Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Explains Everything

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll bet that Reuters has a few fat binge drinkers on staff, too! :D I don't know about the drinking side of it, because I rarely drink anymore, but gee whiz, the size of people walking in and out of Wal*Mart is amazing. You could lock some of these people in a cage without food for six months and they'd STILL be fat. What's up with THAT? It wasn't like this before 1990. Don't blame McDonald's; McDonald's has been around since the fifties. If you make it, they will EAT it.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by realtrance: [b][URL=http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters12-31-074912.asp?t=renew&vts=123120021057]http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters12-31-074912.asp?t=renew&vts=123120021057[/ URL] We are a nation of fat binge drinkers. rt[/b][/quote]...and stupid people. Right on the top of the page it says, "...studies say." Studies don't "say" anything. I wouldn't care as much if it was just somebody using that expression in everyday conversation, but this is from a NEWS organization. UGH. There are no standards.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Agreed, that sounded like "8 out of 10 doctors recommend." This is another reason I've been trying hard to live in fantasy-land, it's become impossible to sort reality from confusion given the nature of the currently available input. Re: loads of large people, yes, I've noticed this as well. I don't know what it means but it does seem quite pervasive these days. :cry: Guess when you don't have much spare cash, and you're working overtime all the time just to stay afloat, and you know smokes will kill you, the only alternative is: NACHOS. Want some. Must get bigger. Must fit in. rt

"Large" is a relative term. One of my New Year's resolutions is to get back into better shape - get rid of the gut and get back to where I can pass a PFT with something resembling a respectable time / score... but yeah, it certainly does seem as though obesity is on the upswing. As far as Wal Mart goes, I think the variety and selection are okay, but the place is always a absolute chaotic madhouse, so I try to avoid it whenever possible.

I'm pretty active, what with a job that keeps me on my feet 25 hours a week and plenty to do around the house, including an hour or two each day of drumming. Still, though, I can't seem to get into better shape. It's not that I lack motivation; my 42 year old father just had a quadruple bypass a few months ago, saving him from the heart attack that killed my grandfather. still, though, as I sit home over the semester break, I can't seem to help myself when I see a batch of cookies on the table and a pepsi in the fridge. Is this why I can't lose weight? It's not a matter of binge eating, for me at least. I eat when I'm hungry, I just tend to be hungry all the time. Study after study show that people are wired to consume all the calories they can get, to stave off those periods of little or no food. It worked 20,000 years ago, but now I can get any food I want, any time of the day or night. It takes more than resolve to curb this programming. The people like me need to learn that it's OK to go hungry once and again. As far as drinking goes, who knows. Maybe the world's just gotten more depressing...
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]gee whiz, the size of people walking in and out of Wal*Mart is amazing. What's up with THAT? It wasn't like this before 1990. Don't blame McDonald's; McDonald's has been around since the fifties.[/b][/quote]True, but Super Sizing started around 1990 didn't it? If people can get a lot more of anything for 39 cents people often can't resist.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

It's really quite easy. Our whole society is based on shoving yummy shit into our mouths all the time. I'm really surprised that people, even the fat Wal Mart slobs, are in as good a shape as they are!!! Think of it. Most days I come to work, some asshole has left donuts there. And the stupid people circle the box like sharks saying "Oh, I shouldn't"... WELL, IF YOU SHOULDN'T, DON'T BUY THE FUCKING THINGS!!! That's easy! Now, go pay for your gas. What do your eyes behold? Chips, candy bars, twinkies, pop, all there for the taking. Go into a grocery store. What percentage of the items they stock are good, wholesome, healthy food items, and what percentage is yummy high calorie shit? When was the last time you had friends over to ride bikes or work out? People get together socially mainly for one reason...to stick shit in their mouths. "Come on over and EAT!" "Let's do LUNCH!" "Hey, there's a new Chinese restaurant opening, let's go EAT" "C'mon over and watch the game, we'll have a lot to EAT". Tell me it isn't true. Sure, McDonalds is a part. A very small part of a total culture set about telling us that we need to stick yummy shit in our mouths, but it's bad to be fat. You can't have your cake and EAT it, too.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] Don't blame McDonald's; McDonald's has been around since the fifties. [/b][/quote]McDonalds wasn't a franchise in the fifties yet.Around the mid-60's when it did become one,people did start to get really out of shape in this Country,but there was a boom of other fast food franchises as well(Kelly's/Jack-in-the-Box ect.).I really noticed it when I first went on tour in Europe in 72,the difference between this country and all of Europe was more than noticeable.A long steady diet of starch/sugar/and fat isn't exactly going to keep you in shape,in fact wer'e seeing an epidemic of sorts with a record number of young people contracting type 2 diabetes which is directly related to such a diet.While I don't hold McDonalds entirely responsible,they don't exaclty help the situation.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

