Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any good synth solos recorded in the last 10 years?

tarkus

The other thread "favorite keyboard solo" reminded me if I've heard anything good that came out in the last 10 years.

Nothing memorable. Any takers? Anything I should be listening to?

I'm talkin REAL Synth solos - excluding Dream Theater and other progs.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excluding prog? :eek: Damn. I'm guessing that Fusion is out too, yeah?

Perhaps you should listen to some Jamband (Gobi) stuff. Plenty of solos coming out in that genre.

To be fair, I don't listen to any pop music, so I wouldn't know if there are any solos that meet your criteria there or not.

Carl

Originally posted by tarkus:

I'm talkin REAL Synth solos - excluding Dream Theater and other progs.

I'm curious as to why the exclusion of Prog? Are we limiting this to just pop music? :confused:

And define "REAL Synth" ... are we limited to Mini's, Jupiters, and Obies, or do Andy and Ion solos count too? ;):P (tongue in cheek here, obviously... :D )

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by niacin:

nup.

what is nup? :freak:

It seems that the synth in melodic solo or intent had fallen out of favor in the early 1990's due to grunge and garage prominance.

Its funny we are seeing a return to vintage analog within the industry and 'that seventies feel' is almost over in pop in fashion. Just like we saw a return to rocka-billy in the 80's.

Today's audience are the children of the 70's kids. That'll be the driving engine behind the return of mono-synth leads.

Originally posted by Marzzz:

Originally posted by tarkus:

Today's audience are the children of the 70's kids. That'll be the driving engine behind the return of mono-synth leads.

......or the return of Disco!? :eek:

Disco only existed in comercial form from 1977-1980, (but it never really died).

The myth that the 70's was the 'decade of disco' still prevails.

I think Frampton Comes Alive was bigger than disco as well as Hotel California, or Steve Miller's Book of dreams. Two or three albums everyone had in their collection.

But I digress.....

My nephews search through my family's vast vinyl collection only to be perplexed by the Back cover of Tomita's Pictures At An Exhibition ("does he work for the phone company?"). After listening they laugh out loud at how weird it sounds but are focused on the panning effects that are non-existant in today's mp3 format muzak.

Archived