Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New rackmount MiniMoog Voyager!

Analogaddict

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$1700 for rack?!?

so, what does that show us? it shows that Voyagers small keyboard and flashy wheels are valued at $800+, considering the Voyager retail, no? haven't noticed they're made of gold, gotta check again..

either that, or it prooves Voyager is just overpriced as it is. it's retail shouldn't be more than arround 2k, all above is clearly a ripoff.

who knows, maybe they reduce the price of Vyg. a bit in the coming year..

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Originally posted by clusterchord:

$1700 for rack?!?

so, what does that show us? it shows that Voyagers small keyboard and flashy wheels are valued at $800+, considering the Voyager retail, no? haven't noticed they're made of gold, gotta check again..

either that, or it prooves Voyager is just overpriced as it is. it's retail shouldn't be more than arround 2k, all above is clearly a ripoff.

who knows, maybe they reduce the price of Vyg. a bit in the coming year..

Actually, I find the $1700 price tag to be reasonably. Not agressive, but reasonable. Remember the Studio Electronics SE-1x is $1499 (probably the closest competitor). The rack is minus the keyboard, wheels, touch panel and solid wood case. Plus the rack has the back lit panel like the anniversary model. The build quality of the Voyager is high. The use metal stem pots which have close to zero flex. Everyone else uses plastic (even the Omega8). The Voyager weighs in at 40 lbs which is very heavy for a synth its size without a weighted keyboard. But then wood and metal weigh more than plastic. How much is the Moog name and Moog filter worth?

Busch.

What a ripoff.

I was a Moog fan from way back, but I have lost faith in Moog Music now. As you mentioned, with all the new interesting stuff that's available, why bother with this over-priced dinosaur of a company?

I think a lot of moog music right now is just the name and the historical context and not much else. There's much more interesting stuff out there that's for sure.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Remember the Studio Electronics SE-1x is $1499 (probably the closest competitor).

Two filters and stereo outs on the Voyager, vs. four envelopes, four LFOs, ring modulator etc. on the SE-1. Those extra envs and LFOs are digital, though. Anybody knows whether the dedicated LFO on the Voyager is digital or analog?

The Voyager weighs in at 40 lbs which is very heavy for a synth its size without a weighted keyboard.

One of the things I really appreciate about the SE-1 is, it only weights 5 lbs!

How much is the Moog name and Moog filter worth?

Well, I feel that the Moog filter still sounds a tiny bit better than the SE - but the difference is very, very small. Of course, people tend to hear what they are told to, so maybe they just hear the 'Moog' logo... :)

I dunno, 1700.00 bucks is speculation. Anyway, the DSI Evolver KB is probably going to sell for around 2k or a little more. Moog can have their mono rack unit. The DSI Evolver is polyphonic with 4 independent voices, and arps for each. The Voyager can't carry the Evolver's dirty jockey shorts.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The DSI Evolver is polyphonic with 4 independent voices, and arps for each. The Voyager can't carry the Evolver's dirty jockey shorts.
Isn't this the same mentality as "why buy a 4 voice Evolver when I could buy a 16 voice A6 for a few hundred more?" I dont believe the Poly Evolver was designed to compete with the Voyager or the Andromeda although I could be mistaken. All three are unique instruments that fit a particular niche. I thought people were crazy to buy a Voyager when they could buy an A6 for less. That is until I bought my A6. And then my Voyager. And maybe a PolyEvolver. Maybe we dont need to put down one model to justify buying another. Or did Bob Moog all of a sudden become a bad guy?

Markey, yeah it is the same mentality. The thing that makes Moog the bad guy is the PRICE. Why pay Moog's price for primarily a one trick pony? Maybe the Poly Evolver KB wasn't designed to compete with the Voyager, but I'd have to be a fool to ignore it for sound, capability, and the price.

I think the Moog Voyager is a quality built piece, no question about it, but if you're going to go through all that trouble, why just make it mono? You could say I'm completely wrong because I don't know how much it costs to build, but I do know how much I'd be willing to spend on a mono synth, and the Voyager ain't it.

Mike.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think the Moog Voyager is a quality built piece, no question about it, but if you're going to go through all that trouble, why just make it mono? You could say I'm completely wrong because I don't know how much it costs to build, but I do know how much I'd be willing to spend on a mono synth, and the Voyager ain't it.