We have been trained to be a nation of consumers. The saying 'Bigger is Better' has been thrown at us for years and I don't think the average person on the street is able to look past that line of bullshit to see what it does to us. And to make things worse there is the whole 'diet' industry telling you to eat this and don't eat that, really just confusing everybody even more. What these people really need is lifestyle changes. They have to realize that you don't have to stuff yourself every time you sit down at the dinner table. I have been doing a 'lifestyle' change. I have lost 15 pounds so far. It takes some work but it really hasn't been that difficult, it just takes some common sense about eating habits. But then again Common sense isn't all that common. :D

Just for grins, while I was employed and had money to burn, went out to the movies and figured I'd do my good deed for charity by paying the exorbitant prices (virtually the price of another ticket!) for a big tub o' popcorn. Was nice to sit thru the movie with an endless supply, but I almost kiled myself! Man. Never doing that again, but it's yet another example of what one person said above -- junk food is pervasive, the advertising is finely tuned with multi-millions of dollars of investment to study what hooks people, the fast food is taste-tested to be as addictive as possible. It's really the same logic as drives the illegal (and, more recently, legal) drug business. rt

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]My wife just went to Wal-mart. Should I be concerned? :confused: :confused: :confused: [/b][/quote]Damn! I just saw her there, drinking beer and eating brownies... :D No, wait, I was the one drinking beer and eating brownies...

Yes definately. And i also notice that different parts of the U.S. are in worse shape than others, too. I'm not sure how i ended up this way, but I'm a bit of a health-food nut, myself. I even have bouts of vegetarianism where i'll go months without eating any sort of meat. Somehow it came to where junk food just doesn't appeal to me in the least. I'm actually about 10 pounds over my `ideal weight': 5' 8.5" @ 150#.... My excuse is that you must have some extra cruft about you to survive a Midwestern Winter :D Yet (where i live) i'm considered a scrawny midget. If i go to dinner at someone's house they're always plopping a huge plate of over-cooked, over-seasoned food in front of me and saying "you're so skinny, you need to EAT!" as if i'm starving. I realise thier intentions are nothing but the best, but i think this is where we're getting ourselves in trouble. Eating huge amounts of food "because this is American, land of the Plenty". I myself, i only start eating when i feel hungry, and when i stop feeling hungry, i stop eating. It works out great. Heaping quantities of over-cooked food, lots of that "meat n potatoes" type diet. Lack of exercise. This will do none of us any good. Look at the Japanese- Very small portions of meat, and the rest is vegetables and rice or noodles. No huge, heaping portions of food. Also note the method of cooking- none of this "big roast in the crock pot all day"... thier food is cooked very quickly with a small amount of oil in a wok, or even steamed. Also notice how much thinner and healthier they are. We (the people of North America) can learn a LOT from the Japanese, and dining is no exception. I'm not saying i'm holier than thou- I still have some things in my diet/healthiness that i need to address, definately (the amount of soda i drink in a day, and smoking a pack of day isn't helping me, for example) but it is almost every day that i look around me in public and notice that pretty much EVERYONE i see could really use some help.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Does anyone remember those 6 ounce cokes and pepsi's? Or candy bars that costed a nickel? Now a small softdrink is 20 ounces with all kinds of supersizing upgrades. Candy bars come in kingsize and twin packs. The American "bigger is better" attitude, coupled with prosperity and abundance has made America a fat and happy nation. I don't know how you fix it, but it is sure gonna cost us all when all of these obese folks retire and get wieght related illnesses. Man this is depressing......pass me those nacho's. And super size them please.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b] Look at the Japanese- Very small portions of meat, and the rest is vegetables and rice or noodles. No huge, heaping portions of food. Also note the method of cooking- none of this "big roast in the crock pot all day"... thier food is cooked very quickly with a small amount of oil in a wok, or even steamed. Also notice how much thinner and healthier they are. We (the people of North America) can learn a LOT from the Japanese, and dining is no exception. [/b][/quote]Oh, naive phaeton, Have you ever been to Japan? Many fat asses. They love to snack on peices of pork rind, but with big lumps of fat still attached, and they really love deep fried pig head. They eat nuts covered in fried dough. Really, they love fat. The "japanese" cooking we get here in America is kind of "streamlined" and in some ways limited only to things that people of the "american healthnut" mentality can enjoy. Deepfried anchovy crackers anyone?

