Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Lennon: 12-08-1980

ELP71

Seminal moment in music and pop culture history - Howard Cosell goes against his producer's wishes and announces to the world that John Lennon had been shot dead:

Howard Cosell Speaks

Twenty-five years ago today. Unbelievable...I remember the next morning like it was yesterday.

The classic shot:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/821465.jpg

Trying to be Brian Wilson:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhistory/journey/stars/beatles/houses/lennon.jpg

The missing boys:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2001/11/30/harrisonlennon.jpg

Howard:

http://www.brownsteins.net/Images/howard-cosell.jpg

http://www.ukuke.co.uk/John%20Lennon.gif

John Lennon

1940 - 1980

You are missed!

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The evening shift was hoisting a few at the local watering hole, celebrating one of the nurses' announcement of pregnancy and engagement. The tube hanging behind the bar had Monday Night footbal on, but no one was paying any attention to it. And then there was Howard suddenly sounding morose, dismissing the action on the field as "only a game". Everyone in the joint went quiet, knowing something important was up.

Got to remember to call some local stations to play "And so this is Christmas."

One of those life altering memories.

I remember sitting there with my dad watching the game. He felt no emotion one way or another about it. I remember the feeling that then end of an era was soon coming.

Kennedy being shot and Neil Armstrong walking on the moon were the only two other moments which impacted me so deeply at the time.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

...I remember going to work the next day and being one of the few that honestly gave a damn about the events the night before.

Funny how you remember things like that, but aside from the initial shock of the nature of his death, the disinterest of otherwise "good people" still puzzles me...

We will not waiver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail!

George W. Bush

I was only 10 years old at the time, but it is also burned into my brain, since my parents were very impacted by this.

It does seem like yesterday - I can't believe it has been 25 years.

Regards,

Eric

Listened to some classic 'John' Beatles tracks this morning:

If I Fell

I'll Cry Instead

I Call Your Name

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

And Your Bird Can Sing

I'm Only Sleeping

Strawberry Fields Forever

A Day In The Life

Across the Universe

Glass Onion

Julia

I'm So Tired

...and my favorite of all-time:

Dear Prudence

No, I didn't listen to 'Imagine'.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

This is why I started doing music. I mean, I had been playing most of my life, trombone mostly, but had no real passion for it. After Lennon was murdered, radios played nothing but Beatles music. More 60's retrospective music followed. I never really heard (or listened) to any of it before, and got interested. I sat down at a piano and started plunking out some Beatles tunes. Then moved to the Who. Then started listening to old Genesis.

The impact on me of John lennon's death wasn't immediate, but it changed my life.

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Originally posted by Jeff Irok:

This is why I started doing music...The impact on me of John Lennons death wasn't immediate, but it changed my life.

I guess I can say the same: You guys can blame the Beatles for the pain of having to read my postings here.

It all started when I was a kid. My elder sister used to listen to the White Album, and I was curious about the melodies. Then when I was 10 I bought the famous red and blue double-LP albums (62/66 and 67/70) and was deep into it right away. I used to hum the melodies. Then I bought the other LPs and they had no lyrics on them, so I started scribbling whatever I was trying to sing and have my mom (which had a good English back then) correct them for me. Mind you, I had no notion of English, and she had plenty of laughter provided by her unembarrassed son...

Then I was 15 and started to mess with the acoustic guitar that everybody had at home. One day it stroke me that I could as well unite both things, and found myself picking up the chords for my first Beatles tune.

Then the contact with the language afforded me information on other countries and cultures, and off I was (starting at 25) to see the world - actually 26 countries.

Over time my English improved, boosted my professional life handsomely, I ended up singing in bands and...playing keyboards.

All along my enthusiasm for the fab four and their solo careers never wavered, and Lennon has always been there.

To put it mildly, if I die today I have a couple of handshakes scheduled for delivery up above ;) ...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived