Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice: Where to put monitor speakers for digital piano

konaboy

I have a Yamaha P80 which doesn't have inbuilt speakers.

Therefore I am toying with the idea of buying some monitor loundspeakers.

I am unsure how to position or mount the speakers. I would very much like to have them on the piano, to simulate the effect of inbuilt speakers, after all the sound should be coming from the piano.

However the P80, &P90 are very shallow keyboards and I don't see how I can balance some speakers on them. I can't put a shelf on the wall either as my piano is in front of a window.

I suppose I could get some speaker stands but I'm not too keen on the idea as it takes up some extra floor space.

How about a sub/satellite speaker system? There should be space on top of the piano for some small satellites, and the sub can go on´the floor underneath the piano.

Any recommendations for a monitor quality active sub/sat system? Or any other ideas?

hang out with me at woody piano shack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few ideas. Since the top of the keyboard is not so deep, you could place a piece of thin wood (as a shelf) or use two pieces of thin metal (as a support for a speaker); they would be shaped or bent in an L. One side of the L is mounted to the back side of your keyboard and what extends further back is what the excess amount of the speaker sits on (for additional support). To keep the speaker from sliding off, Use Velcro.

You'd have to open up your keyboard to see where you could drill holes without causing any problems.

I could also see mounting a Z shaped piece of metal which gets mounted underneath the keyboard - same idea, but the holes are drilled on the bottom of the keyboard.

Maybe just applying Velcro to the bottom of the speaker and the top of the keyboard would be enough to keep it in place without having to do any drilling.

I used Velcro to mount a Voce controller on my old A80. Part of the Voce stuck over the edge but most of it was firmly held in place with Velcro. I used dark Velcro to blend in to the original color of the A80.

The more I think of it, drilling holes on the bottom of the keyboard might be the best way to go especially if the bottom material is some kind of particle board.

Report back with what your solution was.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

thanks dave for taking the time to explain your ideas.

i've done something similar in the past to extend the depth of my p80 so I could put a synth on top.

I made a pair of wooden brackets which slid onto the back of the P80. From the side they had a profile like this

----------

|

|

-----

these pushed on and were a tight fit. Worked ok.

i didn't really want to go this way again, since I think it would be unstable with loudspeakers which have a higher CofG. When you dig in to a piece there can be some wobbling:)

Which is why I think small satellites might be best here...

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I'm not big into drilling holes in my keyboard.

Get some speaker stands that put the monitors at ear-height when you are playing. Put them on the left and right sides, a little in front of you. Mine are at the corners of the keyboard. Position them until they sound great from a sitting position.

If you have a sub - and I strongly recommend that you do - put it at your feet as close as practical to the center of the two monitors. Positioning is not as critical, but you don't want to put it in the corner of your room, 10 feet away. Use your ears.

Positioning your speakers is important. This is why its best to have stands that you can move around until you get it right.

I'm not big into drilling holes in my keyboard.

(I repeat this for emphasis.)

Good luck,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom, so what you're saying is, you're not big on drilling holes in your keyboard? :wave:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Tom, so what you're saying is, you're not big on drilling holes in your keyboard? :wave:

Hi Dave. :wave:

Truth is that I like having the flexibility of stands. Nothing more, really.

I hope all is well with you.

Take care,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived