Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New rackmount MiniMoog Voyager!

Analogaddict

At the price of minimoog voyager(keynoard version) there are several high-end analogue synth alternatives:

1.Studio Eletronics Omega(4 voice)

2.Customized synthesizers.com modular synth

3.Macbeth m5

4.or simply-some used analogue vintage synths-Oberheim OBX-a,minimoog,memorymoog,yamaha cs 80,Oberheim matrix 12 ,ARP 2600,Elka synthex etc.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, and not to mention the soon-to-be-released Poly Evolver Keyboard, by another great legend in the industry. The Studio Electronic stuff is really great sounding, and solidly built, as is the Andromeda. Got to check out the Macbeth...

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

A Voyager costs about three grand. I'll bet that most of you have paid a LOT more than that for a car. I'll bet that your rent/house payments for a year costs a lot more than three grand. I'll bet that most of you have spent more than three grand on beer and/or cigarettes in your lifetime.

If you want the best, you have to prioritize. Have you ever seen a Voyager, touched one, played one, or (gasp) lifted one? This is NOT a Virus or a Fantom. It's not a digitized, mathematical model of a synth voice. It's a big, heavy piece of wood and metal that's packed with real analog components.

I, for one, am glad that Moog isn't cheapening its product line with a Cheesymoog model that competes with flimsy plastic romplers assembled by robots.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Hey Dan South, at least you didn't spout all the emotional nonsense like some other posters about Robert Moog being a Treasure to the industry and "The Minimoog is one of the quintessential synthesizers ever produced. How much is the sound of your synth worth?" and "Buying a Voyager (or old Minimoog) is like buying a Stradivarius from the designer". A Mini Moog a Stradivarious? I owned two of them. Hardly. The Voyager, maybe.

The Voyager sounds great, has more up to date features, very well built. Probably overbuilt (gold contacts? why? silver is a better conductor) But its only a MONO synth. Maybe its a Lexus, but I wouldn't buy a Lexus with a one cylinder engine either. I think its over priced for what it DOES. Conversely, I wouldn't want to see Moog stamping out mass produced cheap clones. But there are plenty of less expensive synths on the market that are polyphonic, and are more capable. A fancy package doesn't make the sound. I've balked at the Voyager price for capability routinely. The 50th anniversary edition "collector's" Moog for 3495.00 is all about the money, not the sound. If you want to drop that kind of money on a MONO synth, you have a lot more to burn than I do.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

The Voyager sounds great, has more up to date features, very well built. Probably overbuilt (gold contacts? why? silver is a better conductor) But its only a MONO synth. Maybe its a Lexus, but I wouldn't buy a Lexus with a one cylinder engine either. I think its over priced for what it DOES. Conversely, I wouldn't want to see Moog stamping out mass produced cheap clones. But there are plenty of less expensive synths one the market that are polyphonic, and are more capable. A fancy package doesn't make the sound. I've balked at the Voyager price for capability routinely. The 50th anniversary edition "collector's" Moog for 3495.00 is all about the money, not the sound. If you want to drop that kind of money on a MONO synth, you have a lot more to burn than I do.

Mike T.

So what justification does someone purchasing a Selmer Mark VI have for spending way more money than they would on another saxophone? (oh, and it's monophonic too).

And what justification does a guitarist have for paying more for Sunburst or Transparent finish, Gold hardware, or for buying a limited production run of an instrument (like the recent 50th Anniversary editions of Fender Strats).

Sure, the extra $ was for cosmetics, but why not? I bet the anniversary edition outsold the regular edition last year, despite the fact that it was more expensive.

Most sax players have ONE main instrument so they can blow the wad on it. I played with sax players in groups and one of them had both a tenor and an alto sax. The tenor sax was top of the line, the alto wasn't. Both of them were pretty dated, but both sounded good. Keyboard players typically have more than one KB, most of us multitude keyboards with various capability. If all I had to buy was ONE sax, you better believe I would have a top of the line instrument. For my act, I need 3, and have a number of other synths that are "obsolete" by today's standards, so the cost of a KB rig is higher than the cost of a reed instrument player's ax. Most every KB player I ever knew spent a lot more money on their rig than all the other players in the band. Often times, more money than all the other players combined. Don't forget to add an amp, a mixer, speakers, outboard effects, that a KB player needs that the sax player doesn't. Apples and oranges my friend.

There are some guitar players I know that have more than one guitar, but none of them have more than one top of the line model, like a Les Paul. I've know guys that had a Les Paul, a Stratocaster, and maybe one other ax in their arsenial, but never more than one top of the line model, and sometimes the second and third guitars were used. Minor role in their music, spent minor money on it.

Those of us that have to buy gear with "disposable" income for what's now primarily a hobby after paying all the bills can't afford expensive one trick ponies. When I did play full time on the road, more of my money went toward gear because that's what I did for a living. Those that can afford to spend money on the fancy toys, go for it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

> moogs are high quality, very nice looking.

>if money were no object, i'd have one for every > room;

LOL! And I'd have a new B-3 in half of my rooms, plus one on the back porch!

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Because keyboards have "always" been capable of playing more than one note at a time. You can depress and sound one "key" at a time on a Sax. Its not the same type of instrument. Harpichord, Piano, Pipe Organs in churches in the middle ages, pump organs in the 19th century, Hammond console and B series organs have always been polyphonic. Saxphones have always been monophonic. I've never seen music written for piano or organ that wasn't "polyphonic". Try playing one note at a time on a piano at a piano recital and see how people like it.

Mike T.

The Minimoog being monophonic opened up a whole new world of playing for keyboard players. Jan Hammer, in particular, brought synth lead playing to the forefront. I'm not talking about just guitar emulation but rather a completely new style and approach. For the first time, keyboard players could go head to head with the most expressive soloists, e.g. guitar, sax, etc. He also taught us how to use expressive controls like pitch bend and modulation in a very musical way. Had the first synths been polyphonic from the start, in all likelihood synth lead playing would not have evolved as it did. The same could be said of the whole art of playing Moog basslines. The legato triggering, the sound AND the fact that it was a monophonic instrument opened up this new approach to playing.

Sometimes limitations force people to take new paths. And that is GOOD.

Busch.

Quite true Busch. I was on that bandwagon back then, and I was happy with not only a new sound, but a new concept. However, that was 30+ years ago. I still enjoy playing my Moog Source, although I've gotten accustom to playing Poly KBs, and I don't always get the results I am expecting when I play on a mono. But that's not a big deal.

My point is and has been, I think its too expensive for what it does in this day and age. I have to look at capability and cost when I add another instrument to my rig, bang for the buck. No question the Voyager is a Lexus in terms of quality. Still not on my shopping list. :)

In all fairness to Moog, I've spent a little time on their website listening to their demos. They've done a nice job with the selection of patches they presented and it gives a listener a good idea of some of the things you can do with it. I assume the demoes are part of their patch memory selections on the Voyager. It sounds suspiciously like a Mini Moog! Very well done. :)

Mike T.

Very Classy looking. $2195.00. Wood Panels on the rack option $69.00. Might as well go for the Voyager, unless you're going to "upgrade" your existing one.

That comment about Guitar Center slays me. :) I guess that means you can only get it gray market from GC when there's an inventory glut. :D

Mike T.

Archived