Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KDFX for a K2500XS

Bill Heins

Been looking into adding the KDFX to my Kurzweil before they disappear but wonder whether it's worth it. Right now I run the Kurzweil and a Roland JV-1000 through a Mackie CR1604-VLZ into my computer and do all my recording, mixing, and mastering there. Will the KDFX really make that big of a difference when I can selectively record two tracks at a time or edit each stereo set seperately with software.

I bought the Kurzweil(in '97 or '98...think it was '97 ;) ) with the Grand Piano daughterboard, Contemporary Block, Orchestral Block, and extended PRAM....haven't gone to the 128mb of sample ram yet either as I use software samplers and just trigger from the Kurzweil.

I also run my Charval Mod 6(electric guitar for the uninitiated;)) through a PodXT into the Mackie :)

Any thoughts?

Left the "band thing", a while back, strictly studio now....very hard to find people with the right dedication, skills, and most importantly, the finances to play prog rock ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

...KDFX to my Kurzweil ...

Left the "band thing", a while back, strictly studio now....very hard to find people with the right dedication, skills, and most importantly, the finances to play prog rock

I've heard the KDFX is worth it from those who have it.

I hear you on your 2nd point. I humor myself daily trying to find players. Keyboards is the most difficult. :cry:

sirgant, I see that Sweetwater has them for $350.00...sounds like quite a deal!

Prague, good luck in your search...I actually started a prog band as a guitarist about 10 years ago but we could never find a singer or a keyboardists so I doubled on keys...started taking lessons....3 and 1/2 years later and the band was done and I was finishing my piano lessons and was 1/2 a year into my drum lessons (found out it's so much easier to write percussion when you know how to play ;) )

Now it's strictly solo, I play the keys, guitar, and play(or program depending on how the mood strikes me, the percussion and bass parts along with orchestral, sound effects,etc...I sold my drumkit the Summer before last but I see another in my near future ;)

Music is pretty closed right now so I don't know how a prog band would do...other than say a prog/metal outfit along the lines of Dream Theater or Symphony X....the days of Gentle Giant and ELP are behind us now, or are they ahead of us?? :)

Darkon the Incandescent

Hail Vibrania!

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

Been looking into adding the KDFX to my Kurzweil before they disappear but wonder whether it's worth it.

:rolleyes:

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I took "they" to mean available KDFX options for the long-discontinued K2500 series, not Kurzweil itself.

As a K2500 user, I can definitely say it's worth the investment. Great sound quality, great control possibilities. Makes the K2500 sound like a whole new machine.

Keven Spargo, Sound Designer

www.ksounds.com

Quality sounds for Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil and Kontakt formats

Beware that KDFX installation into the K2500 is doable, but nontrivial. From what I have understood, it requires acquaintance with electronics, (re)calibrating supply voltages etc.

Said that, KDFX is one beast of an FX section, and has been compared in reviews quality-wise to top brands like Lexicon. With a sample option installed into K2500 anor K26xx, external signals can be passed through KDFX (and the VAST synthesis engine, for that matter! But that's another story). Thus the K2500 and K26xx become killer effects units as well.

Originally posted by Cydonia:

If I only refer to the KDFX effects, I can tell you they are quite good and very clean. They now come into all instruments of the PC2 family. :)

Yes, the PC1x and PC2 have a KDFX effects section of same quality as K2500 and K26xx, but the latter two offer more simultaneous effects than PC1x and PC2.

Paul Dillen

DLN Sound - FM sounds for Kurzweil *NEW* Forte, PC3, PC2, PC1 and K2 series

Yeah, I was talking about ther availability of the KDFX units themselves...I see them removed from a lot of online shops :(

To be safe I would bring the keyboard into an authorized shop. I want to see what the price is locally compared to what I have seen on the net.

When I bought my K2500XS the KDFX wasn't even available...it came out about 6 months after I got mine or I would have ordered it installed. I give Kurzweil a lot of respect for the support they give their products unlike other manufacturers in my experience. I have a Roland JV-1000 that I bought practically as soon as they came out....a year later you couldn't find anything about them at Roland ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

Hail Vibrania!

Archived