Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ivory for PC available december 2005? Argh!

fisheye

The German distributor of Ivory ( site ) now states the PC version of Ivory will be available at the end of december! That can't be true, can it?

I can't wait that long.

In German they even say (translated) 'pc version possibly available end of december'.

I bet they have problems with Gigastudio's disk streaming patent.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

i listened to ivory's demos...simply mind blowing....i cant believe now things are going on the reverse. first it used to be that PC users could get more stuff that wouldnt work in mac, now its changed.

darn those Macs!

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

Originally posted by keyman_sam:

i cant believe now things are going on the reverse. first it used to be that PC users could get more stuff that wouldnt work in mac, now its changed.

AFAIK, more music software has always been available for Macs than it has for PCs.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Markyboard:

On the other hand by December we may see something from a competitor(s) that makes this one not as good as originally perceived.

Wanna bet? ;)

Joe Ierardi (the guy behind Ivory) is The Man, especially when it comes to pianos. :thu::cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Wanna bet?

umm..no.

I was in part trying to rationalize away my disappointment...only to have you shatter my world. :mad: Believe me I was quite impressed with what I heard at NAMM and am dying to get my hands on this software. However I do think at some point the competition will step it up and the arguments will ensue - only for things to settle out as we realize it's subjective and a matter of personal taste. I'd say the Oasys would be the next contender although as I understand this would have much less memory being of the non-streaming sort.

Originally posted by Markyboard:

I'd say the Oasys would be the next contender although as I understand this would have much less memory being of the non-streaming sort.

Considering what Yamaha and Roland squeeze out of 16mb, Oasys could do very well with 512mb. IF, they have the right man for the job of course...

I questioned Ilio on the delay and got an answer today (good customer service).

"As far as a December release, that news is even disappointing to me. The fact is we are hopefully pushing for sometime in June or a little later."

-Brian Qualls, Tech Support & Sales

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump.

update: got a mail from Ilio.

Be warned, there is some marketing talk included, but also some interesting stuff.

Dear Ivory Enthusiast,

This is just a quick note to update you on the status of Synthogy's Ivory Grand Pianos for PC. While we announced in January that the PC version of Ivory would be available in early 2005, it has taken us a bit longer than anticipated. Synthogy now plans to release Ivory for PC in September.

The really good news is that it will certainly be worth the wait! Both PC and Mac users will enjoy an improved library with two additional velocity layers for each piano plus proprietary noise reduction, further improving the already stunning realism and fidelity that Ivory is famous for.

Here's a rundown of feature enhancements of the next major Ivory version available in September:

• Both Mac and PC support, available in one box

• PC formats will include VST and RTAS

• Improved realism

Bösendorfer velocity layers increased from 8 to 10

Steinway velocity layers increased from 8 to 10

Yamaha C7 velocity layers increased from 6 to 8

• Improved fidelity — proprietary noise reduction applied to each sample in the library

• Newly updated manual

Nice to read that they listened to the negative remarks in reviews about the noise.

September. I should be able to wait for September. Must... not... think... about... Mac...

God, am I weak.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

AFAIK, more music software has always been available for Macs than it has for PCs.
Used to be the case, but sure isn't true now -- especially in the freeware/shareware end.

They both rock. It's really great what we can do with our computers and a very small investment. Whodathunk that a whole hammond organ could be obtained for a mere $150 (assuming you already have the keyboard, computer, and PA, of course. Which I did.) Not to mention how much easier it is to do a good home studio recording than it was back in the bad ol' days of tape.

Either platform is great, although you have to know more to buy/assemple a suitable PC platform than you do with Macs. With Macs, the answer is simple: G5. (Or whatever the latest is these days.)

Archived