Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shielding Alesis Monitor Ones

Hey Folks, I just rearranged my office/studio and now have my Alesis Monitor Ones positioned on each side of my computer screen (19" CRT). Of course I'm having the problem of the speakers interfering with the color on the screen. I've searched through threads here and one person said he had put a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum between his speakers and screen. He didn't say how well it worked. I've also heard other people talk about "MU" metal. Anyone know what this is, if it's effective and if so where to get it? I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. And please, no LCD suggestions. I'm aware that they are not subject to the magnetic fields, but it's just not in the budget right now. Thanks, Chris

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mu-metal is a nickel-iron alloy (77% nickel, 15% iron, plus copper and molybdenum) that is very efficient for screening magnetic fields. It is used to shield vacuum chambers for experiments with low-energy electrons. The name of the material refers to the Greek letter μ, which is the symbol for magnetic permeability. Mu-metal has a high value of μ

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by GusTraX: [b]Mu-metal is a nickel-iron alloy (77% nickel, 15% iron, plus copper and molybdenum) that is very efficient for screening magnetic fields. It is used to shield vacuum chambers for experiments with low-energy electrons. The name of the material refers to the Greek letter μ, which is the symbol for magnetic permeability. Mu-metal has a high value of μ[/b][/quote]Hi Gus, Thanks for the quick response. Do you know where I can purchase this material? Thanks, Chris

http://www.mag-inc.com/metals.asp http://www.aircraftmaterialsuk.com/data/electronic/almu.html :thu:

www.guslozada.com

I saw a couple others that sell it too, but it looks like it would be hella expensive! No one quotes ANY sort of pricing, and the applications listed are either medical or scientific shielding. Anybody ever buy this stuff?? How much $$ are you talking about here??

You might get some weird replies if you call up an aircraft manufacturer and say " Hey can you cut me a little piece of that?" Then again, they might hook ya up. Hey here's a related question. I was thinking about building a computer case out of wood. Shouldn't you line it with some sort of shielding?

Aluminun? It has little magnetic properties as far as I recall. I don't see how it would work well as magnetic sheilding. You might want to look into a flat screen monitor. They are not affected by magnets and by the time you go through all the trouble of trying to sheild your monitors it might be worth thr investment. Or even buy some sheilded monitors.

[quote]Originally posted by Yuri T.: [b]Aluminum? It has little magnetic properties as far as I recall. I don't see how it would work well as magnetic sheilding. You might want to look into a flat screen monitor. They are not affected by magnets and by the time you go through all the trouble of trying to sheild your monitors it might be worth thr investment. Or even buy some sheilded monitors.[/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Yuri T.: [b]Or even buy some sheilded monitors.[/b][/quote]This was going to be my suggestion. By the time you put the materials and effort into shielding your Monitor Ones, you probably could have just purchased either a) a new flat screen monitor that doesn't require shielding since there's no CRT, or b) a new pair of inexpensive shielded monitors. Almost all decent new powered monitors are shielded. When I was at Alesis and we designed the Monitor Ones, there wasn't nearly the number of folks that were doing computer audio compared to now (that was in 1992). The main required application for shielding back then was for people doing video post production. These days, all speaker manufacturers have to assume that the monitors may be in close proximity to a monitor (the visual variety). - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Yuri T.: [b]Or even buy some sheilded monitors.[/b][/quote].. may I suggest some models? :D I was just answering to our friends's question and yes, it might be quite expensive to get the MU METAL panels but hey, it was interesting to do a google search on mu metal vendors...

www.guslozada.com

i absolutely LOVE my monitor ones like some folks love their NS10's. i too have the monitor sheilding issue. after a lot of experimenting/trial/error, i found that if i place the speakers exactly 11" from my CRT monitors and slightly forward of the CRT's they dont interfere. of course, this goes to heck if you crank'em. crankem to unreasonable levels and the CRT's get real weird, flaky shakey picture, phasing, ets but never the "rainbow" effect of placing them too close. i dont have any sheilding, just placed the monitor ones 11" to the side and slightly forward the CRT's. of course, if you have only one CRT your set. i have two, and it makes my nearfield a little wide.

Thanks for all of the replies. Its sounding like I'm not likely to find an inexpensive way to create any type of shielding. I didn't really want an LCD display, I'm not won over by their image clarity yet. But so far that looks like the only solution. Thanks All, Chris

Archived