Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help valuing some synths please ?

Hey guys. I dont know anywhere better to put this, but do any of you guys have a clue about what this gear is worth? Its all A1, been sitting in boxes for a year or two, come with boxes, manuals and cables. I've bought them off a co-worker, and am trying to figure out if its worth keeping them or if id be better off selling them and buying some new bass gear [Wink] . Heres the list of what I've bought :

Roland jv1010 Sound Module

roland groove box MC 307

Amagic amt-8 8x Midi to USB

RNC - compressor

Roland XV3080 sound module

Access Viris indigo synth keyboard

Nord micro modular

Roland JP8000 synth modeller keyboard

Novation Nova II keyboard

Any help is much appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew secondhand stuff was really cheap in Oz (and that the prices of new gear made up for that), but you got this complete LOT of stuff?

Would you mind telling us for how much?

Anyway, before finding prices, I go around eBay and some second-hand sites here to see what others have done.

Roland jv1010 Sound Module
JV-1080's (their bigger brothers) go away here for 250 euros already, so 200 would be max. They're ubiquitous, and the controls aren't really friendly in some cases (editing is nearly impossible without a computer) so the (U?)$200 I saw above is probably more close to the mark.
roland groove box MC 307
If it's in a good condition, 250 euros.
Emagic amt-8 8x Midi to USB
New, they're expensive as hell here (400 euros!). I sold mine for 225, which is reasonable.

RNC - compressor
They're not so easy to get. I've seen 'm go away for around 175 here. The "RNC" stands for "Really Nice Compressor". http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.htm shows a new price of U$199 so you might have to drop even a bit further.
Roland XV3080 sound module
A bit superfluous with the JV1010 up there, but it shows that he might not've been able to sell the 1010. 400?
Access Virus indigo synth keyboard
Is this an Indigo I or an Indigo II? If it's a I (based on the Access Virus B), 800. If it's a II, it's based on the Virus C, which has recently taken a dip thanks to the upcoming release of the Virus TI, so that'd be 1200 ("desktop" C's go away here for 900 already).

Also see www.access-music.de .

Nord micro modular
Great little machines, no producer can do without 'm (or should've tried one at least). They go away for 225-250 here.
Roland JP8000 synth modeller keyboard
Even if it's an oldie, it's still popular. Never seen one go away for less than 600 here.
Novation Nova II keyboard
According to the reviews on Harmony Central, it's not exactly blessed with a bug-free OS - I've never seen many of 'm around, second hand. The feeling of the keyboard itself is lovely, though.

A bit tougher to determine, because since its release it's got a lot of competition and only little showtime. Does it have any expansions? I'd probably put it on 600 or a bit more - if it's got a faultless working OS, 700. It can stand its ground with the Indigo, but the character is different.

Anyway, your mileage may vary. Don't forget to convert the above from Euro to AUS bucks -> www.xe.com

I don't know how close I am in the guess (it's a habit of mine to check 2nd hand prices on www.Synthforum.nl where a LOT of stuff gets put up for sale, daily) I do know however that this is a really nice collection. Kind of odd that there's no samplers in there (or maybe he kept 'm). Here in the NL we have the advantage of having the German stores (really big ones) close to us, so a lot of things aren't that expensive if you are willing to order from abroad (and they have a great service, too). For stuff like Cubase, the US is clearly in the advantage. There's an absurd difference in price.

In that case you got yourself a nice deal, I think. You got a good discount on the big boys (Nova II, JP, Indigo, 3080).

Ebay is one way. Classified ads's a second. Since most of the Ebay stuff comes from the USA and they don't always ship abroad, I think you can make a few fellow people from your country rather happy with that stuff.

Did you test 'm yourself already, by the way?

Doesn't EBay have a Eurpean Clone? I thought I remember reading something about that in a post by one of our Euro friends.

Another resource are local and regional web sites. I post on a regional web site that's classified are FREE, and have sold some gear to local players, and not have to worry about EvilBay's high rates, or getting paid.

Also, Check Harmony-Central's Classified ads. Obviously, the Buy/Sell ad's are posted by pro and semi pro players, so you'll only get the fair market value, whereas Ebay sales can go beyond what some gear sells for new. A lot of people are clueless to the actual worth of gear.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

RNC Compressor

i'll just say this - i find any discussion of the price pointless, since even if it costed $400-500 it would still be a great value. truly the most transparent compressor in the sub 1500 range, as people usually say.

i have it inserted on my master A/D, all the time. most stuff gets some easy comp. it can also do great (stereo mix) pre-mastering compression. "super nice mode" is a killer.

while you're at it, buy two! it's worth it. ;)

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Archived