Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Football 2005

Dave Bryce

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by poly:

As a 49er fan since 1970, you're not the only sad one. I just hope he returns to 'retire' a 49er.

:cry:

The Niners have treated Rice like shit. Several times, he's tried to talk with them about doing just this, and they rebuke him with public statements like, "We have no interest in Jerry Rice, and wish him luck."

Whatta buncha jerks.

Anyway, as a huge fan of the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time), I hope he does make the squad in Denver, and gets a little playing time behind Smith and Lelie and the other wideout.

I was really hoping he'd retire after last year with the Seahawks, but if he wants to play and can play, I hope he's given the shot.

- Jeff

Yeah, I don't think he'll retire a niner, nor should he at this point. If he really does get a chance to make a few more great plays this year, more power to him I guess. Jerry as a Raider was a good deal. After that, though, I really think he should have hung it up.

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Quote by Mark Zeger:

-----------------------------------------

Quote attributed to Joe DiMaggio:

"The good always get in the game. The great know when to get out."

-----------------------------------------

Yep, I remember reading something about that a LONG time ago, and basically the first season Joe knew he muffed a play because his skills were just STARTING to slip, was the last season he played baseball. He had the good sense to hang 'em up and go out "on top"

I should dig up that book and send it to the ROLLING STONES. God. :bor:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I just said this on the CBS Sportsline forum. I'll say it again here...

"Going out on top" is a myth.

5 years after Willie Mays retired, no one talked about him being a Met and stinking up the joint, they talked about how great he was during his glory years.

3 years after MJ hung it up for good, no one talked about him being mediocre with the Whizz, they talk about his glory years with the Bulls.

And, indeed, 5 years after Jerry finally hangs up the cleats, no one will talk about his sunset with the Hawks or the Broncos, they'll talk about his glory years as a Niner.

So let him play and quit harassing him about it. He loves this game, he's given everything he had to it, and now he's just trying to play as long as his body will allow him to. If he makes the team in Denver, great! I'm happy for him, because he has one more year to do what he loves the most. If not, well, it probably is time to hang it up, because his body is just too tired to keep going.

Either way, all the naysayers should lift a nice cup of STFU about it, because few of us ever get the chance to do what we love in the prime of our lives, never mind the twilight of our careers...

I don't know Grif, I think it diminishes his accomplishments to a certain extent, as one of the greatest players to ever put on a uniform. How would you feel if he got seriously hurt? A lot of boxers weren't able to walk away from the ring even when they could have been permanently injured or died in the ring for a paycheck. I know Jerry isn't in it for the $$$, but he's long past his prime, he should be coaching.

I think Joe DiMaggio was right.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Griff, no one is predicting that down the road, people will respect Jerry any less for wanting to hang on a little too long.

You just don't like to watch it happening at the moment, and I'd rather see Jerry Rice proactively leave football on his own terms. Any team should jump to have him, and that being said, he should bow out gracefully without sitting for 80% of a season on the sidelines, or possibly getting hurt if he does get a play or two. Just my opinion.

- Jeff

• 1 month later...

I need to choose a team to follow and chear for this year. Cincinnati seems a bit hopeless. The next team is 5 hours away. It does not have to be the top team. Just a good team with a chance, and without players holding out because they are only making 8 mil this season.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Rabid:

The Steelers.

Of course, if you want to be a bandwagon fan, there's always the Patriots. We get a lot of them hanging out on the Steelers site harassing us, and rubbing in their win in the AFC Championship game AGAIN this year. However, we all know that nothing lasts forever.

Mike T.

Originally posted by Rabid:

I need to choose a team to follow and chear for this year. Cincinnati seems a bit hopeless. The next team is 5 hours away. It does not have to be the top team. Just a good team with a chance, and without players holding out because they are only making 8 mil this season.

http://www.nflnut.com/store/media/RAIDERSLOGO.gif

:wave:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The AFC West is going to be a TOUGH division this year.

Objectively speaking, it's really hard to predict whether the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs or Broncos will be any better than each other. All four seem to have improved in different areas.

I can't WAIT for football to start. Man, I almost started watching baseball, fer cryin' out loud. Lacking hockey and after the end of basketball, what else am I going to do... get into lacrosse or something? Badmitton, anyone? I am so jonesing for real sports, I can't even explain it.

