewhat of a narrower scope than Levine's "Jazz Piano Book," and doesn't contain all the musical examples that Levine has. DeGreg's book is more focused and direct, and I would recommend it over Levine for learning purposes. Once you have a handle on voicings from DeGreg, I think you'll be able to get more out of Levine's book.

FYI, Phil DeGreg is a monster player, and one hell of nice guy. If you're ever in Cinci, he's the guy to see.

Great response - I totally agree. My band did a company Christmas party years ago and Phil played piano for cocktail hour while we were setting up. He ate dinner with us and we talked in depth about the scope and objective of his book versus Levine's. He's one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and simply a stunning player...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Another book you might be interested in is "Jazz Piano Voicing Skills" by Dan Hearle. Similar to DeGreg's book, but with a few different twists. A good place to start for some basic jazz paino skills, which will be useful for your entire career as a player.

Also, Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory" book covers more territory than his piano book, but for all instruments. Great info. Most of these books can be found at jazzbooks.com, which is Abersold's site, just in case you didn't know. There's so many books that I could recommend to you from there.

Urbanaut

On the scope of the two books in question.

Mark Levine's book looks at jazz paino with history and explanation in mind. He balances information concerning history, construction, and execution of jazz piano skills, not limited to just voicings, but all major aspects of playing, like soloing, comping, solo paino, etc...

Phil's book is simply about jazz voicings, and every voicing in every key is written out, going through different cycles, like ii-v's, sequential dominants, sequential diminished, etc... giving you exect physical skills to practice.

Levine's book will tell you how and why those voicings are created, and how they work, along with some historical context.A very good combination to start out with, as well as the Hearle book I mentioned in my last post. I hope my opinions are of use.

Urbanaut

Archived