Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free software suggestions

Loufrance

I would like some suggestions for free music software, I need a Midi sequencer, a sheet music program(I currently use Finale notepad, is there anything better out there?) I've tried using buzz studios for V.s.t's (nothing to do with tanks, Pack)

but noticed it was too dificult to use/crash prone.

My drum machine was hammerhead but thats not very flexible. I also need something to learn synthesis/programming on. :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignore what the guy above said. All you gotta do is go grab a copy of Computer Music, and they give you a bunch of sotware to use, not to mention pointing you in the direction of good, free stuff. That's enough to get you started. Dunno about the sheet music program, but I'm sure there's something out there.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Not that I condone this sort of thing (wink), but everything is "free" these days with the internet. If you were so inclined, I'm sure you could find top-of-the-line programs available through any of the various file sharing programs.

So you're why this stufff costs so much and why I need to go buy a new iLok this week. Can I send you a copy of my receipt and get a reimbursement?

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

So you're why this stufff costs so much and why I need to go buy a new iLok this week. Can I send you a copy of my receipt and get a reimbursement?
Clearly I should have made it more obvious that I was being facetious. A guy looking for free programs...file-sharing being such an issue.....anyone?

Maybe I should have put one of these at the end of my post: ;)

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Clearly I should have made it more obvious that I was being facetious. A guy looking for free programs...file-sharing being such an issue.....anyone?

Maybe I should have put one of these at the end of my post: ;)

I'll admit I bristled at your post as well, Bridog... but you have to expect that when you (even facetiously) suggest piracy in a forum where a large portion of the members are either songwriters or are otherwise involved in a career involving remuneration based on creativity. We have representation here from a number of software vendors, sample library creators, and other intellectual property owners who would also be very non-plussed by your post. We're fighting an uphill battle as it is... :(

Also, it was unclear as to whether you were being facetious or not. I assumed that you were, in fact, being serious about your suggestion based on the "(wink)". :(

SG

Head on over to kvr-vst.com. There you will find a lot of reviews and links to download free, non-pirated, or non-commercial VST synths- and I think there are some drum emulations, also. Some are pretty good, some are one-trick instruments, some are crappy -- you'll have to try 'em and decide. That will at least help you with learning synthesis.

As for a midi sequencer, I think you should avoid using "cracked" versions. In addition to the moral issue, I am told they can have timing issues and instability issues.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

For recording programs you can download a free version of n-tracks.com . For $49 US you can have the full blown version. I find it very user friendly and it does all I need it to do.

As for a sheet music program. Google is your friend. I found www.lilypond.org for a free one as well as Finale note pad.

www.simusic.com for $20 US but I don't think it does everything you might want.

www.musictech.com for $99 US

www.sibelius.com Guitar G7 for $120 US will do many things. You can scan in lead sheets change keys and print as lead sheets or that silly guitar tab mess. You can write music in or play it in. This is the one I am buying soon.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by aliengroover:

All you gotta do is go grab a copy of Computer Music, and they give you a bunch of software to use, not to mention pointing you in the direction of good, free stuff.

+1

Their programs are surprisingly good...and they usually have tutorials monthly. Excellent magazine. Find it at Borders.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

It's now kvraudio.com . Same great site, just a different URL.

n-Track, at ntrack.com is also a great program, but it's not the best MIDI editor and may not be the best choice if you're not doing audio as well as MIDI. Worth a try, though. (I use it extensively for audio and MIDI -- it's a full-featured digital audio workstation and well worth the $50 to get rid of the nag screens.)

It's certainly the best site I've seen for finding VST's and such.

Bridog, sorry about my reaction if you were being facetious. The presence and position of your wink was indeed the reason I thought you were actually suggesting that as a course of action.

Lots of talk about Bridog's wink. I'm not so sure I want to see where this conversation ends up... :)

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

Originally posted by Loufrance:

I would like some suggestions for free music software, I need a Midi sequencer, a sheet music program(I currently use Finale notepad, is there anything better out there?) I've tried using buzz studios for V.s.t's (nothing to do with tanks, Pack)

but noticed it was too dificult to use/crash prone.

My drum machine was hammerhead but thats not very flexible. I also need something to learn synthesis/programming on. :)

You can use lilypond for sheet music, and although it is more capable you may find that it is more difficult to use than Finale.

There are few free alternatives because the market is small.

Originally posted by aliengroover:

Ignore what the guy above said. All you gotta do is go grab a copy of Computer Music, and they give you a bunch of sotware to use, not to mention pointing you in the direction of good, free stuff. That's enough to get you started. Dunno about the sheet music program, but I'm sure there's something out there.

Peace

The website for Computer Music has an article for freeware that may be of some interest to you....

Hope it helps. :thu:

:cool: Peace :cool:

Michael

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Lou, if you're in the US, Borders Books and Barnes & Noble both carry CM. Most issues have their entire suite (sequencer, sampler, drumbox, synth) on the free attached DVD. $15 a pop or so for the issue, which usually has some good articles and reviews.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived