Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage - someone's first impressions...

Botch.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Botch, that guy paid $3800 USD for it. Yikes. :eek: The more I think about it, the more I LOVE my Yamaha Motif ES8.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm sure there will be others that will spring for the Nord Stage. I don't know, I don't see a whole lot of value in these "all in one" KB's, I only have two hands. :) Organ patches on an 88 weighted keyboard instead of on the Electro or a clonewheel? I guess the saving grace is most of us would run out of space long before we could have one of each.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hi, we got the Nord Stage 88 in the store where I work some days ago. Took it home last night and played since.... :D

First impression:

Wow! this box is easy to carry although it has an 88 weighted keyboard. Not too heavy.

The first patch is a GrandPiano/ Pad layer. Really nice. The Rhodes is amazing, the best rhodes sounds I have ever played. (I use the Motif ES myself.) It has release samples that adds to the realism, and the amp simulation also makes this sound so great. Very musical reacting to velocity. The Rhodes just blew me away!!!!

The organ and the clavinet is close to the nord electro.

The piano(s) is way better than the Nord Electro, they sound great, but although I like them, they don´t seem 100% realistic. It is just that they are great sounds, but not realistic enough. The bottom end is a little mettalic and the octave below the top octave sound a little thin to my ears. And there are some to obvious velocity switchings in the two lowest octaves. But like the Rhodes, it is a very musical sound, that fits ok in a musical setting.

The synth section is also in the Nord tradition. I have not taken an in depth look at this. But sounds good for Pads and leads. It has some artifacts like some obvious aliasing in the high registers.

And the board is so damn easy to use. Great!!! So flexible and easy to control. The effect sections sound great, but I find the EQ a little noisy.

All summed up, I would like to own this board for one reason:The Rhodes, the Rhodes, the Rhodes,..... I play alot Rhodes stuff and this is so musical, I feel I can express more with this sound than any other Rhodes sound I have played. (I wish I had this Rhodes sound in my Motif ES8)

This is only my first impression, just touching the surface after one night of playing.... not testing :D

EricG:

The thing about the Nord Stage is, it's EXPENSIVE. I doubt they will have a lot of success with an instrument that does an "OK" job with things beyond what an Electro 2 can do for half the money.

Mike T.

I am still intrigued by the STAGE, but the more I'm hearing on these early reviews, the more it seems that keeping my Electro is the way to go. The main thing my Electro does not have is a good piano sound, but I have that elsewhere (same for the synths). I was hoping that the STAGE could be a great all-in-one machine and I could gig with a STAGE + DSI PEK rig. At the moment, it appears that my S90 + Electro + occasional PEK is more flexible (albeit more to carry).

I still want to check out the STAGE for myself, but not sure I'll be real excited to melt $3k+ to get one in my hands.

Regards,

Eric

No suprise considereing how they were in the Electro. My advice to Clavia is to do what they do best: Release their Rhodes samples in a 76 key fully weighted keyboard (under 34 pounds in weight) and leave out all the synth and organ stuff. And price it low enough so they will sell a ton of them. Call it the "Nord Rhodes" or "Nord Tine."

(Include the Mark I, Mark II and Dyno sounds as well as an assortment of Wurlies. Also, add some retro Rhodes-like visual characteristics.)

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

MIkeT156:

I agree the nord stage is too expensive.

But I can see why some people get attracted to it, and buy it. The main selling points must be 88 great feeling keys, compact size and not too heavy. The rhodes, clav, and organs are superb, and the synth and effect section is great. The piano,... well... (I hope they will update that one...) Yes, it is too expensive.

Archived