Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Immediate Midi help needed!

Jdub2k1

I need quick "midi for dummies" help guys....

I have:

2 m-audio keystations both with 1 midi out

1 m-audio midisport 2x2

1 voce v5

I need to know how to hook up the v5, midisport, and 2 keyboards to get both keyboards to play. I need to know exactly which midi outs hooks up to which midi ins asap. thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voce V5 Info

It seems to me that you would take the MIDI output of the first keyboard & assign it to MIDI channel 1.

The second keyboard's MIDI out should be assigned to channel 2.

Connect them to the m-audio midisport 2x2 MIDI merge box. Midisport 2X2

Take a MIDI cable out of one of the MIDI outputs on the Midisport 2X2 and connect it to the Voce V5.

The Voce should recognize the 2 channels. It is multitimbral and will recognize 3 channels: upper manual, lower manual, and pedals.

If you want more specifics, read the Voce manual.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Well obviously I am either doing something wrong or I have some malfunctioning equipment because I am only getting sound from 1 keyboard, and I am on the verge of throwing all of this in the garbage. I have read through the manuals of the V5, Midisport 2x2, and keystations, and still nothing. I appreciate the help anyway guys.

I don't see how the MIDISport will merge. The manual you link to is for the MIDIMerge.

M-audio has no MIDISPort manual for download that I could find.

With two keyboards you will want to have each keyboard transmitting on separate MIDI channels. This will allow each keyboard to have it's own sound.

Then, these two MIDI outputs from the keyboards need to be Merged into one MIDI output. This merged output will then go to the Voce MIDI input.

To complete this, however, the Voce will need to be in Mutli-timbrel Mode. It will have one sound as one "layer" and another fro the 2nd "layer".

Originally posted by Prague:

I don't see how the MIDISport will merge. The manual you link to is for the MIDIMerge.

M-audio has no MIDISPort manual for download that I could find.

Dammit, you're right Cap'n Prague! :thu: This is simply a USB interface. Well bust my britches and slap me upside da head with a momma salmon. :eek:

Getcha a MERGE box Jdub2k1 and all your problems will be solved. :D

Just kidding... that little thing you got going on wit your girlfriend is gonna take a bit more time to sort out. If you'd like, you can give her MY number. :cool::P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I would assume the Voce does have a "Multi" Mode. I don't have any experience on those.

Jdub, you need a Merger first, but make absolutely sure the Voce has a Multi mode. If the manual is online, give us a link to it if you are unsure of this capability.

Just don't throw anything away yet! This setup you want can be done.

Unless what you have is actually a MIDIMerge and NOT the MIDISport USB to MIDI computer interface, you can't do what you want to do.

Since the Keystations ONLY have a single MIDI Output and no MIDI input (excluding the USB I/O which also serves to transmit and receive MIDI data) you do need a MIDI merge box. Most any music store that sells software will probably have one and it won't be very expensive.

You do know that the V5 can actually receive on 3 MIDI channels simultaneously so you can have upper and lower manuals plus pedals? So go get another Keystation and a second merge box, ask Tom (GAS) to send you a case of cold brew, and have at it. :D

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

That has to be the answer...This is the set up as of now:

Keystation 1 is set to channel 1 with the midi out connected to the midisport midi in A

Keystation 2 is set to channel 2 with the midi out connected to the midisport midi in B

Voce is in multi-timberal mode with midi in connnected to the midisport midi out A.

I am recieving sound from the Keystation 1. If I connect the Voce midi in to the midisport midi out B, I recieve sound from the Keystation 2, but never 1 and 2 at the same time :mad:

No worries. You got it. Get a cheap MIDI merge box, read the VOCE manual to figure out how to set up the two channels independently, and go gig.

Doooood, no throwing good stuff out the window. Sit down, open a brewski & chill. Come back later with a fresh start. This is how the game is played. :thu:

Life is good. We're here with nothing better to do than to fight over who can answer your question first.

Now... How's yer girlfriend? :P

Does a keystation have a midi in and a combined midi out/thru? If so, you should be able to merge the keystations' data and skip the MidiSport.

Used to do that with my KX-88 alla time.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived