Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you keep your original cardboard shipping box for your keyboard?

GuitarPlayerFL

My Roland RD came in a huge cardboard box...the one the piano comes packaged in.

Should I keep this thing for the length of the warranty in case it needs to be serviced or go ahead and throw it away?

I really have no room to store this thing...it's in the living room.

If I ever want to move it, I'd buy a nice case for it.

Just curious as to what everybody here does.

Carl

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it. You may need it one day. I've always kept mine. Still have my Roland JX8P box from 1985. If you ever sell it, it adds value and makes shipping easier if you have the factory box. If you need to ship to manufacturer or service place, the original box is nearly as good as it gets.

I do have custom flight cases for all my keyboards, but still keep the cardboard boxes up in the attic, just in case.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by GuitarPlayerSoCal:

I really have no room to store this thing...it's in the living room.

Break it down...it makes it much easier to store. I have all my boxes broken down, folded up and tucked away up in my attic. They take up very little space.

You can put the other packing materials into a trash bag and store them separately as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Break it down...it makes it much easier to store. I have all my boxes broken down, folded up and tucked away up in my attic. They take up very little space.

I suppose that's the best thing to do...thanks to both of you. :)

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

If you're folding it down, doesn't this mean you're throwing away all the moulded foam and padding bits? Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of having the box... coz it aint gonna make it any easier to ship around safely anymore - you'd have to repad it with stuff etc.

I think it depends how much room you have to spare. If you have an empty attic, then by all means, keep it, its always nice for reselling. But if you've thrown away the padding bits, then I don't see much point in keeping the box besides satisfying that "collector's" sentiment.

Originally posted by jook:

If you're folding it down, doesn't this mean you're throwing away all the moulded foam and padding bits? Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of having the box... coz it aint gonna make it any easier to ship around safely anymore - you'd have to repad it with stuff etc.

Originally posted by dB:

You can put the other packing materials into a trash bag and store them separately as well.

:thu:

I'm also a box keeper, although it is indeed hard to find space - i've got a few under my bed :)

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

I used to save all the packing material but no longer. If I ever have to return anything, I'll drive it myself and it will be in a flight case.

The last repair I had was on a QSC amp and I just drove the one hour or so to the repair station.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I keep my boxes, that is until I move then I leave them in the atic of the old house. This seems to work pretty well since I move about every 5 years, and I buy new KB every 10 or so. This way I never have to worry with disposal.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I haven't bought a keyboard in over 12 years(let's hear it for softsynths!! :D ), but I kept the last box for about six years then tossed it. I've been lucky, my keyboards haven't broken down and work perfectly to this day.

Too bad they don't make cardboard from hemp. So many trees get mowed down for cardboard.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Everybody has convinced me to flatten and save.

I'll just have to buy a staple gun when I want to use it again...no problem. It's not easy finding a box this size when you need it!

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I have to keep 'em around for re-shipping review units to makers from Keyboard, and I have a small place, so they go in my storage unit along with a couple of half-working Leslies, this huge Oriental rug, and other things in my 'round tuit file.

For stuff I own, I always get cases. Got some custom jobs and some SKB's I've tricked out with lots of extra padding... one of my old K2000's has gone around the country in such a case, and has never had a problem. :) Eventually, boxes do seem to deterioriate, even if they're just sitting in a room somewhere.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Keep the box. When it's time to sell (or donate) it to someone else, it will enhance the value of the instrument. I rarely buy anything used, but I'm always impressed by a seller who has taken good care of anything while in his possession - and a keyboard in good to excellent condition, with the original packing, conveys that like nothing else will.

I don't have the space. Right now the only box I have is for my Motif ES6. Too bad I don't have the Karma box becasue if so I might eBay that keyboard. I never ship off for repair, I drive the keyboard to the dealer. If you do need to keep it, try under the bed. And if you need to justify the space, use it to store something like out of season clothing.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Keep the boxes -- in the age of eBay it will get you a better price and make it sooooooooo much easier to ship when/if you sell.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

dB

Brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that . . . I've just been getting bigger houses.

I can't seem to throw anything away. :)

hahahahaa!

As for me... im a bit of both. Ive a few boxes for stuff like DAT's and whatnot, but ive long since discarded the boxes for things like my MPC's... my logic being the latter is happy in a flightcase and wont need much repair attention. Certainly wont be selling it :P

If you find yourself asking an internet forum wether you should keep an empty box or not... i daresay you shoudl just discard it. Dont rely on us for validifying what you must feel is an action you dont really wish to make... mwahahah

Originally posted by Steve in KS:

I can't seem to throw anything away. :)

I agree.

Especially if it's a pretty box with all sorts of color pictures, specs and stuff on it. I'll save it.

Of course, when I was a kid watching TV, I remember telling Mom that I enjoyed the commercials a lot more than the shows themselves. For many of us, that's the only reason to watch the Superbowl. ;)

Somehow this all ties in to my career in sales/marketing and performing.

Ummm... I also enjoy an occassional beer, but I'm not quite sure how that fits in. :freak::P

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived