Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginner's books

whurly

I have been trying to encourage my nieces and nephew to learn keyboards. Recently I've given one lot a Casio keyboard and the other a Hammond L-100. A bit uneven I know but I now want to give them some basic instructional material for Christmas. Any ideas?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old are your nieces and nephew? Quite an important bit of info to know. There are different method books that cater to different age groups.

Of course, getting them lessons from a teacher is the most effective way for them to learn. If they are all about the same age, then group lessons are very cost effective, and they usually end up being more fun for the student because it's more of a social atmosphere. Although I know some talented musicians who are "self-taught," it's a rare kid who has the patience and will-power to learn from an instructional book with without the motivation and guidance provided by a teacher.

Consider buying them some lessons. The physical nature of proper playing technique is impossible to get from books and it's best they learn properly from the start. Just my opinion of course, but if you do a search in the forum you'll find it expressed by others.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Thanks folks. Ah, John Thompson and Leila Fletcher, that takes me back to a very dim and distant past. I think the parents want see a bit of demonstrated interest before they fork out for lessons, so after reading your replies I'm going to give them a few lessons myself. That still leaves the question of what to get them for Christmas. Maybe a guitar...

Archived