Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurli on the Stairway?

Immo

I was just listening to Stairway to Heaven, and I thought I noticed the sound of a Wurli in a couple of spots of the intro although mostly buried in the background.

I think I first start noticing it at about 2:23 on the recording I'm listening to. Does this sound right, or am I mistaking another intrument for it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I've seen that site before which is really cool. I didn't realize the studio version of "No Quarter" was the Hohner as well as I noticed it said he played a Rhodes through a phaser on that song, but I just double checked and that was just on the live version.

Funny he used a Rhodes live as it's sounds a bit more Wurli to me.

They have the Hohner ElectraPiano at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with John Paul's Alembic 8string, and that goofy-ass suit with the shoulder Xmas ornaments that he wore in the Song Remains The Same.

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Originally posted by Immo:

I didn't realize the studio version of "No Quarter" was the Hohner

The sound he used for "No Quarter" was awesome.

When I took piano classes while an undergrad I would practice it at the end of the period before we left. My Filipino professor once asked for the song name. I told her and she told me, "It's in C#." She then began to play the song by ear on an old Hammond they had in the music department based on what I had learned, which was the intro part.

I freaked out. She was good, guys. A damn good teacher and player.

Archived