Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage - piano MP3 demos

WestHarp

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! The Yamaha sounds fuller compared with the Steinway, which seems a bit thinner and metallic.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Sounds good. Perhaps these new pianos do trump the Roland RD-700SX and the Yamaha S90ES piano sounds? For live playing it will depend a lot on the quality of the speakers and the style of music played. These new Nord pianos sound dark to me and with room ambience (recorded at a slight distance). I suspect that when played live these Nord pianos will need very good speakers to help maintain their clarity, otherwise they may sound muddy and cluttered.

You can compare the Nord Stage pianos demos with other digital pianos that play the same midi file at Busch's Piano Shootout: http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It would be great if someone would send me an MP3 from the S90ES. I'll add the RD700SX and the SRX11 board in the Fantom XR (which I own). And hopefully I'll get working copy of the Nord Stage soon. How about the OASYS? I know a few people have them.

Send them via the site and I'll get them posted ASAP.

Thanks.

Busch.

Man - there's a lot of sustain pedal in that MIDI file. You'd think for a shootout they'd prepare something with a little more variety in the dynamics and pedaling.

Still, the Stage sounds good - can't wait to get mine.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I have confirmed that the piano samples are licensed from sampletekk makers of the white grand, dark grand, rain piano, vertikal upright etc..They are obviously much smaller versions to fit in RAM but they do sound good. I was impressed with the stereo piano sound running mono thru a kt 80. If they are too dark the on board eq of the stage works really well (much better than the electro).

Originally posted by kevank:

Man - there's a lot of sustain pedal in that MIDI file. You'd think for a shootout they'd prepare something with a little more variety in the dynamics and pedaling.

Still, the Stage sounds good - can't wait to get mine.

You're right. If I had it to do over I would have done that and more. I created it at a time when the Giga pianos were first coming out and for the first time we had pedal down samples. Also, a continuing area of weakness in hardware based pianos is the fact that they loop the note after a second or two, in which case you either hear the loop or they apply a rapid decay envelope to mask it. So the sustain passages are there for that reason. The begining has a scale run with pedal down. If you hear it without notes cutting out, you shouldn't have any polyphony problems. I mainly wanted people to be able to listen a standard MP3 and determine for themselves if it sounds convincing, i.e. does it sound like a recording of someone playing a real piano. The "composition" is really just an improvisation.

It's one of those things that was done a long time ago and it is what it is.

Busch.

Originally posted by c4:

I have confirmed that the piano samples are licensed from sampletekk makers of the white grand, dark grand, rain piano, vertikal upright etc..They are obviously much smaller versions to fit in RAM but they do sound good. I was impressed with the stereo piano sound running mono thru a kt 80. If they are too dark the on board eq of the stage works really well (much better than the electro).

This is very good news. I suggested early on that they hook up with Post or someone similar. Per (SampleTek) has created some of the best of the "Giga" piano libraries available.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

[You're right. If I had it to do over I would have done that and more. I created it at a time when the Giga pianos were first coming out and for the first time we had pedal down samples. Also, a continuing area of weakness in hardware based pianos is the fact that they loop the note after a second or two, in which case you either hear the loop or they apply a rapid decay envelope to mask it. So the sustain passages are there for that reason. The begining has a scale run with pedal down. If you hear it without notes cutting out, you shouldn't have any polyphony problems. I mainly wanted people to be able to listen a standard MP3 and determine for themselves if it sounds convincing, i.e. does it sound like a recording of someone playing a real piano. The "composition" is really just an improvisation.

It's one of those things that was done a long time ago and it is what it is.

Busch.

Thanks for the explanation - makes sense.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived