Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mackie SRM450 volume control

zoomer

I am seriously considering purchasing a Mackie SRM450. I played in the store a Roland 700sx thru a Mackie 350, and was greatly impressed. Thanks to all on this board for this information.

2 Questions:

I want to use the Mackie primarily as a personal monitor, using the Keyboard's balanced Left XLR out to go thru the Mackie, then to the PA board. Is there a way of controlling the Mackie's volume other than with its hard to reach volume control? Perhaps a unit with two outs in series so one goes to the Mackie, the other to the PA board, with a volume control on at least one? I'm not super-technical, so such a unit might be available, but I am unaware of it.

Then, when the guitar players crank up halfway thru the night, I can increase the volume of the Mackie, but not the PA, without leaving the keyboard.

Second, is anyone (hopefully Mackie) coming out anytime soon with a keyboard amp that performs like a Mackie 350 or 450, but has a few more amp-type features such as easy to reach controls, etc.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a rolls mixer with one out going to my monitor and another to the house so I can turn myself up in the monitor easilly.

The two connectors are just a daisy-chain - the volumne control does not change the volume level to the daisy chainee.

The SRM-450 is a killer keyboard monitor, but it has some weak points.

Placement is critical - you cannot lay it on it's side - for some reason the heat doesn't dissipate and it goes into thermal overload. Mackie may have addressed this....

A mixer (Rolls or Mackie or whatever) is critical. Get a decent one that has good headroom. I found the little mini-mixers and passive mixers didn't work well, but a mackie 1202 did.

The SRM is execellent at producing clean sounds (like piano or big fat synths), but doesn't do as well with distored sounds - your mileage may vary.

It can get VERY loud - I swear it made my teeth hurt.

Other options include a pair of 12" amps (Roland) or a (gasp) Peavey KB-300.

Originally posted by The Captain:

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec here, but what is it with country-music players and Peavey? :rolleyes:

I never liked Peavey equipment - always thought it was cheap compared to other brands. Some say its 'bang for the buck' quotient is high. OK.

Many of these players could certainly buy better gear, but they stick with Peavey. Why IS that?

Perhaps Peavey is better than I give it credit for. If so, they need to get the word out.

Do they sell Peavey at Wal-Mart? :rolleyes:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I have used various Peavey equipment over the years. I have a Peavey head that gives me solid, clean, reliable power. I have been using that thing consistently for nearly 20 years now. Until I bought my KBR3d, I used that head to power my keyboard speakers. I can't tell you how many beers have been dumped down the back of it and it still works without fail. In fact, we now use that very same head for practice every week. Works great!

Years ago (about 15), I had a Peavey keyboard amp (with the black widow in it). Although heavier than hell, I thought it had very decent sound with plenty of power.

I haven't experienced much of there more recent stuff, but, based on the word on the street, their stuff doesn't suck....esp. for the price.

Amen, Gas -

I'm so with you on all this...

But, try a KB-300 in a live situation and see if you like it.

I used them multiple times and came away reluctantly liking it (but I didn't want to...)

Kinda like riding a moped...

Still, these are a total beast to lug around.

Yes, Gentlemen, I will freely admit that I could be wrong on my assumption. This is why I ask the question. :)

I don't mean to come off as a gear snob, but there's some equipment that I won't even consider. Peavey falls under this heading. I'd mention the others, but then I really WOULD sound like a snob. Besides, they've already been mentioned on this forum once or, Idunno, a THOUSAND times.

I'll try to keep my comments on the positive side.

...oh, what fun would that be? :freak:;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I don't know from Peavey heads, or their PA cabs, or their keyboard amps, but some of their tubed guitar amps are about the best I've come across. They just work, and the sound I'm getting is incredible. I've never, ever, heard anyone say a bad word about the Peavey tweed tube combos, guitar player or keyboard player -- I'm not sure about the newer models. This is an absolute first negative report for me. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by zoomer:

What is a Rolls mixer? Is that a brand name?

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/7/6/282576.jpg

Google is your friend. :)

CLONK HERE

That's the one - only the knobs are in different positions. :(

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec here, but what is it with country-music players and Peavey? :rolleyes:

I think they grew up hearing that particular sound and want it for themselves.

Their PAs do leave something to be desited in my view, but then there's plenty of PA gear that people use that doesn't sound any better (just different)

I think the most important thing is intermodulation distortion. That's what gives a bad PA its distinctive sound - makes everything sound like its going through the ring modulator of a VCS3 (though not nearly as wet of course).

Originally posted by Byrdman:

I think the most important thing is intermodulation distortion. That's what gives a bad PA its distinctive sound - makes everything sound like its going through the ring modulator of a VCS3 (though not nearly as wet of course). [/QB]

Very true about IM distortion. But I think the average PV buyer doesn't care so much about these sorts of things. Their stuff works, it can get relatively loud and most importantly its affordable.

They also make a huge range of products and its hard to generalize about them all. I must confess to using a Peavey VCL2 (stereo tube comp/limiter) in my studio and I love it. Its made by their Audio Media Research division. Beautifully made and though not cheap, great bang for the buck.

FWIW I also noticed that Sweetwater recently signed on as a dealer.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Why can't you reach behind the powered speaker and turn it up between a song if you need to?

Also, why can't you increase your keyboard volume if the guitars do it? Who cares about the PA, I wouldn't?

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I never liked Peavey equipment - always thought it was cheap compared to other brands. Some say its 'bang for the buck' quotient is high. OK.

Many of these players could certainly buy better gear, but they stick with Peavey. Why IS that?

Perhaps Peavey is better than I give it credit for. If so, they need to get the word out.

Do they sell Peavey at Wal-Mart? :rolleyes:;)

This is just my opinion, but I (hazily) remember when I first heard about Peavey equipment, they had a reputation for actually caring about the musicians using their equipment. They made their equipment durable, it was inexpensive, and it had a LIFETIME GUARANTEE. Also, they were based in Georgia (IIRC).

acctjm

Originally posted by jimmymio:

Originally posted by acctjm:

Also, they were based in Georgia (IIRC).

Make that Mississippi. Meridian, I believe.

JP

:eek: Georgia, Mississippi... it's all the same down there in the south, isn't it?

Just a bunch of IQ-challenged inbred hicks. :wave::P

Originally posted by Jazz+:

Why can't you reach behind the powered speaker and turn it up between a song if you need to?

Also, why can't you increase your keyboard volume if the guitars do it? Who cares about the PA, I wouldn't?

The way the volume contol on the Mackie is situated makes it almost unreachable in certain stage settings, so I want an easy-to-use monitor volume control that can quickly be accessed, even while playing, from the keyboard.

Furthermore, I care a lot about the PA mains. From the stage I have no idea what the PA levels are, so increasing my input to them simply to increase my monitor volume is not ok. Sometimes the guitars seem to be too loud, but the room mix is such that everything, including the piano, is heard just fine. Arbitrarily increasing my total volume instead of just my monitor volume would thus upset the entire mix, and be unprofessional.

If nobody is controlling or mixing the PA, then how do you know you are not too soft in the PA? And if the guitars are turning up why shouldn't you turn up in the PA too? Keys are almost always too soft in the PA mix.

I had a pair of Mackie SRM450s for three years and I don't think it is that impossible to reach their volume controls.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived