Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Karn Evil 9, First Impression Pt. II & Law And Order

ELP71

I just heard a large portion of Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression Pt. II as music for a promo for this new show - Law and Order - Trial by Jury...lots of organ, etc.

I also heard it on the TODAY show recently...almost the same cut. Always a treat...and amazingly fresh for thirty year-old material...

***DOH!!! Thanks for the correction!!! Duly and humbly noted.

Although I did hear one of the 2nd Impression piano solos (the fast one right after all the sparse effects, scrapes, and bass/piano trade offs) used on a car radio commercial in Florida in 1985...

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw it a few times myself. It seems to crop up somewhere at least once a year in some form anymore. I always wonder what the people who don't know what it is have to think. A Philly classic-rock radio station did a song based on the tune for the Eagles Super-Bowl game.
There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

I'm always pleased to hear an ELP tune being played on the radio or TV. Keith's been my keyboard idol ever since I was first introduced to his keyboard work on the Trilogy Album back in early 1973. I can hardly believe I never heard of Keith Emerson prior to 1973. I love the Trilogy Album and I was blown away when I heard the Tarkus Album. Tarkus is one of those rare one-of-a-kind albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" is to Pink Floyd. Tarkus just can't be duplicated and it's one of my absolute favorites. When I heard Brain Salad Surgery, I was in love all over again.

I was mesmerized by Keith's performance at the California Jam in 1974. Early on, I knew Keith's keyboard work would be the measure by which I could judge my own keyboard skills. I've finally achieved the ability to play most of Keith's music. In 1973, I had only been playing keyboards for about a year and half so it seemed like an impossible task to learn and play Keith's music but I persevered.

A school buddy of mine was a Keith Emerson fanatic back then (he tuned into Keith way before I ever heard of him) and had actually managed to spend a little time talking with Keith backstage. (Lucky bastard!) He impressed Keith by bringing some obscure recording that Keith made many years prior. Keith admitted that he thought few would even remember that recording let alone possess a copy so needless to say, Keith was more than delighted to autograph it for him. He also got to shake Keith's hand, now that's priceless.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I saw the promo last night during the Saturday Night Live special - it was 1st Impression, part II...unless they have more than one, of course... ;)

dB

Correction made!!! Thanks for the catch...it was a long day...

Always heard it at Knick games last year during warm-ups.

The high point of music in the 1970's unfortunately overshadowed by disco.

It was as if prog were in a parallel universe where critics of the time, when interviewed today, choose to ignore the 'Chuck Yeager's' of rock and roll.

Tarkus - I agree. How unfortunate that ELP and others have been lost in the ridiculous shuffle of the music industry 'history'.

Again - it still amazes me how fresh the music sounds, and how sparkly the production values were. for 1973 or 2005 that was one awesome record in terms of fidelity. What an amazing sound!!! The CD version unfortunately compresses everything so much its hard for me to listen to. I remember finally getting BSS on CD in 1990 or so, and listening to the organ intro on KE9...everything was OK until the band kicked in. I was like - where's the punch, the big sound???

I hear the DVD audio version is better. But nothing beats a clean vynil original mix/master of Brain Salad Surgery...

Originally posted by ELP71:

Tarkus - I agree. How unfortunate that ELP and others have been lost in the ridiculous shuffle of the music industry 'history'.

Again - it still amazes me how fresh the music sounds, and how sparkly the production values were. for 1973 or 2005 that was one awesome record in terms of fidelity. What an amazing sound!!! The CD version unfortunately compresses everything so much its hard for me to listen to. I remember finally getting BSS on CD in 1990 or so, and listening to the organ intro on KE9...everything was OK until the band kicked in. I was like - where's the punch, the big sound???

I hear the DVD audio version is better. But nothing beats a clean vynil original mix/master of Brain Salad Surgery...

Agreed. The DVD audio version is nice, but with all this digital stuff I have to crank my bass to 'move the room'.

I listened to Jerusalem at top volume the other day - what a great arrangement.

I've been playing Tarkus for about 16 years. A couple passages I have given up on and replaced with something I don't need to practice everyday to maintain, but I'm at peace with that. I have the blue print song book and it's very true to the studio album. It's an amazing piece of music and something that is not only thrillng to play, but it's SO different that to whip that off in somebody's parlor on the old spinet blows people's minds. It's a great piece for solo piano, especially Manticore (I think it's Manticore) with the ascending left and right hand suspended fourths. Awesome stuff.

Regards,

Originally posted by Joe P:

It's an amazing piece of music and something that is not only thrillng to play, but it's SO different that to whip that off in somebody's parlor on the old spinet blows people's minds.

When I was at Alesis, I got to watch Emo do a piano-only version of Tarkus when he performed for us at a show we put together to premiere the QS8 in LA. :D

I was sitting only a few feet from him, so I was able to watch his hands - I was freakin' mesmerized. :eek::cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I would love to pick up that Tarkus book at some point. I have heard of people paying $100 for it on eBay and elsewhere...

I have also heard of people in the '70s seeing it music stores, not buying it thinking "I'll pick that up later..." only to never see it again. It has quite the 'Holy Grail' allure to me.

ELP71,

It's basically a transcription of the whole album. Infinite Space is a great piece to learn, and perfect as a warm up because it works every finger of each hand. And the triplet passage in The Only Way is a nice little ditty to whip off. So keep your eyes open for it.

Regards,

JoeP - In a couple days I'll be the proud owner of a Tarkus songbook (and another copy of the black book)...I just won a hotly contested eBay auction.

I feel like I'm in some exclusive club...

:D

Originally posted by ELP71:

JoeP - In a couple days I'll be the proud owner of a Tarkus songbook (and another copy of the black book)...I just won a hotly contested eBay auction.

I feel like I'm in some exclusive club...

:D

ELP71, Doesn't the ability to actually play Keith Emerson's music kind of put one in an exclusive club? I personally only know two other keyboard players that could play some of Keith's music. It's always a great joy to watch any keyboardist that's capable of playing a segment of Keith Emerson's music go at it. Now that's bonding. ;)

All told I've owned four copies of the Tarkus songbook. The first two copies I bought in Sam Ashe. The first of which I left in Virginia. The second was stolen from a hotel room.

The third and fourth I bought second hand and still have both. One was purchased from a guy working in a music store. The other was an eBay purchase.

I wouldn't be without a copy of the Tarkus songbook. It's just not done.

Carl

Krakit,

The only one I don't have is the one with the flames. What I'd REALLY like to have is the music for Karn Evil 9 Second Impression. One of my favorite pieces of music.

Hey Krakit, ever take a shot at the Fugue from the Endless Enigma in the Anthology? I slaved over that for a year in college, played it without a mistake only once. Now I can only play the first two bars.

Awful.

Regards,

Originally posted by tarkus:

Lucky bastid!

Back to the thread: I recall there was an episode of some crime drama where the Antagonist would put on 'Tarkus' before assaulting his victims.

I think the www.brain-salad.com data base has info on these fleeing ELP on TV moments.

Okay, allow me to demonstrate my flypaper mind. In the 1980s there was a particularly bad cartoon series called "Dinosaucers". The show was about a race of sentient dinosaurs from another planet. In one episode they had a flashback to their home world before it was blown up. A world inhabited by dinosaurs. :rolleyes:

Now for the reference. One of the dinosaurs was giving directions to another and mentions "the corner of Emerson Lake & Palmer".

I've carried that tidbit of trivia around with me for 20 years and this is the first time I've had an occasion to share it.

:wave:

Carl

Originally posted by Joe P:

Krakit,

The only one I don't have is the one with the flames. What I'd REALLY like to have is the music for Karn Evil 9 Second Impression. One of my favorite pieces of music.

Hey Krakit, ever take a shot at the Fugue from the Endless Enigma in the Anthology? I slaved over that for a year in college, played it without a mistake only once. Now I can only play the first two bars.