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Tedster, Why can't you have your cake AND eat it too? I've always wondered about that one.[/b][/quote][img]http://www.allinthefamilysit.com/images/archieedith/press_photo1a05242000.gif[/img] "Actually, I tawt it was about having my cake and Edith, too."

[b] Have you ever been to Japan? Many fat asses. They love to snack on peices of pork rind, but with big lumps of fat still attached, and they really love deep fried pig head. They eat nuts covered in fried dough. Really, they love fat. The "japanese" cooking we get here in America is kind of "streamlined" and in some ways limited only to things that people of the "american healthnut" mentality can enjoy. [/b] I've been duped! I've been living a lie the whole time *hangs head in shame, crawls under a rock with some baby carrots*

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I think a big part of the problem is that junk food is so cheap, readily available, available fast and tastes the best. How can you beat that?

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b][b] Have you ever been to Japan? Many fat asses. They love to snack on peices of pork rind, but with big lumps of fat still attached, and they really love deep fried pig head. They eat nuts covered in fried dough. Really, they love fat. The "japanese" cooking we get here in America is kind of "streamlined" and in some ways limited only to things that people of the "american healthnut" mentality can enjoy. [/b] I've been duped! I've been living a lie the whole time *hangs head in shame, crawls under a rock with some baby carrots*[/b][/quote]"Living a Lie" can be a good thing in this case! :thu: Over half my meals are asian in nature, I really like the Chinese food pyramid, 1 fistful of meat, 2 fistfuls of veggies, 3 fistfuls of rice. The U.S. "food pyramid", on the other hand, was held up for almost two years by the beef industry lobbyists because they wanted a bigger, um, "piece of the pie". :mad: I read something years ago that has helped me more than anything in controlling my weight: the stomach nerves actually take about twenty minutes to respond and signal the brain that, "Hey, we're full!" That's why you feel badly full after you've left the holiday table. Once I've eaten a reasonable portion, but still feel hungry, I just keep in mind that 15 or 20 minutes from now I'm going to feel full, and I do! Try it, it works.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]Tedster, Why can't you have your cake AND eat it too? I've always wondered about that one.[/b][/quote]Actually it's, "Eat your cake, and have it too?"

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] [quote]Originally posted by realtrance: [b][URL=http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters12-31-074912.asp?t=renew&vts=123120021057]http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusgen/reuters12-31-074912.asp?t=renew&vts=123120021057[/ URL] We are a nation of fat binge drinkers. rt[/b][/quote]...and stupid people. Right on the top [i]of the page it says[/i] , "...studies say." Studies don't "say" anything. I wouldn't care as much if it was just somebody using that expression in everyday conversation, but this is from a NEWS organization. UGH. There are no standards.[/b][/quote]And what does the page say? ;)
I really don't know what to put here.

Archived