Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IVORY Version 1.5

deranged

I just installed my upgrade for IVORY, taking the risk of one, having it put even more demand on my CPU, and second, that it wasn't going to be that much better than the first version, which was pretty damn good. Also, was it going to be worth the $40 dollars plus S/H since I bought the first version before April'05. The upgrade is free if purchased after that I believe. Well, my CPU seems to be running exactly the same as it did for version 1.0, and the added samples, now 10 over the previous 8 for each note on the high end work-horse sounds, really make a difference. As well as new piano sounds, etc. The Bosendorfer on version 1.0 I found rather dull and dampened on the mid-range, as if they'd sampled a new piano with new hammers and not a piano that had been played for a while. Version 1.5 has improved the Bosendorfer sound, offering brighter samples, and new variations of effects, etc. It's still not as great as I'd hoped, but it is workable and certainly acceptable. But as with all samples and synths I find my ear changes it's likes and dislikes of even accepted sounds, as I think the samples themselves vary some the longer my CPU runs, so to each his or her own ear and CPU. Sometimes I reboot just to be sure. My favorite piano sample on version 1.0 was the "German D Concert 8", which is the Steinway D. It was the truest and the most impressive of all the sounds. I thought it would certainly remain unchanged, as it was that good, but version 1.5 offers "German Concert D 10", and it is absolutely brilliant. The "Studio" or Yamaha sounds have also improved and offer more choices. I have played IVORY for some time now and version 1.5 is like finding yet another, and even larger room in a toystore. Charlie

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm interested in learning a little more about VST piano plug-ins, and Ivory seems to be among the most frequently commented on (err, is it a VST :confused: ? what exactly is a VST after all?). I could ask the obvious question of "how does it compare to the best ROMpler piano sounds out there", but am sure there must have been a thread addressing this.

Can someone be so kind as to direct me to it? Or perhaps suggest headings for a search on the web?

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by linwood:

I've had my update for two weeks now, but I need to get another drive to install it. Maybe this weekend..

Just got my G5 back with a new SATA drive in it just for Ivory (and one or two other instruments). Finally installed the 1.5 version I've been sitting on for a few weeks. Wow...what a difference on the Bosendorfer - that was the one of the three that I liked the least in the 1.0 version (I thought the Steinway was the best), but now I think the Bosie is the one I'll use the most . Lots of depth, dynamics and smoothness - much better bass than the old version, IMO.

Ivory rocks... :cool::thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I initially installed IVORY 1.0 on my old G4 iMac with 800GHz, and when I tried running it at full load (the top quality piano sounds, at that time 8 velosity samples per note) I could barely play two or three notes before the CPU gave in and the monitor red lined and the sound cracked and popped into silence. I formated IVORY and my CPU to perform better with less velosity samples, etc, but it didn't give me the quality piano reproduction I was undoubtedly looking for. I ended up with a thinner sound, and even then it still red lined constantly. I'm now running IVORY on the iMac G5 with 2GHz, and I maxed it out to 2 gigs of RAM, and it has run smoothly. It does flash "Slow Disk" occasionally, but the CPU meter never indicates that it's not handling the program. IVORY demands a lot. The manual for version 1.5 says the minimum is 1GB RAM, but recommends 2 for optimum performance. Give it all you got.

I'm running 1.5 on an older machine - a dual 1GHz G4 with only 1GB of RAM, and set to about 100 voices, it flashes "slow disk" when I really dig in, but I can;t hear any problems. In fact, I have to do intentionally non-musical, torture-testy things to it to actually choke it. I have all the samples on a separate, but internal ATA/100 drive, not even a SATA type.

Just my $0.02. YMMV

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived