Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis qs

part1sts

Now I have a qs7.1 and dont think it sounds that good.. It is alright for what it is. Other people seem to hear differently than I do. Everytime I read a general review, it has very high scores. Does the qs have possibilities that I have not been able to explore? For example, I was thinking about getting a micron for a synthesizer and using the 7.1 as a controller. Does the qs have a possibility to cover my synth needs? If there is anyone who is experienced with the qs, please give me some advice. My other thought has been to sell it. Thank you/
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 7.1 that I gig with all the time. I use it as my third board for general purpose sounds. I have a dedicated piano and organ to cover the meat and potatoes stuff. I use the QS for Mellotron sounds (which I feel it does very well), some Emerson like Saw solo sounds, and I have the Classical card which has some nice string and orchestra sounds.

I would not recommend it as a primary board although it has some decent Rhodes and Organ patches to survive in a pinch.

I only paid $300 for mine a while back (with the Classical card included) and I feel I more than got my money's worth out of it.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by part1sts:

Now I have a qs7.1 and dont think it sounds that good.. It is alright for what it is. Other people seem to hear differently than I do. Everytime I read a general review, it has very high scores. Does the qs have possibilities that I have not been able to explore? For example, I was thinking about getting a micron for a synthesizer and using the 7.1 as a controller. Does the qs have a possibility to cover my synth needs? If there is anyone who is experienced with the qs, please give me some advice. My other thought has been to sell it. Thank you/

The biggest limitation (and its a big one) for synth sounds is lack of a resonant filter.

For that amount of money you are going to be pushed to find a board that can do as much as well, even used. However if it doesn't meet your needs then its no bargain.

I use a 7.1 and 2 QSRs in my setup. One of the QSRs goes on stage with me every week, and I use it all the time. For a few dollars more than the Micron you could add an Ion, and get all kinds of killer sounds. I was thinking of adding one, but will probably sell a few of my boards and get a Triton Extreme 76. I need an upgrade sonically, and this seems the best way "for me" to go. I plan to continue to use at least one of the QSRs for quite some time.

Like Byrdman said, if it doesn't work for you, it isn't a bargain, whatever the price. If you can find some of the other cards, especially the vintage cards (Synths and Keyboards), they may fill the gap you are finding. Just a thought.

Jay

What were you hoping for out of the QS? $400 for a reasonable sounding 76 key rompler with killer master controller/MIDI capabilities/splits, combos, etc. is a steal!

Many of the reviews you may have read, may be from when the QS first came out when people rated the sounds 9s and 10s. Now, realist snobs consider them to be dated, but they're not. Its how you use a sound that dates it.

The Micron will increase your control over synth sounds, but the QS does have some decent sounds built in as stock, and the Vintage Synths card contains tons more. Its considered by many as the best of the QCards.

For the record, the Micron has everything the Ion has, PLUS some sequencing capabilities. The thing the Micron lacks is the real time knob controllers. Yes the 7.1 could control the Micron - you could even rig things up so that you could use the 5 realtime controllers on the Micron and the 6 from the QS to have 11 different ways to alter a patch in realtime. This would approach ION flexibility.

part1sts:

you could definitely use a micron. you can use it as a module and control it from your qs, or place it above and use its own keys.

yes, it's got about 20 varieties of resonant filters.

your qs is capable of sending release velocity and the micron is capable of responding to it.

it would make a nice combo and would cover about anything you may need to do.

Ditto. If you do like your QS and the only real lack you feel is for synth sounds, the Micron should be your ticket. It's small, cheap, very effective and incredibly versatile. For the record, I control mine from another board and can tell you that it works just fine.

Of course you could also choose to shoot higher (and stick with Alesis gear) by going for the new Fusion instead of adding a Micron to your setup. That's about twice the price of a QS+Micron rig, but is supposed to offer you much more power...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

I played a fusion and was dissapointed with the feel and the presets... Now I know that it is very customizable and so on and so forth, but i would rather get a micron, use it along with my qs and get another board for only pianos ep's and organs.... Oh man that would be better than.. uhum,uhum..thank you.
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

I have a QS6 with two cards. I think it is real cool. A lot of the comps we produce here have that instrument on it. A lot of the time I have the split keyboard for bass and the keys that I work at tye same time. I like it.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived