Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Percy Heath

lrossmusic

Well unfortunately we've lost another legendary jazz bassist. Unlike Niels though Percy Heath lived a relatively long life and would have been 82 on Saturday.

(from American Music Guide)

Percy Heath

The oldest of the three Heath Brothers, Percy Heath's association with the Modern Jazz Quartet was the dominant activity of his career. An excellent soloist and a perfect accompanist with an appealing tone, Heath (who grew up in Philadelphia) was originally a violinist. He switched to bass in 1946, was soon playing locally, and the following year he moved to New York with brother Jimmy to join Howard McGhee's band. Heath played with the who's who of bop (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Fats Navarro, Miles Davis, and J.J. Johnson) in various settings and recordings. In 1951, he joined Milt Jackson's Quartet which, in 1952, became the Modern Jazz Quartet. For the next 23 years, the MJQ toured and recorded constantly. After its temporary breakup, Percy joined Jimmy and Tootie in the Heath Brothers Band (1975-1982), going back to the MJQ (where he remained a key member) when they regrouped in the early '80s. Strangely enough, Percy Heath never led a record date of his own.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw bim...along with his brothers...perform at a jazz festival in Cape May, NJ acouple of years ago. We snuck backstage and chatted with them all... what a wonderful guy. As he walked on stage, he clearly looked like an old man... but once he started playing...all of a sudden...he was ageless, and just as good as ever. When you think that he played with ALL the legendary jazz guys... he will be missed.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Oh no... RIP Percy. One of the last remaining links to so much jazz history has been lost. My most sincere condolences to Jimmy and Albert for losing a brother.

It's coming to an end of an era, unfortunately. Crazy. The most depressing thing is that not many people know who these people are anymore. Percy only just recorded his only album as a leader, "A Love Song." I haven't heard it, but he was quoted as saying he didn't care whether he was a leader or not, he still felt the same pressure to perform well.

RIP Percy.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Terry Gross at NPR did an extensive interview back in 1984 that was replayed on Fresh Air this morning. I was just at the NPR web site and it said that the audio would be available later today.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4624695

In the interview Percy talks at length about growing up and playing in Philadelphia, getting drafted as a fighter pilot with the Tuskegee Airmen, moving to New York, playing with Parker, his years with MJQ, and on and on. It's worth a listen if they get it up on the web site and you haven't heard it already.

Larry.

Archived