Awful.

Regards,

There was a time when I played ever single note from the Tarkus songbook as written. I haven't played much of it in a few years now. The two excpetions to that are Eruption, Aqua Tarkus and Infinite Space. When I have the time and inclination I'll carefully prop the book up on a music stand (very fragile these books) and try to get through it again. That opportunity may take quite a while to come. I spend all of my time writing new tunes for the band I'm in now. Perhaps on my next vacation. I'll let you know how the Prelude and Fugue sound at that time.

;)

Oh and don't bother getting the one with the flames. The "Greatest Hits" book is horrible. I could do a better job of transcribing this tunes myself. I only keep it because it's an ELP book. I ordered it over the internet. If I had thumbed through it in a store I would have passed on it completely. Like I said, more of a collectible at this point.

Carl

Doh, stupid me I just reread your post. I thought you were talking about the Only Way Hymn.

Yes, I've tried to get through the Fugue from Endless Enigma. The first page and half is NOT a problem, however from there it gets too hairy for me. I've wished for Taurus pedals to at least try the pedal tones (covered by Lake on bass). I can stumble through the whole thing but it's just that, stumbling. Great peice though.

Carl

Originally posted by Krakit:

Okay, allow me to demonstrate my flypaper mind. In the 1980s there was a particularly bad cartoon series called "Dinosaucers". The show was about a race of sentient dinosaurs from another planet. In one episode they had a flashback to their home world before it was blown up. A world inhabited by dinosaurs. :rolleyes:

Now for the reference. One of the dinosaurs was giving directions to another and mentions "the corner of Emerson Lake & Palmer".

I've carried that tidbit of trivia around with me for 20 years and this is the first time I've had an occasion to share it.

:wave:

Carl

LOL- Dinosaucers!

BTW I saw the commercial for Law and Order - Trial by Jury last night. My fiancee was laughing "I can't get away from your music!!!".

Somebody out there in TV-land loves prog.

What's next.... "Tonight on the Apprentice (Cue up UK's "Danger Money").

That dinosaur must use the same law firm I do!

My lawyer is an associate of the law firm Dewey, Cheatham and Howe who is headquartered at the corner of Emerson Lake & Palmer....

:rolleyes:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

There was a time when I played ever single note from the Tarkus songbook as written. I haven't played much of it in a few years now. The two excpetions to that are Eruption, Aqua Tarkus and Infinite Space.

...and you won't contribute to the cover CD? :rolleyes:

C'moooooon, dude...give us Eruption. I'll put it first...really I will.... :cool:

dB

There was a time when I played ever single note from the Tarkus songbook as written. I haven't played much of it in a few years now. The two excpetions to that are Eruption, Aqua Tarkus and Infinite Space.

...and you won't contribute to the cover CD? :rolleyes:

C'moooooon, dude...give us Eruption. I'll put it first...really I will.... :cool:

dB

No thanks. I don't vary it in anyway. The sounds I use are tweaked to be just like the album and everything. So the result is "why not just buy Tarkus instead of listening to this hack recreate it?" :D

Beside's, playing Eruption without going into The Stones of Years right after sounds unfinished. Isn't the time limit 5 minutes or something?

Carl

Beside's, playing Eruption without going into The Stones of Years right after sounds unfinished. Isn't the time limit 5 minutes or something?

Yeah, it is...

Okay, then - Aquatarkus is fine...do the live version with the improvised solo... :idea:

C'mooooon, Carl... :D

dB

Yeah, it is...

Okay, then - Aquatarkus is fine...do the live version with the improvised solo... :idea:

C'mooooon, Carl... :D

dB

I know you're joshing me, but that sounds like a lot of work. I'd have to relearn A.T. and an untranscribed solo, ugh. I'm too busy for that! If you were even half serious you'd be pushing me to do Infinite Space. It's short, sounds good on a single instrument and I've already stated that I still play it often.

;)

Carl

Archived