Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Explains Everything

[b] I read something years ago that has helped me more than anything in controlling my weight: the stomach nerves actually take about twenty minutes to respond and signal the brain that, "Hey, we're full!" That's why you feel badly full after you've left the holiday table. Once I've eaten a reasonable portion, but still feel hungry, I just keep in mind that 15 or 20 minutes from now I'm going to feel full, and I do! Try it, it works. [/b] Yes, i know of this too. Part of my strategy is also how long it takes me to eat. I spend extra time chewing up my food and savoring it (well chewed food is best for proper digestion!). Let's say my friends and i were to go to a fast-food joint such as burger king. If i order a whopper jr. combo, by the time i've finished eating the sandwich, all my friends are done eating and helping themselves to my fries. Which is fine, because usually after a burger and soda i'm pretty full anyways.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never been to Japan, but there are a lot of overweight Japanese. Seen sumo wrestlers :eek: But they have to work hard to get that big. I'm married to a terrific Japanese lady, and she is schooling my children and I in healthy eating. We have had "shabu shabu", "teppan yaki" and something other kind I don't remember. The trick (or at least my understanding of it) is you don't cook in a lot of oil and/or butter, nor do you eat of lot of red meat. The Japanese eat a lot of ocean fish, and it's a lot healthier than red meat. (I know the beef industry doesn't like to hear this). A lot of Japanese can't afford to eat a lot of meat, so they season a lot of their food to make it seem like it's more. (I use furikake (seaweed)on the rice, and it helps you eat more of the rice (yikes, carbs)than the meat). I'm thinking that a lot of mid-westerners are going to have a hard time getting ocean fish (at least for a reasonable price), and I don't know about the nutritional value of various fresh water fishes, but it seems to me a change in diet couldn't hurt. YMMV
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Actually, seriously, I think the REAL problem is, we used to be a nation of chewing-gum addicts. You'd chew gum after meals, between meals, just all the time. Kept your mouth busy so you didn't mouth off impulsively, made you look kinda working-class when it was cool to look working-class, sent lotsa juices down to your digestion system to fool it into thinking it was busy so those damn lazy stomach nerves would go around cleaning up all the crap left over from the last meal, meanwhile your mouth juices would wipe out all the slime gathering around your teeth... Really, develop a gum-chewing habit and it'll probably help you lose weight, avoid cancer and heart disease, and it'll make you look cool, too. Just don't blow bubbles. rt

Carbs rule!! These low carb diets are insanity. Carbs are the preferred fuel for both the muscles AND the brain. The trick is not to eliminate carbs, but to eat quality carbs (fruits and vegetables) and to not overdo it. Fats and processed sugars, on the other hand, will kill you. I find it amazing that people will consume fried foods and sugary snack, drinks, and desserts and then pat themselves on the back for avoiding foods with quality carbohydrates. It's utter nonsense.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Carbs rule!![/b][/quote]I love the carbs...eat them all the time, along with a pretty good balance of proteins, fats and other edibles. My feeling on body types: it's all about genetics. I eat all day long and am thin (5' 11", 160 lbs.). Hey, guess what? Both of my folks are also thin. A friend of mine is very careful about his intake...what he eats and how much. He has a little calorie calculator on hand. He is about 6 feet and weighs 240. And guess what? His folks are both big people as well. The thing to note at this point is to make sure you distinguish between body type and health...they're not always tied as closely together as everyone tends to assume. - Jeff

• 1 year later...

Archived