How dare you use logic and cost considerations in your purchase decisions? I wouldn't attempt to convice you otherwise. :freak::rolleyes:

Originally posted by Markyboard:

The DSI Evolver is polyphonic with 4 independent voices, and arps for each. The Voyager can't carry the Evolver's dirty jockey shorts.
Isn't this the same mentality as "why buy a 4 voice Evolver when I could buy a 16 voice A6 for a few hundred more?" I dont believe the Poly Evolver was designed to compete with the Voyager or the Andromeda although I could be mistaken. All three are unique instruments that fit a particular niche. I thought people were crazy to buy a Voyager when they could buy an A6 for less. That is until I bought my A6. And then my Voyager. And maybe a PolyEvolver. Maybe we dont need to put down one model to justify buying another. Or did Bob Moog all of a sudden become a bad guy?
Voyager rack monosynth = $1700 (ok, speculation)

DSI evolver monosynth = $500.

yes their different, but if we're gonna make comparisons this or the SE-1 has gotta be it on any count except, obviously, price. (The Polyevolver and the Andromeda cover way more territory than the Voyager can). Something's gotta give.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Just to put things in perspective :freak: here is the latest review of the original minimoog on Harmony Central (no I didn't write it ...) pasted here for your convenience: :D

Price Paid: US $0. I found it in the garbage (now I know why!) used

Ease of Use: 1

I can't understand this machine because it is too powerful for my mind capabilities. Although "Mini" it's a giant to figure out.

Features: N/A

This thing is horrible! My radioshack $20 keyboard has more possibilities than this. No Midi = More sh**ty. It doesn't even have built in speakers! I had to buy $25 computer monitors, $25!!!! What a waste of good money, I could of bought a slegehammer to finish the job that must be done. When I sit in on my couch and see the Mini Mess, It just seems to be calling my name and saying, "Kill me, take away the horrible horrible pain!"

Expressiveness/Sounds: 2

Most unrealistic sounds I have heard in my life, when I first plugged it in to my $25 speakers ($25!!!!) I literally thought the speakers were melting. One note polyphony....What??? The piano sound didn't sound ANYTHIING like a piano. God created pianos to sound rich and elegant, Moog.... you have just created the anti-christ, cheers.

Reliability: 1

After 10 minutes of use it started making this strange noise, then it started smoking and my smoke detector went of, and then I thought, "Gee, at least this annoying alarm doesn't sound as bad as that that Moog over there". The only thing that this is reliable for is for using it as a fog machine at a lazer light show. Take caution because vintage synths are known for starting on fire and exploding.

Customer Support: 10

Oh yes... they were so kind and friendly to tell me that to repair my mini moog, that it would cost $50!!!!!!!!!! (and remember, i already threw $25 into this vicious cycle just to hear a "piano") Beware of the Moog, they just break and cause you to lose your money.

Overall Rating: 4

If you see a Mini Moog anytime in your life, run. By the way, when you play chords, it only makes one note. What??? Is that what you call a chord Moog? If thats a chord, then I'm superman.

Also, it's so ugly! Get your hands on some of the sleek and smooth keyboards (I prefer Casio) Plus, whats up with the wood? Everybody knows that plastics make it possible. If I could wish anything it could have, it would have to be a self-terminate button, and possibly built in speakers, so I could hear it die with clarity.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Originally posted by niacin:

Just to put things in perspective :freak: here is the latest review of the original minimoog on Harmony Central (no I didn't write it ...) pasted here for your convenience: :D

I can't understand this machine because it is too powerful for my mind capabilities. Although "Mini" it's a giant to figure out.

This thing is horrible! My radioshack $20 keyboard has more possibilities than this. No Midi = More sh**ty. It doesn't even have built in speakers! I had to buy $25 computer monitors, $25!!!! What a waste of good money, I could of bought a slegehammer to finish the job that must be done. When I sit in on my couch and see the Mini Mess, It just seems to be calling my name and saying, "Kill me, take away the horrible horrible pain!"

Most unrealistic sounds I have heard in my life, when I first plugged it in to my $25 speakers ($25!!!!) I literally thought the speakers were melting. One note polyphony....What??? The piano sound didn't sound ANYTHIING like a piano. God created pianos to sound rich and elegant, Moog.... you have just created the anti-christ, cheers.

After 10 minutes of use it started making this strange noise, then it started smoking and my smoke detector went of, and then I thought, "Gee, at least this annoying alarm doesn't sound as bad as that that Moog over there". The only thing that this is reliable for is for using it as a fog machine at a lazer light show. Take caution because vintage synths are known for starting on fire and exploding.

Oh yes... they were so kind and friendly to tell me that to repair my mini moog, that it would cost $50!!!!!!!!!! (and remember, i already threw $25 into this vicious cycle just to hear a "piano") Beware of the Moog, they just break and cause you to lose your money.