GO RAIDERS

- Jeff

Jeff:

To cure a SERIOUS case of Football Jonesin', I watch tapes of "Super Bowl Memories". I like to watch more recent games. It's getting more and more difficult to watch the Steelers Super Bowl teams anymore. Some of the players that played in those games have NO hair now, the ones that do have hair that is even more gray than what hair I have. Steelers are long overdue for a title. New England is making sure they don't get the chance. :(

Mike T.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Steelers are long overdue for a title. New England is making sure they don't get the chance. :(

Big Ben will be even stronger (if that's possible) with a year of experience under his belt. He should be more comfortable come playoff time.

BTW: NFL Network is great for reliving football moments. I'll flip by every once in awhile and watch a re-run of an old playoff game or Super Bowl, and Rich Eisen's excellent show runs year-round.

- Jeff

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Steelers are long overdue for a title. New England is making sure they don't get the chance.

It's beautiful, ain't it? :thu:

I hate the fact that Tedy Bruschi is still not indicating whether he'll be back this year. It's killing me. Chad Brown and Monty Biesel are NOT going to add up to Tedy. That dude is the very soul of the Pats defense, his play on the field was inspiring to everyone around him, whether teammate or opponent. The guy just has guts like we haven't seen in the NFL since the 70's...

Rabid said: I need to choose a team to follow and chear for this year.

Every year I choose to adopt a team and root for them. I will always love the 49ers and Raiders (I know an oxymoron) but I lived in the Bay Arae until 1993 and followed both until the Raiders moved to Hell, I mean LA. Once they came back home, to Oakland, all was forgiven.

Ok back to the team adoption. My criteria is the following: Dallas, Chicago, NY Giants and St. Louis are inelgible since I hate those teams. Denver is off the list since their my wife's favorite team. Arizona is the local home team so I kinda pull for them but won't choose them either.

So that being said I've narrowed the list to three teams for this year; Detroit, NY Jets and Tampa Bay. The last three years I chose; 2002 New Orleans, 2003 Tennesee, 2004 San Diego. Last year was fun since San Diego had a pretty good year. I've been doing this for 17 years and have never adopted any team who has went to the Super Bowl.

Ok my question for all you; Which team is going to be a surprise this year? This can either be the team being good or the team being a disappointment.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Most everyone feels their team has a chance to do something special. Pittsburgh and Indy fans must feel like this may be the year they might beat New England. Green Bay fans hope the Pack have another run in them, Falcons fans may feel this year Michael Vick can lead them to the promised land. Ok you get the picture. One statistic seems to tell the tale on the success of Super Bowl participants and winners for as long as I can remember. Injuries to more than one key player or sometimes even one key player.

I never truly appreciated the value of this statistic until I began play Fantasy Football. As I began to really look at the impact of injuries over the years, this stat/trend has held up consistently. So which team can least afford any injury to a key player? Example - Would the Colts be a playoff team without Peyton Manning?

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Quote by Griffinator:

-------------------------

It's beautiful, ain't it? :thu:

-------------------------

Not if you're a Steeler fan. I think Bruschi has a lot more to be concerned about than football. But there's no question he's "the man". One by one, the Patriots will lose core players, and the players that are put in those positions to replace core players won't be as good. So the Patriots won't have quite the same team. It happens to every Championship team. But New England will be in the thick of the race again this year and it will still take someone to beat them on the field in the playoffs before they're ever out of it.

Now, Peyton Manning and the Colts. Sure, without Peyton they wouldn't be anywhere near as good. But they've paid him WAY too much money and the Colts can't get top defensive players in their lineup. They always banked on outscoring their opponents. New England made sure that "strategy" didn't work. Every playoff game NE slammed the points door in their face, and made them look like a bad college football team in the process. It hasn't been anymore fun watching the playoffs for the Colts than it has been for the Steelers. :(

Mike T.

It would be good to see the Raiders being more competitive. They've gone somewhat on the skids since they lost their last Super Bowl.

Their schedule isn't going to make life very easy for them at the start of the season. They play the Patriots, the Chiefs, and the Eagles in the first three regular season games. :(

Mike T.

• 7 months later...
Originally posted 02-23-2005 by Dave Bryce:

originally posted by Red Winger in the now-closed Football 2004 thread:

some good news for the silver and black (assuming it goes through):

Randy Moss traded to da Raiders

Yet another deep guy. :thu:

I'm not sure I like this. Moss gets on my nerves. :rolleyes:

Hey didja hear that Bledsoe appears to be headed for Dallas? :eek:

dB

Hmm

Judging from the time stamp on Dave's quote above (the opening post of this thread, created on 2-23-2005), I'd say we're a few days behind schedule for starting a Football 2006 thread!

Hint, hint!

;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived