Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

External Sound Modules

Howdy all,

Looking for some advice on some sound mods. I'm using a JV-1000 now, which I'm using a M-Audio 88 to control,and I'm looking for a sound module for my AX-1. All I really need on it is a good lead synth (for metal) and strong strings, strings are essential. I've checked out a few, but nothing I'm that into. Let me know whatcha like. Oh, and I'm trying to have it by my band's next show on the 29th, so I'm trying to keep it under $500.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amognst the VA's, check out the Yamaha AN200 and the Nord MicroModular. The Yammie is five voice. The Nord is primarily monophonic, though with a little coaxing you could get 3-4 simple strin voices out of it. I imagine they each go for about $150 on Ebay. With the Nord you will probably need some EFX processing, with the AN you won't.

Also in the $500 range I should mention the DSI evolver monophonic analog. All of these instruments will require some setup time on your part. The nord the most, the Yammie the least IMO.

For ease of setup, you could get one of the used romplers from Korg or Yamaha since you have a Roland. But I think a VA/A will add more character to your rig than a rompler will. Best,

Jerry

PS: If you don't mind adding another keyboard, consider the Alesis Micron. Lovely sounds ready to go.

Actually, haven't heard of the Access Virus. I'll have to give it a look and a listen. Trying to mainly deal with gear that I can play with before buying, but sound samples would work I suppose.

I'll be checking out the Yamaha AN200 and the Alesis Micron shortly as well. For some reason, Nord sound has never really clicked with me, so I'll start with those two.

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

If you are covering string parts then you need at least 4 voice polyphony. That knocks out the Nord MicroModular and Evolver. Strongly consider a Nord Lead or Nord Lead 2. Even if Nord does not click with you, it will cut through on stage and that is important if you are playing metal. Other rack units in that price range are Novation KSR and Korg MS2000R. You might be able to find a Virus B tabletop in that price range.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I bought a Yamaha An1x off of Ebay for under $300!! It's a 10 voice polyphonic VA... and there are a ton of free voices on the web... and it's almost as small and as light as a module... :D

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Archived