If you see a Mini Moog anytime in your life, run. By the way, when you play chords, it only makes one note. What??? Is that what you call a chord Moog? If thats a chord, then I'm superman.

Also, it's so ugly! Get your hands on some of the sleek and smooth keyboards (I prefer Casio) Plus, whats up with the wood? Everybody knows that plastics make it possible. If I could wish anything it could have, it would have to be a self-terminate button, and possibly built in speakers, so I could hear it die with clarity.

:D:D:D This is a joke,right?

For sure Milos. There's a number of practical jokers on Harmony Central. Wish I could find a Mini Moog somewhere and get one for free. At the prices Moog is charging for new ones, thats about the only way I would get one nowadays. :)

Mike T.

Here's the big question: Can you join components of a Voyager and a Voyager rack to create a more complex "modular" voice architecture - using the CV expansion kit - or is layering the best that you can hope for?

6 oscillators

4 envelopes

2 LFO's

sounds like fun!!!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Here's the big question: Can you join components of a Voyager and a Voyager rack to create a more complex "modular" voice architecture - using the CV expansion kit - or is layering the best that you can hope for?

6 oscillators

4 envelopes

2 LFO's

sounds like fun!!!!

All I found was this:

"Multiple RMEs can be chained together with MIDI to achieve polyphony."

Busch.

Originally posted by Dan South:

Here's the big question: Can you join components of a Voyager and a Voyager rack to create a more complex "modular" voice architecture - using the CV expansion kit - or is layering the best that you can hope for?!

Kinda half-and-half....if I were going to expand a Voyager beyond the VX-351, I would consider getting a rack of modules from (for example) synthesizers.com or Doepfer as opposed to getting a Moog rack. Much cheaper, too.....but the Voyager does make an awesome CV control interface.

Originally posted by Milos:

Originally posted by niacin:

:D:D:D This is a joke,right?
Or maybe he's just trying to drag prices down?

I wish someone would find a way to get Moog to lower their prices. I'm waiting to see what the rack is going to retail for. We've been having quite a heated debate on Harmony Central about the prices of Moog's Boutique Collector's/investor gear. Of course, I'm the instigator of the anti Moog sentiment. :) Robert Moog should consider selling real estate, that's where the real money is. :D

Mike T.

Maybe he will eventually follow the same path taken by other manufacturers that sell at a high price, and then drop prices when sells fall off. But really, why should he drop prices now when demand is still keeping up with supply? I would like to have a Lexus, but I don't expect to buy a Lexus for the same price as my Dodge, even if they are the same size and have the same features.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Wow - a Moog thread about price of all things?

People are paying nearly $2,300 for Marshall handwired reissue guitar amps, and routinely pay thousands of dollars for custom shop guitars.

Moogs don't come off some assembly line in a factory in China. They're not mass-produced ROMplers. If any of you saw the Moog documentary, you saw the care with which these things are built in North Carolina. And if you've played one, you know that there's nothing else quite like it.

Only a Moog is a Moog. The Minimoog is one of the quintessential synthesizers ever produced. How much is the sound of your synth worth?

Geesh! What a bunch of whiners! Sure they're not competetively priced, but as long as they're selling enough of them, why should they be? Moog spent lots of years with an unprofitable company. Now he's got a good thing going. This stuff is all market driven. When they won't sell, the price will come down.

A lot of keyboards have been lots more horrifically priced than the Voyagers. I thought the Synclavier was pretty cool when it came out but I didn't have $25,000 handy so I didn't buy one. Then there was the Fairlight. Maybe I should have picketed out front of their offices until they got more reasonable.

It would be fun to have a Lexus too, but I can't afford one so I won't buy one. I wonder if there's a car forum where everyone's bitching about that?

No matter what price a Moog product sells for, one thing remains: Bob Moog (and Dave Smith, for that matter), is a treasure in the industry. What a great inventor and synth designer! The man gave us the synth many others have been chasing in their designs (as far as the analog portions of their sound) for decades. The workmanship in a Voyager is second to none; the instrument (like the Minimoog) has an enduring mystique. Moog's name has become a household word for the masses when speaking of synthesizers; manufacturers of other keyboards fill their sound banks with titles like Moog bass, mini 1, mini 2, Lucky Man, etc.

Plenty of manufacturers have created splendid analog style synths. Buying a Voyager (or old Minimoog) is like buying a Stradivarius from the designer. :cool:

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Archived