Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i've sucumbed to GAS ...

clusterchord

altough i was looking hard for a JP8 for a while now, as some of you know, i snatched an OBXA in the end.

three reasons: the price was good, i decided that its CEM sound complements A6 better than JP8 (A6 can do some of JP palette, like silky strings and pwm sounds) and finally - Jupiter 8 currently has over-inflated prices. i just dont think its worth $2500-2700 what they tend to go for right now. That's not to say i aint gonna get one - sooner or later.

this OBXA an 8 voice model with 120 memories, and has on board MIDI - unfortunately, one of the early ones that's a bit sluggish. Soon as new Encore becomes available i'll replace it. Encore will have MIDI CC transmit/receive of all knobs, as well as velo control of VCA and VCF via MIDI!!

here are the pic:

http://www.babic.com/GIFs/OBXA2b.jpg

http://www.babic.com/GIFs/OBXA5b.jpg

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Cluster. Are you going to clue us in what you got it for or what?

That looks like its in great shape. Nice. The OBXa is still my favorite analog, with all due respect to my Prophet 5, which still has the edge for sound effects.

Pony up, what did you steal it for? :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Jeepers! I love the Jupiter like crazy, but I would have hopped on an Oberheim first too. The Midi implementation is incredible! How did Encore manage that?? My envy of you knows no bounds!

I mean... uhm, great find. :thu:

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Congrats Tom, looks like it's in nice conditions! :):thu:

About complementing the sound of the A6, I think you're absolutely right; in terms of sound character, an Oberheim has what the A6 doesn't have, and viceversa. The Andy can do Jupiter sounds pretty closely, but it has difficulty to come up with Oberheim warmth.

I'm presently programming sounds for a CD project, and the difference in sound texture/spectrum/equalization between my Matrix 12 and my Andromeda surprises me every time.

Enjoy the new toy!

Originally posted by synthetic:

I would say your Super Jupiter covers the Jupiter 8 sound better than the A6, no?

actually i was preoccupied with this JP8 'emulation' issue quite a bit. From my experience, it's a tie between MKS80 REV5 and A6. Each of them 'covers' a different area or aspect of Jupiter 8 sound. Few posts i've done on HC about the subject: here and here . i discussed this with our Colin Chung - he has JP8, MKS80 Rev5 and A6, so he's experience was invaluable.

Originally posted by Array:

what about your other vintage prospect? :D

I'm still waiting for him to email me. shhhh..

Originally posted by MikeT156:

OK Cluster. Are you going to clue us in what you got it for or what?

all right then, it was 600 EUR plus shipping.

Originally posted by marino:

The Andy can do Jupiter sounds pretty closely, but it has difficulty to come up with Oberheim warmth.

A6 and CEM vco cannot sound more different. Also, OBXa warmth comes from 2x2pole in series filters that both saturate - resulting in unheard of girth. A6 filters can get 'driven' as well, but they dont saturate in that manner - when pushed to far A6 gets that unique metallic sound that i dont always like so much, but it works wonders on some agressive sounds.

thanks guys, i'm so happy. its one of the synths i've been wanting for ages..

Hey Cluster:

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the OBXa after you've played around with it for awhile. You have a nack of comparing the sonic differences between vintage boards and can usually isolate WHY there's a difference. My compliments. Enjoy your Oberheim, you have excellent taste. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Hey Cluster: I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the OBXa after you've played around with it for awhile. You have a nack of comparing the sonic differences between vintage boards and can usually isolate WHY there's a difference. My compliments. Enjoy your Oberheim, you have excellent taste. :)

thanks Mike, nice to hear you think so. i do find those subtle differences in sound and hardware/topology really fascinating. or i just have to much free time on my hands..

yep, i can't wait to dig into its sound engine, it's supposed to arrive on Tuesday. that's helluva long time.. :freak:

I had an OB-Xa for a couple of years and sold it because I wanted something more flexible. I´m happier with my current setup, but I miss the ballsyness of the Obie; playing in unison mode with full portamento while tweaking the filters can be really addictive! :D

Archived